Glock G40 10mm

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ray we are getting a bit off thread, but if you will allow me to add something on hand loads. I have sat in on 2 cases where the victim used hand loads in his/her CCW. And both time the bad guys lawyers made the point that they were trying to make a killer bullet instead of using factory loaded bullets. and made a big deal out of the fact they made their own loads, one of those,,, HUH :eek: WTF :confused: is he talking about moments. Anyway both cases, were tossed because the court felt the shootings were justified. So to avoid any more problems with CCW load factory when carrying!!

And yes a 10 will take deer if used within a reasonable range, how ever and I think someone may have mentioned this, and that is to make CERTAIN that the usage of a semi auto is legal to use in the pursuit of game animals in your state

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Brother Skeets brings up a very important point...

When choosing ammo for CCW, people involved in shootings who chose +P or +P+ were similarly cited for wanting to "cause more damage and potentially kill their victim by premeditated choice of a more powerful bullet."

Other than the Arizona requirement to use hollow points to prevent "overshoot" we always recommended using standard loads and hitting the center of mass first before the perp knew what was coming.

Ryno12

Equipment
BX25D
Nov 20, 2018
Wisconsin
The OP is asking about buying a G40 for hunting. Some of you are pretty far off in the weeds on this subject.

The beauty of the 10mm is the vast array of loads available, anything from 110gr to 220gr projectiles with velocities from 850-1800+ ft/s and muzzle energy nearly 800ft/lbs. You don’t get that range in a .40.
That is why many consider the 10mm a “reloaders caliber”.

The vast majority of factory produced 10mm loads on the market today are well below the original Norma specs. Comparing a single manufacturer’s low power 10mm load to higher power .40 and saying “there’s not much difference” between the two is misleading & not telling the whole story.

Now, that’s not to say that full power 10mm loads are not available commercially, because they are. One doesn’t necessarily have to be a reloader to enjoy full power 10mm Auto.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/cartridge_10mm-auto

http://www.doubletapammo.net/10MMAuto

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=1

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
"Comparing a single manufacturer’s low power 10mm load to higher power .40 and saying “there’s not much difference” between the two is misleading & not telling the whole story. "

That is not what I intended to do. My point is, average factory loads should be compared to other comparable factory loads when comparing calibers. Comparing a stock Federal .40 JHP to a custom 10mm is just as irrelevant as doing the reverse. Apples to apples.

The OP asked about 10mm. A few other posters mentioned 10mm is great for reloaders. Great!

All I am saying is, if you want to reload into a higher power 10mm cartridge, do so with the proviso you just killed your guns warranty. And, if you ever sell that gun and do not disclose that is has shot hotter home loads, you may be found liable should someone be injured in the future. Not to rag on home loaders at all. Just pointing out some issues many do not consider.

Be safe out there.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
The OP is asking about buying a G40 for hunting. Some of you are pretty far off in the weeds on this subject.

The beauty of the 10mm is the vast array of loads available, anything from 110gr to 220gr projectiles with velocities from 850-1800+ ft/s and muzzle energy nearly 800ft/lbs. You don’t get that range in a .40.
That is why many consider the 10mm a “reloaders caliber”.

The vast majority of factory produced 10mm loads on the market today are well below the original Norma specs. Comparing a single manufacturer’s low power 10mm load to higher power .40 and saying “there’s not much difference” between the two is misleading & not telling the whole story.

Now, that’s not to say that full power 10mm loads are not available commercially, because they are. One doesn’t necessarily have to be a reloader to enjoy full power 10mm Auto.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/cartridge_10mm-auto

http://www.doubletapammo.net/10MMAuto

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=1
Quoted for truth.
.40s&w isn't even in the same league as 10mm, especially a 10mm cartridge I would hope someone would choose to use for hunting purposes. Underwood comes to mind as a top supplier with a wide selection of full power 10mm loads.

And LOL @ Trijicon being overpriced junk. :confused::rolleyes:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Other than the Arizona requirement to use hollow points to prevent "overshoot"
Ray,
Having never heard of this as a requirement, (it is just common sense to me) would I be correct in assuming this is a LEO requirement?

Ryno12

Equipment
BX25D
Nov 20, 2018
Wisconsin
"Comparing a single manufacturer’s low power 10mm load to higher power .40 and saying “there’s not much difference” between the two is misleading & not telling the whole story. "

That is not what I intended to do. My point is, average factory loads should be compared to other comparable factory loads when comparing calibers. Comparing a stock Federal .40 JHP to a custom 10mm is just as irrelevant as doing the reverse. Apples to apples.

The OP asked about 10mm. A few other posters mentioned 10mm is great for reloaders. Great!

All I am saying is, if you want to reload into a higher power 10mm cartridge, do so with the proviso you just killed your guns warranty. And, if you ever sell that gun and do not disclose that is has shot hotter home loads, you may be found liable should someone be injured in the future. Not to rag on home loaders at all. Just pointing out some issues many do not consider.

Be safe out there.

