Gasoline dispensing hose.

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
Since getting a 50gl diesel transfer tank and pump for fueling tractor and mower, fueling is now world's better.

To further streamline things, I have purchased a smaller tank (10 gl) for my gasoline powered equipment. Just a gravity feed that has a 10' x 1/2" hose.

I want to make the hose/nozzle assembly quick connect to remove when transporting, and drain the hose when done fueling. Any reason hydraulic fittings couldn't be used? Would attach the coupler after the shutoff valve on the tank.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I do not think that is a wise idea.

There are specialty hoses for gasoline service.

The liner of a regular hydraulic hose may not tolerate gasoline and start to deteriorate on you in spite of being drained.

G603 Premium Farm Tank Hose & Assemblies

Premium Farm Tank is commonly used for dispensing gasoline or diesel from drums, skid tanks and storage tanks using gravity feed or low pressure pumps. G603 is also excellent for lubricating and fuel oils.

Petroleum dispensing hoses

I also think there is an issue of static electricity and the hose and nozzle is designed to manage static which is a much bigger concern with gasoline than diesel. Static electricity sparks is one of the reasons the laws in most areas do not allow fueling portable tanks while they are sitting in vehicles.

Decades ago I worked in an industry and such hoses did not exist. Prior to flowing fuel from one tank to another we had to run a big jumper with alligator clips...... like a booster cable between the two tanks.

From the CDC:

In recent incidents reported to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), fires spontaneously ignited when workers or others attempted to fill portable gasoline containers (gas cans) in the backs of pickup trucks equipped with plastic bed liners or in cars with carpeted surfaces. Serious skin burns and other injuries resulted. Similar incidents in the last few years have resulted in warning bulletins from several private and government organizations. These fires result from the buildup of static electricity. The insulating effect of the bed liner or carpet prevents the static charge generated by gasoline flowing into the container or other sources from grounding. The discharge of this buildup to the grounded gasoline dispenser nozzle may cause a spark and ignite the gasoline. Both ungrounded metal (most hazardous) and plastic gas containers have been involved in these incidents.

Recommendations For Prevention Construction workers and others in small businesses who often work with gasoline-powered equipment commonly use portable gasoline containers. Homeowners use gasoline cans for their lawnmowers and other equipment. •Avoid the hazardous practice of leaving the portable gasoline containers in pickup trucks or cars when refueling! •Before filling, always remove the containers from the vehicle and place them on the ground at a safe distance from the vehicle (provides path to dissipate static charge to ground). •Touch the container with the gas dispenser nozzle before removing the container lid (provides another path to dissipate static charge to ground). •Keep the nozzle in contact with the container inlet when filling (to dissipate static charge buildup from flow of gasoline)

Dave

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
hydraulic fittings may be to slow. You may want to call this company

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
3/4” Hydraulic couplings is what I used on my diesel tank fuel system (via a genuine gasoline supply hose/nozzle) and they’ve worked great for over 2 years now.

Last edited:

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I would use something like this if your just using a fuel can. Couple of pumps and gravity does the rest.
604CD876-A280-479F-BDB5-02A5679CC2A2.jpeg

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

Just buy the fuel rated stuff it's not that expensive. Check with your local codes I don't think quick connects are legal in fuel lines as they are a major safety failure mode. You could use a union but then you are always leaking residual fuel from the lines when you disconnect. Open hoses also makes a nice home for critters to move into and transfer into your equipment fuel tanks. Buy the right stuff and leave it all connected. That's the WIN-WIN solution.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you're using a gasoline hose and nozzle, which I understood you to say, I'd use a quick connect like used on a garden hose. No more then a homeowner using it, it should last a long time.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.

cliffboyer

Equipment
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
Correct, using Gates automotive fuel hose.

I thought about garden hose and even air compressor fittings. But decided against, as any plastic or rubber used in these likely would not hold up long term.

Think will try hydraulic fitting and see how goes. Again, this is all home use application for the sole purpose of disconnecting hose for storage.

Reality is, could probably get by with just slipping hose on the barb when needed. When it gets to be a loose fit, cut an 1" off. Would be a dozen years to use up a foot of hose!

cliffboyer

Equipment
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
Here is the setup. Paid $35, and was only 15min drive from work. Came with 2.5gl of some nasty old gas. Talk about stink. And its fair share of sludge, varnish and rust. The nozzle had been nearly flattened by being run over. But I knew it was all salvageable.

Dumped in a quart of acetone, some chain, old lug nuts and shovel of 3/4 rock. Got a real workout shaking that around! That got the bulk of the junk out. Then I filled it full with hot water and a heavy concentration of Oxyclean. Let it set for 24hrs. Wow...I was floored how well that cleaned the remaining varnish.

To tackle the rust, I dumped in 2gl of water with heavy concentration of citric acid. Rotated tank in different positions every 12hrs to get all the surfaces. Did final rinse with plain water, followed with 2 rinses with 2 qts of diesel.

Pro-tip....citric acid will eat limestone rocks!

Its 99% spotless inside.

The nozzle is a press fit into the handle body. I removed it and hammered in a pointed round pry bar to reshape things. Slathered on some gasket seal and pressed back in. Still has slight curve to the left, but it works.

Shell Gasoline decals on order.

A fun little project for the weeknights. Keeps me off the streets.

20210418_222401.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
We use a cam lock style fitting on fuel transfer hoses on our portable systems at work. There are caps and plugs to use while not in use to keep spillage to a minimum. I’d think they are available at farm type stores
Camlock Fittings - Tubes International

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Here is the setup. Paid $35, and was only 15min drive from work. Came with 2.5gl of some nasty old gas. Talk about stink. And its fair share of sludge, varnish and rust. The nozzle had been nearly flattened by being run over. But I knew it was all salvageable.

Dumped in a quart of acetone, some chain, old lug nuts and shovel of 3/4 rock. Got a real workout shaking that around! That got the bulk of the junk out. Then I filled it full with hot water and a heavy concentration of Oxyclean. Let it set for 24hrs. Wow...I was floored how well that cleaned the remaining varnish.

To tackle the rust, I dumped in 2gl of water with heavy concentration of citric acid. Rotated tank in different positions every 12hrs to get all the surfaces. Did final rinse with plain water, followed with 2 rinses with 2 qts of diesel.

Pro-tip....citric acid will eat limestone rocks!

Its 99% spotless inside.

The nozzle is a press fit into the handle body. I removed it and hammered in a pointed round pry bar to reshape things. Slathered on some gasket seal and pressed back in. Still has slight curve to the left, but it works.

Shell Gasoline decals on order.

A fun little project for the weeknights. Keeps me off the streets.

View attachment 58459
How many gallons does it hold? If you're looking for a new nozzle might check with where ever you purchase fuel. When their nozzles automatic shut off quits working they just install a new nozzle. I got two of them last time I asked!

cliffboyer

Equipment
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
We use a cam lock style fitting on fuel transfer hoses on our portable systems at work. There are caps and plugs to use while not in use to keep spillage to a minimum. I’d think they are available at farm type stores
Camlock Fittings - Tubes International
Hmm...had not thought about those...very interesting....

cliffboyer

Equipment
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
How many gallons does it hold? If you're looking for a new nozzle might check with where ever you purchase fuel. When their nozzles automatic shut off quits working they just install a new nozzle. I got two of them last time I asked!
It is 10gl. Think my repair of nozzle will do the trick. Funny you mention the auto shut off...mine on the diesel tank is acting up. I need to look at it to see if repairable.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You also might take a look at TS and RK sites they have a ton of stuff for fuel nozzles and things, you might find something there