Glow Plugs - How Long Do You Keep Them "ON" Before Cranking The Engine ?

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
My L3560 has a glo-plug symbol on the dash. When it is cold out, I turn the key and wait until the symbol goes off and then bang, starts right up. In the winter, I use a block heater and unless it is extremely cold out, the glo-plug doesn't even light up.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I don't have the option of a block heater with the cabin tractor as it stays in the hay barn all winter with the plow on and no juice out there. The open station sleeps in the tractor shop along with my RV and the wife's Suburban and my vintage 4020 JD and it's heated. I just keep heavy duty (1200 CCA) batteries in it and in the other as well and change them out every 3 years or so.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
That not only applies to tractors, it applies to me. The older I get, the more 'warm up time' I require...... (y)
Amen brother ..... and the cooooooling off period is longer too!
And the pain is longer - where as the memory is shorter .... among other things! :ROFLMAO:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
My L3560 has a glo-plug symbol on the dash. When it is cold out, I turn the key and wait until the symbol goes off and then bang, starts right up. In the winter, I use a block heater and unless it is extremely cold out, the glo-plug doesn't even light up.
I too have the L3560 and follow the same path; glo-plug symbol comes on, wait for it to go off, then start tractor.

Reactions: 1 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have only used the glow plugs once in 3 years. Always fires right up
What are the average low temperatures, in Fahrenheit if you know them. Also, I would like to know if you use any additives.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
What are the average low temperatures, in Fahrenheit if you know them. Also, I would like to know if you use any additives.
Winter averages about 40F and summer goes all the way up to about 64. We don't use additives here as a rule. Only difference between summer and winter is the rain is warmer in summer;)

• Haha

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Something I have noticed and have not seen mentioned.

I am used to both my tractors starting up almost immediately, but when it is cold they may not start in the first second, probably because I do not wait long enough for the glow plugs to heat up before I try starting.

After the first second, but no more than after 2 seconds, if no start, I stop and return to heating the glow plugs for maybe five seconds. Then they start right up. I do have block heaters and could use them but in recent years have gotten lazy about it.

I think after getting a little fuel in the cylinders and heating it with the glow plugs, ignition occurs more quickly that it does otherwise. My experience anyway.

Just food for thought... :)

Reactions: 1 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Winter averages about 40F and summer goes all the way up to about 64. We don't use additives here as a rule. Only difference between summer and winter is the rain is warmer in summer;)
With the temps that you guys have there would be no need to treat the fuel if it is straight diesel. That is not always the case here in America. Many places force us to use some percentage of biodiesel added to our fuel. I assume that you have at least heard about gelling issues with biodiesel even if you have not experienced it.

I used to add some power service in the white bottle to my fuel to keep it from gelling if the temps got down below 25F for a sustained period of time. That was because the only fuel available where I lived at that time was B20 biodiesel.

Where we live now, our fuel supply currently does not contain any percentage of biodiesel. so we no longer experience any gelling until temps get around 10F. If the expected temps get below 10F I will treat my fuel but not otherwise. It is rare for Thurston County, WA to get sustained temps below 15F so my fuel rarely gets treated anymore.

With the above said, I almost always give a 4 second count on the glow plugs in cold weather. In the summer I give a 2 second count. If it has been shut off for less than 1/2 hour I just start it without hitting the glow plugs in any of the weather I experience here.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I`m wondering something - in the old days with glow plug lights in the dash, you would cycle it to heat the glow plugs, when the glow plug light turned off, it was time to start the tractor. Now, we have this 2017 BX23s, and you turn the key to heat the glow plugs, but no matter how long you hold the key, the light never shuts off during heating the glow plugs. As soon as you let off the the key from cycling the glow plug circuit, THEN, the glow plug light goes out. I dont cycle the glow plugs for more than 10 seconds when its super cold out, and the tractor always starts right up quickly. I use Power Service products year round.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
The modern tractors with common rail electronic fuel injection all have automatic glow plug timers on them as others have mentioned...turn the key to the first position and wait for the light or symbol on the LCD to disappear; then crank and start. Some other non-electronic tractors might have them too, especially larger engine machines. Those tractors use the coolant temp sensor to determine how long to run the glow plugs, then automatically shut them off.

However, I also recently owned a 2013 B2920 which still had indirect injection. For one thing, diesels with indirect injection don't start as well as direct-injected engines. But that said, on the B2920, you needed to hold the ignition key against spring pressure to activate the glow plugs. They would heat (and the light would stay on) for as long as you kept pressure on the key and your battery had amperage. Where I live, we frequently see 0F and sometimes -20F in the winter, and glow plug use is required. The B series would usually need a couple long glow cycles and it would start and run rough. One trick not everyone knows is once the engine starts, turn the key back into the Glow position again and hold it there until the engine smooths out. This helps the engine more completely burn the fuel and start making a little heat on its own.