You have to realize the that what you are calling the “average factory loads” are well below the original (and intended) Norma specs for the 10mm Auto. What you are referring to as “higher power” loads is actually closer to the original spec for 10mm.
The factories are selling detuned 10mm and you are assuming that is the standard. Going hotter is actually going closer to the original specifications. That’s why the article you linked is “Comparing a single manufacturer’s low power 10mm load to higher power .40”, which is not true “apples to apples”. Comparing two calibers that are both loaded to original specifications, is a better comparison as to the capabilities of each caliber.

Certainly any cartridge can be loaded beyond max but that’s not what I’m talking about here.
Just because a reloader, or the manufacturer’s that I listed, are loading higher power loads, doesn’t mean that they’re “killing a warranty” or trashing their firearm, they’re just bringing the load back to its original specs. Any firearms chambered in 10mm should be designed for the original Norma spec’d load.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I mounted a Romeo 1 on my Sig 226. I first tried mounting it on top with the rear sight mount plate but I was not happy with that set up. Dot had to be too low to co-witness and IIRC, I couldn't get it to co-witness. So I milled it in and after some trial and error with aftermarket sights I got it to co-witness well. Just love that red dot! Also love that Sig!

Can't help you with the 10mm decision as I've never fired one. I do have a S&W 40 but I sure wouldn't take it hunting. Maybe never put the right ammo in it. Its a little erratic at the range.

Attachments

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Bill,

AZDPS "highly recommends" hollow point ammunition for CCW to prevent accidents common with ball ammo, which often continues out the far side of the intended target and taps an innocent bystander. They want the round to stop in the first person it impacts.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
To get things really going...

It is still a plastic gun. If you are going to hunt with a hand gun (not really sure why...seems like a great way to wound an animal...not kill it...that is another debate)...get a real gun.

You know...like a 1911 from Nighthawk or Wilson...just sayin...:D

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN

It is still a plastic gun. If you are going to hunt with a hand gun (not really sure why...seems like a great way to wound an animal...not kill it...that is another debate)...get a real gun.

A lot of slug zones let you use hand guns as well. With long deer seasons it's nice to pack a revolver along with your shotgun or 22 when going after birds or small game.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
A 10mm has more punch than a 40cal, but I do carry my 40cal. or even my wife's 38 but only to finish one off. Less damage than a .270.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL

The Glock 40 M.O.S. (model, not caliber) has a factory 6" barrel and slide, and it's cut for a micro red dot like a Dr. Optic, Trijicon RMR, etc. etc.. All for less than $700.

And yeah around here, you can have a handgun on you for hunting purposes, during muzzle loader season, and there is a specific handgun season too. Caliber and muzzle velocity are strictly enforced.

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
Yes the MOS model is the one I was looking at that is factory milled and has slots to mount a sight. I do reload but taking it above any of the published hard copy reloading spec books is a formula for early demise and I don’t do that. I have shot my single stage press reloads from all the 20+ calibers I reload for. I also have a Dillon 650 I use for some of those calibers but my hunting reloads are all individually weighed exactly. None of the factory ammo is that precise. Also, none of the guns I’ve bought have had anything in the paperwork about voiding the warranty by shooting reloads in them.... I was thinking the same bout trijicon being over priced and have had good luck with Leopold even though I know the parts and glass come mostly from Asia. I’ve never owned a Glock but have read some about the case bulge issues but if my dies fring them back to spec and I trim them to length I should get a few reloads outta each box I buy. I think some places frown on reloaded ammo because of some reloaders careless practice and wanting to push the envelope beyond what the book says. If I wanted to stick with a revolver I’d keep on using my super Blackhawk 44mag with the 10.5” bbl. I also have a s&w 40 but know the difference in ballistics between it and a 10mm is pretty big, per my reloading manuals. Georgia doesn’t have all the requirements other states do or even like they used to have on pistol hunting. I’d say that 50 yards would be pushing my max distance I’d attempt to take an animal at with a pistol anyway. I’d have my rifle as plan A for the hunt and the pistol as my “if I get the right opportunity “ gun. I am sorta a gun nut. Thx for the input and replies guys.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Don't mean to beat a dead horse but, so we all know for sure... See item 5 below.

LIMITED ONE YEAR OPERATION WARRANTY

GLOCK pistols are chosen by approximately 65% of our nation***8217;s law enforcement professionals for their reliability and performance.

Your new GLOCK is designed to provide you with that same reliable performance every time you use it; even in the face of the harshest conditions on the planet. Registering your GLOCK provides an additional level of protection and allows GLOCK to provide you with timely information, quickly and efficiently.
Limited One-Year Operation Warranty

Subject to terms, conditions and limitations outlined below, GLOCK, Inc. guarantees its pistols against defects in materials and workmanship that adversely affect their operation for a period of one (1) year from the date of their original purchase by the initial consumer. This warranty is valid only for pistols purchased and used in the United States of America, its territories and possessions, Puerto Rico, and Canada.

