Generator engine project

clark_bailey

Equipment
Kubota L3710, L3600 and Bobcat T190
Mar 19, 2010
West Alabama
coming right along now. made this exhaust straight with flapper. hope the neighbors like it! alternator mounting hole to be increased in diameter or a bushing and the existing hole with smaller bolt, not clear what's best yet. next is wire the switch... i got an new kubota switch for older tractor that has a position to warm the glow plugs prior to start, so no glow timer needed :) found a blem racing radiator for $80 shipped, and i was shocked, its nice. maybe tonight i'll wire the 3 wire stop solenoid, then oil change and battery. once running and the idle up solenoid wire fitted to a switch, i'll fab up a frame to bolt radiator, battery tray, fuel cell and try to find a gen set head to match up. and still gotta put an engine in the kubota in the background soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
What RPM is that engine set at? Was it from a Carrier?

clark_bailey

Equipment
Mar 19, 2010
West Alabama
I have no idea! how would I know? yes, it was a carrier engine. I took it on as a project while still looking for an engine for the tractor in the background. This one would fit but it's not quite what I was looking for on the tractor replacement. Now Christmas is here and I'm broke again so the tractor will need to wait a while longer for its engine.

clark_bailey

Equipment
Mar 19, 2010
West Alabama
I've google searched some trying to see which part on the injection pump controls the fuel flow but I can't get much info that seems correct. I keep reading about a spring that needs to be stiffer and a adjustment to allow higher rpm by increasing fuel flow but no directions on how to do it.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
there are several free Carrier repair manuals online that get into some info on the engine. Just got to cruise thru them to find the matching Carrier cooler with that engine model. Might help you find what RPM that one's IP is set up for. I doubt you need to up the rpm for generator use but Im certainly no expert.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's most likely just the stops that are set, do not mess with the governor or fuel settings.

Take a picture of the throttle linkage and the top / side of the injection pump and I'll point out the adjustments. ;)

clark_bailey

Equipment
Mar 19, 2010
West Alabama
Alternator on, wiring started, waiting on fuse panel to arrive from China! uggggg I wish I would have looked at location before I hit "buy it now"

clark_bailey

Equipment
Mar 19, 2010
West Alabama

air filter housing bracket, filter, 180 degree hose, coolant hoses, alternator, some wiring done, getting this project closer to done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk