Getting ready to retire, what did you treat yourself with?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I was "downsized and forced to retire from AT&T after working 32+ years. In addition to driving to 49 states and all of the Canadian Provinces, I built our Cabin on the farm property during our first 3 years. I did carpenter work for the first 6 years before buying a portable sawmill and have now completed 20 years of portable sawmilling. For our 50th elopement/wedding anniversary we flew to Hawaii making all 50 states. I never plan to retire.

Reactions: 3 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I think the hardest part was learning to slow down some. Stay active, but back off the throttle, so to speak. I treated myself to the LX2610SU, her to a brand new Chevy Traverse, and we're tackling a few more renovations as we go. It ain't an easy thing to do with a bad back, but I love the renovation work and love seeing the difference in the quality of what I do myself. It isn't going as fast as we'd like because of more emergency family stuff, but hoping to change that starting next summer. We've travelled some while I was still working (but on the DL) to Europe and Australia. We both like to travel and experience other cultures, and will probably do so as much as we can while we're still able. She's 10 years younger than me, so 'still able' is a relative thing.

Reactions: 1 users

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
I have been adding a few implements and other power tools to the mix for my planned departure of the rat race by the end of next year. Lord willing, I am looking forward to more time with my wife of 40 years, on the tractor messing around the ole farm place or out on the boat. :cool:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
With 35 and 38 years in our
retirement systems, I and the Mrs. are ready to go.

The economy has given me pause to not jump at it.

We also have a couple house projects pending.

Probably getting those house projects done will be our treat before retirement.

Quick

Equipment
B2601, LA435, BH70, LP SGC0554 Grapple, LP RB1672 Rear Blade, King Kutter 60" BB
Sep 23, 2021
St. Clair, MO.
I'm within a couple of months of retiring, after a life long career, raised a family and now it's my turn to treat myself, what special gift did you get?
Coming up on 3 years of retirement now. I think my answer would be time. Time to do what I want, when I want, and a tractor to do it on, of course. (-;

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
23 years retired, and I am getting tired of being retired. Is anyone old enough to remember the old Fisk Tire Company advertisements?

shelkol

Equipment
bx-2200, Woods BH6000 backhoe, Tach-N-Go quick attach bucket, snow blower
Nov 12, 2015
Westford, Massachusetts
shelkol.com
My hobby has always been woodworking. When I retired I bought a CNC router and make things for friends and family. I also volunteer at a local place 2 mornings a week. Attached is a flag out of oak made for a friend that rebuilds old Farmall Cubs:
1669733851583.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
23 years retired, and I am getting tired of being retired. Is anyone old enough to remember the old Fisk Tire Company advertisements?
You're so lucky to be able to say you've been retired for 23 yrs.

LFP57

Equipment
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
Coming up on 3 years of retirement now. I think my answer would be time. Time to do what I want, when I want, and a tractor to do it on, of course. (-;
I burned a candle at both ends for many years, time will be nice!

LFP57

Equipment
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
I was "downsized and forced to retire from AT&T after working 32+ years. In addition to driving to 49 states and all of the Canadian Provinces, I built our Cabin on the farm property during our first 3 years. I did carpenter work for the first 6 years before buying a portable sawmill and have now completed 20 years of portable sawmilling. For our 50th elopement/wedding anniversary we flew to Hawaii making all 50 states. I never plan to retire.
Thousands ( I've heard) are leaving the company I work for due to potential $ lost in pensions if they wait.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Thousands ( I've heard) are leaving the company I work for due to potential $ lost in pensions if they wait.
Yup. I retired a few months after turning 70. Had a great job I enjoyed so wasn't sure I wanted to quit working. As it turns out, good thing I did retire because the company went through a bunch of changes shortly thereafter. I retired with a good pension - those retiring after I did lost out.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I've been retired from my career for 13 years, but not long after that we began taking care of my wife's folks. It has been time consuming, expensive, and tiring. They are now both gone, but as my wife is executor of the will & trust, we are still dealing with the aftermath- emptying the house & grounds, selling the house, setting up special needs trusts, (two of which my wife will have to manage for the rest of our lives) nearing the distribution of funds to the siblings, tax repercussions, lawyers, all while the "not very helpful" siblings kibitz & complain how things were being done.
I hope most of this will be over while I'm still alive to enjoy it.

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
Retired 11 years ago at age 56. New F250 bought then. Decided we wanted OUT of California, but kept the house (paid off) as a rental. Sold off a couple of investment houses (also paid off) in Las Vegas, and bought an acre in forested Central Oregon. Bought the LX2610 in 2019. Cut, split and donate firewood to those less fortunate with a bunch of other Veterans here locally, and not doing ANYTHING I don't feel like!

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
I heard Steve Lopez (LA Times columnist, 4-time Pulitzer prize winner) interviewed on NPR recently, talking about his new book:
Independence Day: What I Learned About Retirement from Some Who’ve Done It and Some Who Never Will
Very interesting.

I'm about 5 years away from retirement. Will work until I'm 70, God-willing. I'm probably not quite as dependent upon my work life as my father was (he had no hobbies), but I still enjoy feeling like I have a purpose and calling at work. In short, I'm doing Good Work, the best of my life now.

I'm on the cusp of divesting my accumulations of "stuff", mostly timeless collectibles: rare postage stamps, early volumes of hot rod/race car magazines, and the like. Only because I don't want my uninformed survivors to have to deal with the intricacies of that process.

To stick with the topic, treats???...I'm kind of at a loss. Who I am is a contribution. So, the rewards accrue as what I can do for others. I'm also driven to leave my environment in better condition than what I acquired it in. Power equipment is a pivotal ingredient in that formula! So, who knows.

I've been searching an easy skid loader restoration project. All of the resources needed to accomplish that are close at hand. Something mechanically sound with a blown engine in the ~$5K range. Maybe wishful thinking. The earlier New Holland skid loaders enjoy a solid reputation in the circles I'm in...And, I live 20 miles from the New Holland factory, so there are lots of them around.

-Paul

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin

FrozenInTime

Equipment
BX2370
Mar 25, 2015
ND
Picked up a wood lathe for winter enjoyment and a new HD Triglide for summer fun. Had also bought a camper for some travel but a storm destroyed the camper so now we take train sleepercars from time to time. Had previously picked up a country home and put in a large garden and a 2370 for garden/yard chores. Retirement is fun, for the most part!