Good Buy

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
$13,000
Excellent condition 2014 4WD KUBOTA Model#BX25 DLB. Everything works as it should. Seller claims 300hours, former rental unit.

As a noobie any advice on what I have to look for? I plan on using the tractor to move some dirt around the property essentially smoothing out the grade. Probably some light backhoe work to. Not sure I will keep it long term if I cannot justify the need for it.

TIA
Gary

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
from the one picture.....

both buckets have been used a good bit....no biggie there.

DO you have a written record of oil/filter/grease changes? That would be a good thing to have!

I have the same machine....and I would not take 13K for mine.......would be several "K" higher - so if you have the paperwork and know it was taken care of - I would say it will be worth that 2 years from now!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Folks sometimes wine, complain, bitch about buying something that was used in a rental business. My experience is those folks take good care of the equipment when it comes in so they can send it out again in good condition without complaints while it is out.

They usually sell off equipment way before it is trashed/destroyed. They sell it while it has value and they get a new one.

Like 85Hokie said, confirm the maintenance, be sure it all works. As one without experience in this type of machine, find someone who is familiar and have them go with you to inspect. Or go the the back of the rental yard and talk to the guys there (who worked on maintenance) to get their opinion of the machine, it's condition, life left in it.

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
The party that owns it purchased it from the rental business. I will inquire about the maintenance records. I will examine it with a fine tooth comb since the last piece of rental equipment I purchased cost me an extra$150 in parts.

Redbusdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S MMM PHD Grapple
Apr 13, 2017
Vancouver WA
How long has the second owner had it? How many hours did they put on it? Why are they selling?

Just like kicking tires on a used car, seller motivation can tell you things.

Look at the loader and backhoe pins. Greasy is good, dry is bad.

Have fun!

shiraz627

Equipment
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
How long has the second owner had it? How many hours did they put on it? Why are they selling?

Just like kicking tires on a used car, seller motivation can tell you things.

Look at the loader and backhoe pins. Greasy is good, dry is bad.

Have fun!
The owner purchased it to do the landscaping on his property. That job is finished. Claims he put about 30 hours on it. No maintenance records from the rental place. Hopefully the rental placed changed the engine oil and filter along with the transmission filter at 200 hours. Once I see it I will get a better feel for it. Not under any pressure to purchase anything at this point. If everything goes good I will be looking at a machine with 150 hours prior to looking at this one.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Folks looking to buy a tractor often wait too long to make a decision! If a unit is truly priced at a fair value they don't often set for long. So as you look at/for a tractor take notice of various things like tire wear, paint wear on the floor board, how clean is the machine, etc.

You'll soon get an idea of what "normal" is and be more comfortable making a quicker decision to get one of those good deals.