Glow plug removal/replacement

bvshearz

Equipment
B9200
Nov 7, 2016
Independence, Ky.
I have a 1987 B9200 that is a little hard to start. I'm thinking it could be because it still has the original glow plugs in it that are almost 30 years old now so....I've decided to replace them. However.... after watching some U-tube videos over the weekend ... I'm now having second thoughts on doing it myself. looKs like they're not that easy, like replacing a spark plug.Apparently they could break off and get stuck inside the cylinder requiring the head being removed to get it out. Or.... having some special tool to drill them out. Puzzled.... since these are the original plugs from 1987, should I bite the bullet and have the dealer replace them? Or can someone tell me some good advice otherwise about doing it myself?

Bob

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've pulled quite a few and have yet to have one snap off in the head.

Use a good deep socket and a strait shot at them. ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think you will need to remove your intake manifold to get to the front injector, but that is not a mighty task. It also make it easier for the others.

The nuts holding the wire on the GP has a slot in it so you can reach them with a flat blade screwdriver. Under the nut is a small flat copper washer. Keep an eye on them and don't let them disappear!

Be gentle with your intake manifold removal and you may be able to reuse that gasket.

Like North Idaho Wolfman said, get a deep socket and take you time.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
They're easy to test if you've got access to a multimeter. If memory serves, they should be under 3 ohms.

This probably isn't kosher, but on my L1500, I ground down a socket to get one of them out, them plugged the hole with a shop rag and chamfered the corner of the intake manifold so that a normal deep socket works now. The other one had good access.

sg5054

Equipment
L2250
Nov 3, 2016
Dresden, ME
buy yourself a can of Kroil and spray them daily for a while. Warm the engine and then spray. do this for a week or so Then have at it. slow and easy wins the race. if they move a little but still feel stuck go backwards, spray and try again. back and forth. spray and soak. be patient.

bvshearz

Equipment
B9200
Nov 7, 2016
Independence, Ky.
OK.. Fellas. Thanks for all the input. I have never heard of a can of "Kroil" but... I use PB Blaster on everything, probably about the same I assume. Still not sure if I'm gonna try this myself. i talked to the mechanic at work today, he owns a B8200 and has never changed the glow plugs on it either. He advised me to do "nothing" unless it quits starting at all , and reccomended checking the voltage to be sure it's not the relay. He also said the go slow soaking, heat and turning it back and forth method if I should decide to try it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
i talked to the mechanic at work today, he owns a B8200 and has never changed the glow plugs on it either. He advised me to do "nothing" unless it quits starting at all , and recommended checking the voltage to be sure it's not the relay.
This is where wrong information can sting you, neither the B8200 or the B9200 has a relay for the glow plugs, so that eliminates that as a possibility.
Now if the indicator is bad it will cause low voltage to the glow plugs and that will cause an issue.
I personally would change both the glow plugs and the indicator if your having starting issues.
If that doesn't improve your starting then you're going to have to look at valve adjustment, fuel injector replacement or on the extreme side of things,\engine rebuild.

Last edited:

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
Was thinking about doing the same on my L185 (1978)
Bought the 2 plugs and the Manifold gasket and a set with a 12 mm deep socket.
Been spraying with PB b;aster since last year but have not bit the bullet to try.
Mine starts fine I replaced the Battery today as it turned out it was not putting out. Walmart load tested it and it was still under warranty for free replacement.
Also found out to keep my glow plugs lit a little longer especially in winter 60 seconds that time of year.
Also cleaned wire between the 2 of them. Do not lose the hardware under the nuts. Someone mentioned that already. I need to do it again before winter.
I do have a compression release and in winter spin the engine a few revs to get the thing in motion.
Good Luck David

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
PSS I have sprayed them in winter when the male threads of the plug will shrink ever so slightly and the threads of the hole shrink a way ever so slightly to hopefully create a channel for the blaster to run down the root diameter of the threads.
Speculating here... Wishful thinking.
David

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
I remember access was more of an issue than corrosion. I used Acetone/ATF and PB blaster and then went at it one at a time. All of them were a pain but they all came out. My tractor still needs a couple of minutes in the winter before you crank it but it fires right up now.

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
Me again I remembered that the dealer I spoke to said to coat the threads of the new plugs with a graphite grease.
I would keep it off any of the business end of the plug.
David