Garage setup

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
We're having a house built for us on our farm. They're getting ready to start the electrical this week. Anything special you'd ask for in the garage or anywhere else in or out of the house?

I know I want at least one 220 outlet. What else? The garage is 32 x 26 with two 12x9 foot garage doors and a man door to the side.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
We're having a house built for us on our farm. They're getting ready to start the electrical this week. Anything special you'd ask for in the garage or anywhere else in or out of the house?

I know I want at least one 220 outlet. What else? The garage is 32 x 26 with two 12x9 foot garage doors and a man door to the side.

Thanks!!

Go ahead and pull at 200 amp service - at least 100 amp sub panel.
Place outlets on your "workbench" that are on different circuits. Have you air compressor on a single 220 v by itself. Always think twice as big as you need RIGHT NOW......5 years from now - you will only be 50% behind!

GFCI the outside circuits - and you may find the need to have more that ONE 220v circuit.

Running wire is cheap - under construction is the best time to do it too!

itsaz

Equipment
BX2670, FEL, Box Blade, Wood Chipper, Rotary Cutter
Oct 14, 2016
Wichita Falls, TX
Lights!! Lots of "em!!

I have 8 four tube fluorescents in my 20' X 40' shop.
Paint the walls white and you'll need sunglasses.

Outlets in the ceiling for garage door openers!

Last edited:

mpham

Equipment
B 2650 cab
Nov 15, 2016
Massachusetts
Mine is 30x30. I had them put a 4 plug box every 5 feet around the wall. Also had 4 sets of switchable boxes in the ceiling for lights and 4 sets nonswitchable for doors and worklights.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I did 3 banks of 4' LED lights. 2 240v outlets, one for welder and one for the air compressor. The Plasma shares the welder outlet. Low Watt wall sconches by overhead doors, and LED motion floods on 3 other sides. 2 weatherproof outdoor outlets, opposite ends of garage.

Hanging heater has its own circuit. Outlets in ceiling for garage door openers. All my outdoor lights are on a timer. LEDs draw soo much less current, running 12ga everywhere was a waste of money. Garage 24x34 with 16' overhead door in front and 8' overhead door in back. Leave the wifes car alone to pull out tractor/atv....

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Run 220 to at least 3 locations. One for air compressor, a welder, maybe a lift? Possibly think of if you added a lean too later, have an extra box where you can get to power to extend for lights etc.
Always run more than you think you need

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
Thanks guys for the input. I appreciate it. A couple ideas on here made me think you might have thought this is a detached garage, but it's not. It's attached to the house.

I am pulling 400 amp service to the house. The electrical panel will be in the laundry room which is right off the garage.

Anyone put any plumbing in their garage?

I'd like to see some workbench ideas you all have done too.

Thanks again!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK attached, yeah if you have a corner put in a sink, run hot water and maybe a head too! You know the Captains head is ALWAYS a safe bet to be alone, when you need to ,,ahhummm ...think and really don't want to be bothered with fufu girly stuff:D
And like said, you can never have to many outlets, cause you will find you just dont have enough cord to reach one from where your working

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
A sink is a must. I had one in my last house and I now have a detached workshop with no sink. That is on my list to resolve this summer. I am sick and tired of having to go out in the rain to use the hose in winter.

If the garage is attached, push either a rear wall or the side wall out another ten feet for a workspace, if you still can without goofing up the design. More now is cheap. More later is often impossible.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
A head will keep the house free of greasy hand prints,saves removing boots in an emergency. Hot water can be useful too.
My shop is a little small,and the little garage had running water so putting in a head was on my wish list. Wish i had done it sooner that is.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
A head will keep the house free of greasy hand prints,saves removing boots in an emergency. Hot water can be useful too.
My shop is a little small,and the little garage had running water so putting in a head was on my wish list. Wish i had done it sooner that is.
Plus - it is one of those places.....that you can go and "rest in peace" - someone will have to work to find you!!! :)

Make sure you build a rack for all your technical manuals - that is a prime place for the reading! :)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Make sure you build a rack for all your technical manuals - that is a prime place for the reading!

True dat,, I cant tell you how many times the OLs cat got a degree in there,,lol

PW1967

Equipment
1993 kubota b2150hsd, fel, back hoe, log spliter
Aug 11, 2016
colorado
I could only dream of a new shop right now but one thing I would do is install aluminum air compressor piping, a little pricey but easy to install and a. very clean look, added with regulators and an air drier and a hose reel at a overhead door would make a sweet set up.

GEPM64

Equipment
B2601 with FEL, Box Scraper, rotary mower, 3pt snowblower and Sovema Tiller
Sep 15, 2014
Hazelridge, Manitoba, Canada
Here are my thoughts on the new garage,

Aside from the usual "shop things" like lights, plugs, etc. make sure you have a source of heat if your climate requires it, a good stereo system, at least a 46" TV, a bar including a fridge, a ceiling fan, exhaust fan. Also try to future proof yourself by running any cables, etc. before you close the walls in. Things like a couple of CAT5 runs, a couple of coax runs, phone line, etc.

Just my thoughts!

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
Here are my thoughts on the new garage,

Aside from the usual "shop things" like lights, plugs, etc. make sure you have a source of heat if your climate requires it, a good stereo system, at least a 46" TV, a bar including a fridge, a ceiling fan, exhaust fan. Also try to future proof yourself by running any cables, etc. before you close the walls in. Things like a couple of CAT5 runs, a couple of coax runs, phone line, etc.

Just my thoughts!
I didn't think about a TV. Yeah, I think I'll have them place a few outlets mid ways up the wall to mount a TV.

The garage will be spray foamed with insulated doors. A mini-split system might be something to think about...

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
My shop has satellite tv,set on a music station.stereo is more than too loud if i want. Tv is connected to sat, but i also set up a closed circuit camera pointing down driveway. Music is ok, but i never get any work done if im watching the tellie. Tv and stereo are on a light circuit, on when i flip on the lights. Sat is always on.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Yes, I'll be pulling the tractor in. I've got two garage doors side by side. They are 12 feet wide and 9 feet tall.
Not just gfci anymore,arc fault is now mandatory. At least here in canukistan. Wanna see expensive,price some arc fault plugs.