General Production Questions......The quest for the holy grail

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
Hi all,

So as I have been doing research on my B8200 I am left with several questions. Kubota sold around 45,000+ B8200 during its production run worldwide. That works out to be about 4,600 per year. My questions are as follows:

How many 2wd vs 4wd were produced? How many Gear vs HST? How many were sold in the US of the various varieties?

These questions are for the availability of good used parts when I need them or for attachments in the future....... I have come across a few Craigslist ads for attachments for the B8200 where folks are wanting them......

Thoughts??????

Ron

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I don't know. But since you already own the tractor, I would think this might be a bit of "over think".

Myself I would just let things play out and worry about it when the time comes. UNLESS I was going to use whatever information I gained to justify a new tractor purchase.

In that case I would just buy the new tractor Immediately I suppose... :unsure: :)

Reactions: 3 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Hmm, getting the numbers 'should' be easy. Contact Kubota USA for what was sold in the USA. Those numbers will be in a computer, somewhere. The trick is to find the PERSON who can access the computer , to retrieve the numbers.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Hmm, getting the numbers 'should' be easy. Contact Kubota USA for what was sold in the USA. Those numbers will be in a computer, somewhere. The trick is to find the PERSON who can access the computer , to retrieve the numbers.
…and be willing to take the time to do so.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. If worried about parts availability, just my opinion but number machines built is not a true indicator of good used parts available, much less the specific part you need. It’s only an indicator of units produced. It may suggest reasonable to think more units around than of a model not as many produced…maybe used parts available, but that doesn’t mean how many good used parts of the part you need you can source. It’s not unreasonable but it doesn’t indicate good and available used. If service parts are not available, and you are worried about access, I’d be shopping hard for a donor unit or units if price is right. IMO predicting a specific part failure is sort of a crap shoot unless there is some product history that suggests which parts fail…in that case again try looking for service part first and if not donor model. At some point a collection of donor models could total up to more than a good buy on newer used model. Or buy another unit when yours is done and can’t find the parts and use your current one as the donor. Sooner or later got topay the piper, unless it doesnt break, and it might not. Roll the dice either way. Good luck.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Every tractor model will become obsolete, some day. it would be wise to research what likely-needed parts are shared with other models. Kubota makes more models than any most any other manufacturer, so it is likely that a significant number of parts are incorporated on other model Kubota's.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
These questions are for the availability of good used parts when I need them or for attachments in the future....... I have come across a few Craigslist ads for attachments for the B8200 where folks are wanting them......

Thoughts??????

Ron
I hear 1980 calling you. Start collecting B8200's and store them on your front lawn. Eventually they will come back into fashion and you will be the envy of your neighborhood.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Thanks for the replies.....I have been known to over research a topic. I will try Kubota.
Hi Ron,
I can identify with the "overthink" problem!
If I were you, I'd just keep my eyes open for a good parts tractor. Watch the auction listings on Equipmentfacts, or the like...Scout out the local equipment auction places in your area.

In my very limited experience, one of the weak links in the Kubota compact and sub-compact tractor drivelines is the propeller shaft and couplers for the front wheel drive. On my L2500, PO put the wrong size tires on the front, and tore up a coupler, the prop shaft, and worst, the front drive pinion. I think I got it fixed without replacing the pinion, but if I had an opportunity to score a spare front axle, I'd JUMP on it!

-Paul

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
Hi Ron,
I can identify with the "overthink" problem!
If I were you, I'd just keep my eyes open for a good parts tractor. Watch the auction listings on Equipmentfacts, or the like...Scout out the local equipment auction places in your area.

In my very limited experience, one of the weak links in the Kubota compact and sub-compact tractor drivelines is the propeller shaft and couplers for the front wheel drive. On my L2500, PO put the wrong size tires on the front, and tore up a coupler, the prop shaft, and worst, the front drive pinion. I think I got it fixed without replacing the pinion, but if I had an opportunity to score a spare front axle, I'd JUMP on it!

-Paul
There is a gentleman in Alabama that has a craigslist ad for just that, he wants older Kubota B8200's. So I have to compete with that. Right now there are 9 for sale in the US. Most of those tractors are gear driven, or are 2 wheel drive. 1 HST..... and its in pieces. Thats why i was looking for a breakdown of 8200HST-DP's

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
From Kubota:

Thank you for contacting Kubota Customer Satisfaction. Kubota does not publish information on how many of a certain machine were produced so, unfortunately, we will not be able to provide you with this information.

Best regards,

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
while they don't publish it, they do KNOW the numbers....
There is nothing to be ashamed of in doing so..... I just don't get it. I see a lot more 5200,6200, and 7200's then 8200 or 9200...... Maybe it was the price back then that kept the numbers low?

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Kubota sold around 55,000+ B8200 during its production run worldwide.
Ron,
I have been reading updates in this thread. I am wondering, considering Kubota's response to you, how you arrived at this worldwide figure of 55,000 plus ?

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
Ron,
I have been reading updates in this thread. I am wondering, considering Kubota's response to you, how you arrived at this worldwide figure of 55,000 plus ?
Serial numbers..... starting numbers and ending numbers. 1980 starting number 10002 and the ending number in 1990 55,999 gives 45,597 units (not 55,000). Avg. 4,177 units per year. I found the numbers from a tractor data site. Researching Japan cooperate emails right now..... Since the US emails yielded nothing, go to their bosses and plead my case.

Even if Kubota made 6000 units a year worldwide, just want to know how many in the US and of what configuration.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
Update:

So the year my 8200 was built was April of 1989 in Osaka. There were 46 other tractors being built at that plant. Production numbers where around 120,000 units that year. If each type got built in equal numbers (which it didn't) that would mean 2608 B8200's were produced for worldwide market. Still researching......

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your research really is pointless, you do know that right?
Doesn't matter if there was 5 or 500,000 built.
What matters is how many are still in existence as or right now.

I can tell you from a parts aspect that very little hard parts are still available.
They quit making parts several decades ago, and stock of parts has been depleted.
There are no aftermarket makers of hard parts outside of engine and hydraulic pump parts.