Garage setup

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
IMG_4930.jpg
Don't know what your doing about interior walls, but I framed up the interior, spray foamed the walls, sheeted with OSB, than added 42" of tin around the bottom, for grinding, welding, bumps and abrasion protection, than put a 2"x12" shelf all around the wall. It's very convenient for setting tools etc on while working. All electrical outlets and light switches are above that so they can't get bumped

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
View attachment 29461
Don't know what your doing about interior walls, but I framed up the interior, spray foamed the walls, sheeted with OSB, than added 42" of tin around the bottom, for grinding, welding, bumps and abrasion protection, than put a 2"x12" shelf all around the wall. It's very convenient for setting tools etc on while working. All electrical outlets and light switches are above that so they can't get bumped
That is a clean installation! I like it!

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
Do you want to be able to leave the tractor or other item on the trailer and back the entire thing into the garage? If so, consider higher doors and roof. Not sure if it's okay to post to other sites, but the Garage Journal is a great site for building ideals.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
When I was a wee one, my Dad had one of those retractable extension cords that self winds back onto a spool, mounted in the middle of the 2+ car garage. I was always impressed by that handy item, and swore I would have one some day. Well, I now have one for my garage up in the woods, just haven't had a chance to install it yet. It should reach every point in the garage, & out into the driveway.

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
Do you want to be able to leave the tractor or other item on the trailer and back the entire thing into the garage? If so, consider higher doors and roof. Not sure if it's okay to post to other sites, but the Garage Journal is a great site for building ideals.
When I built my garage it had a 11' x 11' door on the end to get a motorhome in it.. The motorhome is now gone, but I love the width and clearance for getting the Kubota in and out..

If any doors for cars, go with 9' width instead of 8' width. That was a recommendation from the overhead door company when I was getting quotes.. I ended up adding an additional 4' length to the garage to accommodate this.. Glad I did.

One other thing I did when running power from the house to the garage that turned out to be very handy when I extended the security system to the garage. While the trench was open for the power run, I added a 2" inside diameter pvc electrical pipe conduit, initially to run the low voltage remote control wiring to be able to open and close the garage doors from the house exit door. A pull cord was left in the conduit to be able to pull additional wiring through. 20 years later I filled that conduit up with additional wiring for the security cameras, remote controlled garage interior and exterior lighting, and sensor switches on the doors..

A little extra work and not much additional expense to add the additional underground conduit during original construction that I was very glad I did years later.

Last edited:

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
When I built my garage it had a 11' x 11' door on the end to get a motorhome in it.. The motorhome is now gone, but I love the width and clearance for getting the Kubota in and out..

If any doors for cars, go with 9' width instead of 8' width. That was a recommendation from the overhead door company when I was getting quotes.. I ended up adding an addition 4' length to the garage to accomodate this.. Glad I did.

One other thing I did when running power from the house to the garage that turned out to be very handy when I added security camera system. While the trench was open for the power run, I added a 2" inside diameter pvc electrical pipe conduit, initially to run the remote control wiring to be able to open and close the garage doors from the house exit door. 20 years later I filled that conduit up with additional wiring for the security cameras, remote controlled garage interior and exterior lighting, and sensor switches on the doors..

A little extra work and not much additional expense to add the additional underground conduit during original construction that I was very glad I did years later.
This garage is attached to my house. I have two garage doors 12 feet wide and 9 feet tall.

fendley

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SVL65-2
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
Thanks guys for the input. I appreciate it. A couple ideas on here made me think you might have thought this is a detached garage, but it's not. It's attached to the house.

I am pulling 400 amp service to the house. The electrical panel will be in the laundry room which is right off the garage.

Anyone put any plumbing in their garage?

I'd like to see some workbench ideas you all have done too.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I gotten grief over this, until people see me use it. Right next to the deep sink in my garage, I have a dishwasher.

It works great for cleaning parts. I always wash parts before I put them into the sand blaster - works great.

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
When I was a wee one, my Dad had one of those retractable extension cords that self winds back onto a spool, mounted in the middle of the 2+ car garage. I was always impressed by that handy item, and swore I would have one some day. Well, I now have one for my garage up in the woods, just haven't had a chance to install it yet. It should reach every point in the garage, & out into the driveway.

I have a retractable extension cord was the handiest things I ever put in. I also have a retractable trouble light which is super handy for working on car,s so put a couple of extra outlets on the ceiling ,now they have retractable air hoses too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
I have a retractable extension cord was the handiest things I ever put in. I also have a retractable trouble light which is super handy for working on car,s so put a couple of extra outlets on the ceiling ,now they have retractable air hoses too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going to have two plugs on my ceiling already for the garage doors. I guess I can just use the open spot to connect a retractable extension cord. Then on the other door I could put that retractable light on it.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Those pull down reels are awesome. I have them in my shops and garage.

Just one word of caution: Only use low current items on them. The small brass wiper that conducts current as the reel turns will warp or melt under higher load (above 1200W). I plugged a small heater into one once and fried it.

Another tip: Change the cord length with whatever is plugged in turned off. Once you get the length you like, turn the item back on. This helps protect the wiper and the surface it contacts and prevents arcing under higher loading. If you just have a light plugged it, that's not enough to hurt it. If your reel gets intermittent, dismantling the wiper side of the reel to clean the contacts is pretty easy. DON'T dismantle the spring side!

:)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Those pull down reels are awesome. I have them in my shops and garage.

Just one word of caution: Only use low current items on them. The small brass wiper that conducts current as the reel turns will warp or melt under higher load (above 1200W). I plugged a small heater into one once and fried it.

Another tip: Change the cord length with whatever is plugged in turned off. Once you get the length you like, turn the item back on. This helps protect the wiper and the surface it contacts and prevents arcing under higher loading. If you just have a light plugged it, that's not enough to hurt it. If your reel gets intermittent, dismantling the wiper side of the reel to clean the contacts is pretty easy. DON'T dismantle the spring side!

:)
If i could find reel-o-matic, my money would be on them. Used to be metal housing and good cords.