Keep in mind glow plugs draw tremendously from the battery. Too much glowing during cold weather can not only damage the glow plug, but also flatten your battery and not leave enough power to crank.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I too have the L3560 and follow the same path; glo-plug symbol comes on, wait for it to go off, then start tractor.
My L4400 must not have that feature. Although I must admit I rarely use the GP as the temps here are usually above 60. On the rare 'cold' day I usually hold them on for about 5-10 seconds.

However, after reading some of the posts I may start using them regularly for a couple of seconds.

EDIT: Just went and looked back at my manual and it says don't use them unless below 23*F.

Last edited:

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
For me, 5 seconds or so of glow for "cold" start in warm months here. That's with 15C - 30C daytime high temps, and I also find that the longer the glow (to a point, maybe 20 seconds) the less soot from the exhaust at firing.

Here in fall and spring temps it usually takes 10-15 seconds of glow to pretty much eliminate the soot puff.

In winter I plug in the block heater for hours and it can eventually get the block warm to the touch so with a few seconds glow she starts nice and clean. If it's -20 or lower and not plugged in, then 20 sec. glow and for sure she starts but smokes a bit more and sounds loud and rough for a few seconds, but starts quick.

If the temp guage is registering at least one bar when I turn the key, then no glow!

Billybone231

Equipment
B2650 Cab B2782B RCR1860
Nov 20, 2020
Lyons Falls, NY.
My glow plugs must be shot! Today from inside my garage it was about 50* keyed the plugs on for 10 sec., turned it over for about 5 seconds and no start. Keyed the glow plugs again for 15 sec tried to start again and no start. Finally aggravated did so again and finally fired up with some black smoke then idled nicely. I am a new owner of this used B2650 with 450 hrs. No way it should take that much for this little diesel. Tomorrow morning will be colder and will plug in block heater and see what transpires then. I think my plugs are shot. New ones seem to be about $30 ea. Have to research how easy/hard they are to replace.
Or its another issue..

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I don't think I've ever used the glow plugs for more than 5 seconds, even in the winter. About 3 seconds in the summer is all it takes.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I look at it this way - you have to get up and go outside and face the ugly cold, would you rather have a cup of coffee and get the innards warm? OR face the outside right off the bat. Ok - that is a crazy example but it does present a point.
I would rather have a remote start installed, but as of yet I cannot find anyone willing to do it!!!

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
The other morning it was 23 degrees. My glo plugs stayed on at least 5 seconds and the 3301 had to turn over twice before it started, been starting on the first rev all summer. I like. :)

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
My glow plugs must be shot! Today from inside my garage it was about 50* keyed the plugs on for 10 sec., turned it over for about 5 seconds and no start. Keyed the glow plugs again for 15 sec tried to start again and no start. Finally aggravated did so again and finally fired up with some black smoke then idled nicely. I am a new owner of this used B2650 with 450 hrs. No way it should take that much for this little diesel. Tomorrow morning will be colder and will plug in block heater and see what transpires then. I think my plugs are shot. New ones seem to be about $30 ea. Have to research how easy/hard they are to replace.
Or its another issue..
You can check with a multimeter at the glow plugs and see if they're getting 12v when the key is turned to the glow setting. If so, then, with the key removed, test the glow plug's resistance to ground from it's connector. Glow plugs should show a resistance anywhere from . 1 - 6.0 ohms (more or less). Generally when glow plugs fail they either go fully open (no resistance) or fully closed (dead short).

I really doubt that they're all blown glow plugs with a B2650 and 450 hours. I have the same machine, 420 hours. I just can't see all 3 plugs burning out so soon!

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
Or its another issue..
Also , I would look into, if you haven't already, cleaning or replacing the fuel filter. Maybe fuel glitch could be causing the hard starting?

Billybone231

Equipment
B2650 Cab B2782B RCR1860
Nov 20, 2020
Lyons Falls, NY.
You can check with a multimeter at the glow plugs and see if they're getting 12v when the key is turned to the glow setting. If so, then, with the key removed, test the glow plug's resistance to ground from it's connector. Glow plugs should show a resistance anywhere from . 1 - 6.0 ohms (more or less). Generally when glow plugs fail they either go fully open (no resistance) or fully closed (dead short).

I really doubt that they're all blown glow plugs with a B2650 and 450 hours. I have the same machine, 420 hours. I just can't see all 3 plugs burning out so soon!
Thanks for that tip, I am currently away from the majority of my tools. I just remembered I have a test light in a trailer. I can at least test for 12V at each plug for power. I did locate and pull the relay off, it had some light oxidation, dirt etc. I reinstalled and kept my hand on it when in pre-heat mode and it did click. I kist didnt try that before removing. It was warmer today and only cycled plugs for about 10 sec. It turned over about 5 sec and fired up with some black/grey smoke but ran fine. Tomorrow I will test for voltage but dont have access to a multi meter currently. I am the 3rd owner, the last guy kept it outside under an awning for a few years and plugged in during winter so I am sure the glow plugs were put to task regularly.