Gear or Hst

JimBeard

Equipment
Tiller ,6Foot Blade,FEL,3pointFinish Mower
Mar 1, 2010
Manchester NY
I am considering a B Series 2320 .
What are the benefits of a HST over a gear drive ?

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Jim. Welcome to the forum. There is another thread on this subject if you have some time you can look for that. Hst is nice for loader work or anything where you are going back and forth a lot. No changing gears.They say that the gear drive delivers a bit more power for the HP. Best bet for sure is to try them both before you decide. Try to imagine everything you will be using it for. Good luck, keep us posted.:D Dusty

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Start the engine, release the brake, push one pedal and zooom zooom zooom.....HST is for me :p

Scott

John C

Equipment
B7100D, LMC Clipper 400, LMC 4ft Box Blade, NorTrac 47" Tiller
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
Mine is gear driven I don't have a loader and mainly use it to Bush Hog as Dusty-t already stated for alot of changing direction HST is nice. I really like the hook up I get as far as power to the ground! however, with a gear driven tractor every time I clutch to change direction the PTO also stops turning which can be a pain when mowning and as I understand HST this is not an issue because the PTO turns continiously while changing direction! but I don't know first hand since the only HST Tractor I've used is my Cub Cadet lawn tractor.

gmtinker

Equipment
'07 BX1850 w/FEL, '06 John Deere X300
Mar 6, 2009
Stony Plain, Alberta
This also depends on who is going to operate it. I am comfortable with a gear tractor, but I happen to feel a LOT more confident putting my wife on an HST unit, as she is not as familiar with farm equipment. As well, I will agree that it is a little less work with a loader, and it's nice to be able to vary the ground speed with the tiller without having to clutch.

JimBeard

Equipment
Tiller ,6Foot Blade,FEL,3pointFinish Mower
Mar 1, 2010
Manchester NY
Thanks for input everyone . I will most likely stick with the gear trans.
Waiting for the dealer the give me a quote on price and trade value for my 1998 B1700 with FEL.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Thanks for input everyone . I will most likely stick with the gear trans.
Waiting for the dealer the give me a quote on price and trade value for my 1998 B1700 with FEL.
Brother Joe hasn't been on line in a couple of days. But here is a link to what he thinks about his gear trans.

Scott