This warranty only becomes effective if activated by the original consumer purchaser within 30 days of the purchase date, by completing and returning the warranty card included with your GLOCK pistol. GLOCK, Inc. reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to accept proof of purchase in lieu of a completed warranty card. To make a claim under this warranty, contact GLOCK, Inc. at: 6000 Highlands Parkway, Smyrna, GA 30082 or call (770) 432-1202 for instructions on how to return your pistol. Do not return your GLOCK pistol for service without prior authorization.
Limitations of Warranty

The warranty will be void if any of the following occur:

1. The instructions in the Instructions for Use manual are not followed;
2. Your GLOCK pistol or any of its parts are altered or modified from their original sate;
3. Damage is caused by misuse, abuse or improper maintenance;
4. Your GLOCK pistol is disassembled beyond the instruction in Chapter 9 of the Instructions for Use manual; or
5. Reloaded, remanufactured, or handloaded ammunition, or ammunition of a different caliber than your GLOCK pistol is used.

There are no warranties which extend beyond the description on the face hereof.

The sole and exclusive remedy pursuant to this warranty is the repair or replacement of your GLOCK pistol, at the sole discretion of GLOCK, Inc.

The implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose are expressly disclaimed.

All disclaimers and limitations of liability shall still apply even if the limited remedy of repair and replacement fails of its essential purpose.

In states where permitted, GLOCK, Inc. assumes no liability for incidental or consequential damage or for incidental expenses.

Any action against GLOCK, Inc. based on an alleged breach of this warranty must be brought within one (1) year of the claimed breach.

GLOCK, Inc.***8217;s liability for breach of warranty shall be limited to repair or replacement of your GLOCK pistol, at the sole discretion of GLOCK, Inc.

From H&K...

ANY UNAUTHORIZED ALTERATION OR MODIFICATION OF THE FIREARM OR USE OF PARTS OR COMPONENTS NOT ORIGINALLY MADE BY HECKLER & KOCH INC. SHALL VOID THIS WARRANTY. HECKLER & KOCH INC. SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY CLAIMS INVOLVING THIS FIREARM THAT RESULT FROM THE USE OF FAULTY, NONSTANDARD, REMANUFACTURED, OR RELOADED AMMUNITION OR AMMUNITION NOT MANUFACTURED TO NATO AND/OR SAAMI SPECIFICATIONS.

Ruger has no printed warranty. Smith & Wesson mentions "improper ammunition" and its your guess as to what that means.

Just because you reload does not mean you will have an issue that requires a factory warranty IF you pay attention and use good practices like Beaudene and others. BUT, if you have an issue that looks like it may have come from the ammo and its disclosed that you or someone else shot reloaded ammunition in that gun, you are likely on your own regarding repairs. Likely, any malfunction associated with bad ammo will be outside the warranty coverage, reloaded or factory.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I own a ton (literally of firearms). No Glock's though. I find them astheticaly fugly.

I handgun hunt here in Michigan all the time. here in the lower and on my up north property. My handgun choice for hunting is either a Model 29 Smith, chambered in 44 RM with handloads or a Smith 460 XVR Performance Center Revolver, long barrel, braked. Carry them both in a crossdraw chest holster.

The 460 just makes the straightwall cartridge OAL for non muzzle loader hunting in the lower and Indiana as well.

I've considered a 450 Bushmaster but the 460 I already own and the ballistics are as good or better than the 450.

Besides, the 460 XVR will stop and game in North America and is acceptable for dangerous game in Africa if I had the money to hunt there.

• Dislike

Ryno12

Equipment
BX25D
Nov 20, 2018
Wisconsin
A lot of “advice” from people who aren’t educated about the 10mm Auto, don’t reload, or don’t shoot Glocks... but I guess that’s to be expected when a tractor forum is asked about firearms. ;)

While I agree that Glocks aren’t visually appealing (I’m not a Glock guy either), I also know that looks (and feel) is subjective to an individual’s taste and has no bearing on functionality. Durability & reliability are more important & (un)fortunately, the Glock is better suited for the original spec’d 10mm loads than most other platforms currently on the market.

I reread the thread also & didn’t see any mention of anyone recommending to load over published max load data so the apparent lawyers here can breathe a little easier.

Sounds like the OP has a good handle on everything & knows what he’s doing.
You’ll enjoy hunting/shooting your 10mm.

gsganzer

Mar 5, 2015
Denton, Texas
I love 10mm's! I currently own 3 of them. A Dan Wesson CBOB, a Smith and Wesson 1076 and a EAA Match. Loaded to spec, a 10mm has a lot more punch then a .40 S&W. (BTW: for us 10mm fans, . 40 S&W stands for slow and weak:D)

A Glock G40 would work fine for hunting, with range limitations, or back country protection, I'm not sure about mounting optics on a semi auto pistol though. I think for optics, I'd be more tempted to use a revolver with a rib or other scope mount provisions. If you want a semi auto, you might also look at the Springfield XD in 10mm. They also hold 15 rounds.

A buddy on my deer lease rides a motor cycle and sometimes carries a Remington XP100 bolt action pistol in his saddle bag when he wants to shoot hogs. That might be an option for you.