Good for a laugh

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
So it was 71* last Saturday and with the rain/snow melting my yard was pretty soft. I figured it was good conditions to roll it. I still had the turf tires on the BX2200, but thought to myself "It'll be fine".....

Well, obviously it wasn't. I was rolling along fine and then hit an extra soft spot and sunk. Tried to get out, but all it did was make trenches and eventually dig deeper and deeper. I could pull myself along with the FEL, but couldn't get the tires out of the ruts.

So then I decided I would pull it out with my Excursion. Pulled around back on semi firm ground with no issue, but my chain wasnt long enough. rolled forward 10 feet and the Excursion sank too.......clear up to the axle.

Ended up having a tow truck winch out the Excursion. I I was able to use a come along to get the BX up on 2x12's, but it would get stuck the second it rolled off them.

Left it there for a few days to let it dry out a little. Then I swapped out the turf tires for my AG ones. Was able to drive right out. Still left some shallow ruts, but didnt lose traction or spin the tires.

So the lesson is.......If you are feeling lazy and think "It'll be fine", it probably won't. Enjoy the pics. Hope ya'll get a good chuckle at it.

Both Stuck
AllStuck.jpeg

Ruts from the tractor.
TRuts.JPG

Ruts from winching out the Excursion
ERuts.JPG

Tractor up on boards
Boards.JPG

Finally Free
Free.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
so..... when do you get OUT of the 'doghouse'????
Lucky for me there was no doghouse. Wife just kinda shook her head and then asked how she could help.......of course this was after she razzed me, took lots of pics and sent them to all her friends.

I did find is pretty ironic that I was trying to smooth out the yard and only succeeded in creating more giant ruts. Glad we were already planning on bringing in a load of topsoil for other projects and over seeding areas

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
All that I can guess is that this is the first spring that you have lived in this home. If not, then you are a veeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyy slow learner. It gets muddy this time of the year every year. Most of us have already learned this lesson once and don't repeat it...

Reactions: 1 user

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
All that I can guess is that this is the first spring that you have lived in this home. If not, then you are a veeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyy slow learner. It gets muddy this time of the year every year. Most of us have already learned this lesson once and don't repeat it...
3rd spring, but first time rolling with the BX and first time getting anything stuck. Definitely a lesson learned.

75-80% of the yard was fine. Soft, but not where I would sink or tear it up rolling. Need to spend a little more time walking the property looking for these soft spots before I get after it.

Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Enjoyed it, thanks for posting!
BTDT.
Just not with the tractor.
Yet.

• Haha

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I have very clay soil here. I don't go on the lawn until I can clearly see the frost is gone because a couple of warm days only thaws less than the first foot trapping water there. I had to go on it with the truck 2 weeks ago to get a new washer and dryer in the wider front door. I made some of the same ruts as you but not as deep. I was thinking it was still froze and I would be OK.

Wife is happy with the new washer/dryer so no dog house for me!

Bill

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
So it was 71* last Saturday and with the rain/snow melting my yard was pretty soft. I figured it was good conditions to roll it. I still had the turf tires on the BX2200, but thought to myself "It'll be fine".....

Well, obviously it wasn't. I was rolling along fine and then hit an extra soft spot and sunk. Tried to get out, but all it did was make trenches and eventually dig deeper and deeper. I could pull myself along with the FEL, but couldn't get the tires out of the ruts.

So then I decided I would pull it out with my Excursion. Pulled around back on semi firm ground with no issue, but my chain wasnt long enough. rolled forward 10 feet and the Excursion sank too.......clear up to the axle.

Ended up having a tow truck winch out the Excursion. I I was able to use a come along to get the BX up on 2x12's, but it would get stuck the second it rolled off them.

Left it there for a few days to let it dry out a little. Then I swapped out the turf tires for my AG ones. Was able to drive right out. Still left some shallow ruts, but didnt lose traction or spin the tires.

So the lesson is.......If you are feeling lazy and think "It'll be fine", it probably won't. Enjoy the pics. Hope ya'll get a good chuckle at it.

Both Stuck
View attachment 76271

Ruts from the tractor.
View attachment 76269

Ruts from winching out the Excursion
View attachment 76270

Tractor up on boards
View attachment 76272

Finally Free
View attachment 76273
Looks like the chickens enjoyed your experience!

RichOzz

Equipment
L2501 HST w/LA525 66" bucket BH77 LA BB1260 RCR1260 EA 42" Pallet Forks
Aug 26, 2021
MA
Thanks for the good humored reminder. Great that no one was hurt, not even the ego.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I was doing the same thing a few weeks back. Again.
As Al Funt used to say on Candid Camera 'We can laugh at ourselves...' (did I date myself???)

RichOzz

Equipment
L2501 HST w/LA525 66" bucket BH77 LA BB1260 RCR1260 EA 42" Pallet Forks
Aug 26, 2021
MA
"When it's least expected - your elected, you're the star today, SMILE! You're on Candid Camera."
I'm guessing I'm as old, or older than you!

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
You could've waited until it got really cold again and froze (if you're in the north) and you could've maybe yanked it out with a looong length of Matts Offroad REcovery rope when the Excursion is still on solid ground. Check out Matt's off road recovery on youtube.

Glad you got out.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
You could've waited until it got really cold again and froze (if you're in the north) and you could've maybe yanked it out with a looong length of Matts Offroad REcovery rope when the Excursion is still on solid ground. Check out Matt's off road recovery on youtube.

Glad you got out.
Its supposed to get back down to 29* this coming weekend.

I was thinking about getting a winch that I could use in the future.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Well, I hope I can learn from your whoops mistake….but probably wont…lol. Haven’t been in that situation but when I am, I will remember this thread..and you can say…I told you so….