Getting ready to retire, what did you treat yourself with?

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Bought a Kolar shotgun for trap shooting. Pretty much had my man cave set to go before I retired. When the weather is bad you can find me in there. And when the weather is beautiful, well, um, you can still find me in there unless I’m shooting trap.

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
I'm within a couple of months of retiring, after a life long career, raised a family and now it's my turn to treat myself, what special gift did you get?
The things I thought I'd like to do when I was young has changed to more realistic things the older I became, where I'd live and what I'd be living in.

I traveled much of the U.S. (except the Western coastal states)in both a car and on a motorcycle (still riding), put countless miles on dirt bikes, ATVs and snowmobiles. I've traveled to other countries a number of times and seen some amazing places. Here in Michigan, we're surrounded by water, so I've done the boat thing. I own property in the woods up North and have hunted/fished, etc.

Over the years, I've had many hobbies, I'd get interested in something, learn how to do it and then move onto something else. Some of these hobbies turned out to be a part of my job at work.

I purchased my first tractor (LX2610) at the beginning of Covid, I was trying to get some of the larger purchases out of the way before I retired and I'm glad to say that I'll be debt free when the day comes. I've spent much of my life trying to balance saving for retirement and still having a life. I know people that spent their entire life not going anywhere, saving all of their money for the day they retire and when the day comes, if the day comes, their health doesn't allow them to do anything. I'm very lucky, I'm still healthy and active.

Growing old is a privilege that many people never get to experience and many people here on this site has had some great experiences, far more than I've had. I was looking for that one thing, the icing on the cake for my life's work to treat myself.

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
We adopted a wonderful 2-1/2 YO girl last Spring. Started out as foster parents in September of 2020 when she was about 10 months old. Next moth we'll be married for 52 years, so the rest of our kids are quite a bit older:)

Had plans and funds set aside to get a new Tahoe, but chip shortage came and prices went up so I'll run the old Trailblazer till the prices go down.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

LFP57

Equipment
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
My wife gave me a Weimeraner for retirement. That was over 20 years ago, and unfortunately, dogs don't live that long. I sure do miss the dog, and when she passed we were down to 1 dog. About 2 1/2 years ago, that one passed, and now there are none. They both preferred our bed to their beds.

View attachment 90986 View attachment 90987 View attachment 90988
Beautiful dogs, sorry that you lost them, just like losing a child. We have two young ones 2 & 4 and they too, prefer our bed.

LFP57

Equipment
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
We adopted a wonderful 2-1/2 YO girl last Spring. Started out as foster parents in September of 2020 when she was about 10 months old. Next moth we'll be married for 52 years, so the rest of our kids are quite a bit older:)

Had plans and funds set aside to get a new Tahoe, but chip shortage came and prices went up so I'll run the old Trailblazer till the prices go down.
My wife and I wanted to adopt, but we were told that we were to old @ 50. Yea, I was thinking about purchasing my last vehicle, the one I have still has many miles remaining, a new engine/trans is still cheaper than a new car.

LFP57

Equipment
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
Bought a Kolar shotgun for trap shooting. Pretty much had my man cave set to go before I retired. When the weather is bad you can find me in there. And when the weather is beautiful, well, um, you can still find me in there unless I’m shooting trap.
I decided to thin the safe, have some that I haven't shot in years.

LFP57

Equipment
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
I'm stockpiling toys NOW while I can work some OT to pay for them and enjoy them while I'm still physically able. I buried my brother a year ago due to a life cut short by ALS. Less than 2 years from diagnosis to crossing over the Jordan. I'm going to enjoy the good life right now.
Sorry to hear about your brother! That's what I've tried to do my entire life, I have a good friend that has always taken care of himself, had a newborn girl and then found out he has stage four cancer at 55.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

LFP57

Equipment
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
We bought a house in WV on 5 acres, my wife insisted I retire when we moved, and buy a tractor. I think I'll keep her! Congrats on your upcoming retirement, enjoy!!
WV, what a beautiful state! My wife threw a fit when I purchased the tractor, now that I've been using it and she sees how handy it is, she enjoys operating it.

LFP57

Equipment
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
Nothing physical. I made sure I had all the "toys" before I retired.

I love to be outside on a beautiful day. All my working years when an absolutely gorgeous day would happen and I had to be at work I would bemoan the fact that I was inside instead of out there somewhere in the great outdoors. So now that I'm retired - if the weather is lousy I'm indoors working on projects. If it is gorgeous out there I'm out there enjoying it.
View attachment 90983

View attachment 90984
I'm jealous, what a beautiful place.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I treated myself to many good memories and experiences from before I retired...did a lot of things the "normal" guy just never has the opportunity to do.

Did buy a bunch of machine tools that I never ( almost) use really, because I thought I would never buy them after retirement... Seems I do more woodworking than metalworking.

The biggest treat I gave myself was retiring to begin with. Love doing what I want when I want...being a couch potato is not my nature.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
My wife and I wanted to adopt, but we were told that we were to old @ 50. Yea, I was thinking about purchasing my last vehicle, the one I have still has many miles remaining, a new engine/trans is still cheaper than a new car.
We were told by one social worker that we were too old. Long story, but with any even remote blood relationship, it's viewed as a "kinship" and that helps.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA

Hang on for the fun. After three daughters I forgot how much fun raising a teenager can be. Oh, the life ending drama !
Some days are unicorns and rainbows and the next day it is fire and brimstone.
It is a joy in the end

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
My gift was the joy of watching my retirement accounts go from “ok to retire” to “go back to work” levels. I start back January 1st.

I am not bitter though, I am healthy and young enough that it’s at least an option. The opportunity is there also which is nice considering all the layoffs and labor market contractions going on. So relieved I am not living in the UK at the moment.

God bless this Great Country.

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
Really, my L-47 was my retirement to myself, wanted a tractor I could start every day and not have 10,000hrs like my old JD. Hope I can put 10,000hrs on my Kubota.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Negotiated a healthy raise so I’d defer my retirement for a year or so. Now I can buy a few more attachments for the “midlife crisis” I bought in 2020.

Gary Olson

Equipment
L2501 w/FEL and grapple, 3pt auger
Mar 10, 2022
Mark Twain Forest
Our retirement gift to ourselves is 25 acres half wooded, half fields with a house and shop in the Mark Twain Ozarks. The tractor is a necessity to maintain the property. 😉

20221115_072708.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

WhitleyStu

Premium Member

Equipment
B2601 LA435 FEL 60" MMM 60" Snow Blower FSP500 Spreader 5' Grahl Roller 40 spray
Sep 10, 2020
Indiana
Having been an industrial mechanic for 47.8 years I went through all my hand and power tools and donated the well used ones to several young gents then bought myself some new tools for my retirement years. Also, bought a new floor jack and Vyper chair to make chores easier. The big retirement purchase, for the two of us, was a new Ram 1500 for our short trips.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Every time someone posts a "strange name" of an item, I have to google it to figure out what it is. Sure looks like a very nice chair!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I built a 30x40 garage when I was still working, had all kinds of plans for retirement. Then life went sideways and those plans with it. But thats life, sometimes it aint all rainbows and unicorns when you walk away for the last time.
I wish you well and those that still do what they love with the ones they love.