Getting some good seat time on B7200

CJN8

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534 FEL, Gearmore Box Blade, Bush Hog, Cimmeron Rake
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
Now that I have a little tractor everyone has tasks they want me to do for them. I drove the B7200 HSTD over to my brothers house, it's about a mile away, and noticed that the hydro makes a whine sound. After reading I know that this is pretty normal. In high the tractor goes fine on level to slightly uphill terrain. My brothers drive is fairly steep and the hydro really started to whine, so I switched into low and lumbered the rest of the way. I assume this is pretty normal? I assume high is just for transport on level ground? How much whine is normal on these little HST kubotas? I love this little guy, it is so useful.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
It is normal, especially when the hydro is being tasked hard. Dropping into low range was one solution, but so is backing off of the hyrdo input. The farther you push the pedal down, the more fluid is demanded to flow through the system. Backing off doesn't reduce power, just volume demand. So, you probably (I don't know how steep the drive is) could have backed pretty far off, and had no problem. Again, you wouldn't be reducing power to the wheels, just reducing the demand for fluid to flow faster.
It takes work to not equate the hydro pedal to the gas pedal on a car or truck. Letting off doesn't diminish the power available, it just changes speed.

CJN8

Equipment
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
Ahhh. I will give that a try. So in high I should be able to pull some hills, I just need to roll off the peddle a bit?

CJN8

Equipment
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
So i tried backing off on the HST when i hear it start to whine and it did help but there still is a lack of power in forward. To test i turned around and backed up the hill in reverse without any problems. I did some research and so far i think i have already done the basics. Fluid, screens, filters, next I will make sure the HST is adjusted properly. Sort of that I read that my high pressure relief valve could be the problem. I guess if they are defective the tractor will bypass under load and loose power. Does this sound correct? Low works fine both forward and reverse and hi works fine on level ground (not on hills) and hi reverse works fine on flat ground and hills. Thoughts?

BTW..i am replacing that seat, the PO cobbed on an old seat to the original seat frame :eek:

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
There should be no difference between forward and reverse, the only thing your changing is the direction of the plate that controls fluid flow. They limit the angle of the plate how ever to cut down on the fluid flow(causing you to go slower).

Try and figure out what pedal position going forward gives you roughly the same speed as "wide open" in reverse I.E. 30% forward equals 100% reverse, and try backing up that hill then.

The best explanation I've ever heard is to think of light pedal as first gear, low speed high torque, and full pedal as high gear, high speed low torque.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So i tried backing off on the HST when i hear it start to whine and it did help but there still is a lack of power in forward. To test i turned around and backed up the hill in reverse without any problems. I did some research and so far i think i have already done the basics. Fluid, screens, filters, next I will make sure the HST is adjusted properly. Sort of that I read that my high pressure relief valve could be the problem. I guess if they are defective the tractor will bypass under load and loose power. Does this sound correct? Low works fine both forward and reverse and hi works fine on level ground (not on hills) and hi reverse works fine on flat ground and hills. Thoughts?

BTW..i am replacing that seat, the PO cobbed on an old seat to the original seat frame :eek:
CJ,

On my new BX25D, the same symptoms that you are describing....
If I go up a fairly good slope - empty bucket, 18-20% grade in high, it runs out of steam.....3200 rpms, moans as if it is whipped, drop in low and it is fine. On flat ground it will put the full bucket, now I have BACKED up a 26% slope in reverse, empty bucket, 4wd and it was crying a little bit too ! :eek:

I think from what you are describing, it is normal ......at least I hope so!!:D

CJN8

Equipment
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
Redneck thanks for the info. I am going to mess around with the tractor a little more this week and next week. I am off work until the 6th so I will get to play a bit.

Descanso, yes I keep it out of 4wd on hard surfaces, good reminder though. By the way, I live down in Dehesa Valley, we are practically neighbors. My cousin lives off of Mizpah Lane up in Descanso.

Thanks everyone, Merry Christmas.
Nate