Glow plugs

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
I just made my first attempt to change the glow plugs on my L3450. Does not seem the glow plugs will come out with the inlet manifold in place. Has any body found a procedure to replace the glow plugs without removing the manifold?

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Sorry I don’t have any suggestions as the GP’s on my L4740 came off with ease. Curious to learn why you are removing them.

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
I replace things when i think they might be old enough. I fired up someone elses Kubota at -20C, his started right away after 3 seconds on preheat. At -20c mine takes two shots at 10 seconds. Also mine would be 27 years old.
Besides, I like to putter. Can't do much with cars anymore.

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Thanks for the reply.

Have you tried measuring the resistance of each plug to access if it is good? Just remember to remove the buss wire/bar that connects each GP.

Besides the GP potentially being bad. I'd remove and clean to bare metal each wire termination within the circuit. I pulled the GP's in my tractor and was shocked how fast they glow bright orange when given unimpeded electrical power. While not exactly the same as yours, perhaps there is useful info embedded within the link. http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40200

Is it wrench access or GP removal that is the problem?

Good luck and let us know what you find.

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
Thanks for the help. Wrench access is a challenge, but I can get the wrench on and turn them out. I cannot get them, once loose, to clear the Inlet manifold, to remove.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I just made my first attempt to change the glow plugs on my L3450. Does not seem the glow plugs will come out with the inlet manifold in place. Has any body found a procedure to replace the glow plugs without removing the manifold?
No on that model you will need to pull the injection lines and the intake. ;)

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
Darn, I was hoping for an easier method. Now to begin the research on removing the inlet manifold. I cannot seem to find one bolt, I'll ask in a separate thread.
Thanks everyone.

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Once apart is it possible to modify manifold and/or GP, so they can be removed without all the extra effort?

Sorry the OP has to go through all this trouble just to remove the GP's.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Once apart is it possible to modify manifold and/or GP, so they can be removed without all the extra effort?

Nope, it is the way it is. :(

There are quite a few Kubota designs that require you to remove the manifold in order to change the glow plugs. ;)

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN

Not sure about this one. On my L1500, I ground down a deep socket and got the offending glow plug out, then chamfered the corner of the manifold that was in the way after plugging the glow plug hole and covering the surrounding area with paper towels. If the plug that had the manifold issue had resisted removal, I probably would have split the socket, and not every manifold that's in the way is going to be in the way with a part that one can chamfer without causing bigger problems. In this case it was just a strut between the 2 ports, and I only had to take a little of the corner off. If one of the ports had been in the way, I wouldn't have touched it.

In this case, it sounds as though it sounds like even if the manifold had clearance, you still need to pull the fuel lines off, so I'm not sure how much help it would be even if you got the manifold out of the way.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Not sure about this one. On my L1500, I ground down a deep socket and got the offending glow plug out, then chamfered the corner of the manifold that was in the way after plugging the glow plug hole and covering the surrounding area with paper towels. If the plug that had the manifold issue had resisted removal, I probably would have split the socket, and not every manifold that's in the way is going to be in the way with a part that one can chamfer without causing bigger problems. In this case it was just a strut between the 2 ports, and I only had to take a little of the corner off. If one of the ports had been in the way, I wouldn't have touched it.

In this case, it sounds as though it sounds like even if the manifold had clearance, you still need to pull the fuel lines off, so I'm not sure how much help it would be even if you got the manifold out of the way.
On the L3450 (V1902DI) the glow plugs are literally under the entire manifold. ;)

Unlike the IDI engines where the glow plugs go in the side of the head, the DI engines glow plugs go in from the top at an outward angle.