g1800 issues

dylang1800

Sep 5, 2016
hickory nc
hey guys. i just bought a earlier g1800 this past weekend. im not sure on the year as i cant find the model number for the mower itself. its a 3cyl diesel with the belly mower.i pretty much stole it for 100 bucks. the man had bought it for 700.. let it set for a year. said it didnt run and smoked like a train. and sold it to me. i changed fuel filters. changed oil and filter and air filter. and she runs and mows great now. my concern is this. when its cold. or before it runs for awhile. when i take off from dead stop the rearend/tranny makes a loud whinning noise. if i stop then take off from dead stop makes the noise. only does it on take off then kind of tapers off to nothing. after mowing for a good 15-20 min it almost completely goes away.. is this normal for this tractor?if not how would i fix it? it looks like it has a new filter for the rearend. also where can i buy parts? i need the headlight cover, and i need the front tensioner bracket that the pulley mounts to. the bushing is worn out. so i can only mow with one belt. THANK YOU for any responses :)

dylang1800

Sep 5, 2016
hickory nc
ALSO. the deck is AWFUL loud when i kick it on. i need an overflow tank. and on the right side where the deck lift/lower handle is. right next to is there is sapposed to be a handle. it goes from turtle to rabbit. i have NO handle there. wth is it for? THANKS!!

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
Hi dylang1800. Welcome.

The handle you're missing is for cruise control.

Regarding hydro and deck noise, I'd recommend checking and replacing hydraulic fluid and deck gear box oil immediately. Maybe you'll get lucky. If the hydro is bad it's probably an expensive fix.

For $100 you can't go wrong. Sell it for parts and make a little money.

dylang1800

Sep 5, 2016
hickory nc
Can you tell me what hydrolic fluid to use? It won't go into reverse today and only sometimes forward. When I checked the fluid this morning it showed low. Then today after sitting in the sun it showed regular . It worked FINE when I parked it yesterday. Mowed for a few hours with it. Buy today.... Acting up bad. :(

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Any fluid that is UDT compatible will work.
I use Mystik JT-5
Sadly it's not that uncommon for the hydros to go out it those models.
On some you can get them rebuilt others just require replacement.

dylang1800

Sep 5, 2016
hickory nc
I belive it's just went out :(((( man I was loving this thing. I knew $100 was to good to be true. It worked GREAT alllll day yesterday.. Now today. No reverse . And will go forward. But it grabs. Like u can hit the pedal and hold it. And it will grab and go then will slow. Then grab again. I let it sit for about a hour and half and the fluid showed normal. But this morning it was barley on the stick.. I'm going to try and add some fluid when I get it and cross my fingers. I noticed that the handle that is broke. Off is all the way in the rabbit position so when I was mowing yesterday I had to just barley hit the pedal to mow at a safe speed. Maybe that's what did it.? If I could have put it on turtle or near turtle I could have kept the pedal all the way down....idk. I guess if the fluid doesn't work.. I'll try and make a go cart with that awesome little diesel. Still makes me sad :(

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
I would stop using it till you get the transmission oil and throttle thing figured out while it still runs or your definitely going to do some major damage. Look in your area for a local kubota dealership to get the fluid and price the throttle lever and what ever parts you needed for mower deck. There are a few guys on here that have that model and might be able to help you put a parts list together.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dylang1800

Sep 5, 2016
hickory nc
Thank you for the replys. I'm going to get a filter and the fluid tmr or this weekend. I found a big old bowlens in the same mower junkyard I got my g1800 in. It's got powersteering and deck lift with hydrolic hookups on front and back. The rearend looks like it would go under my g1800 with some mods. Or if I can't do that and I can't fix the rearend on it. Then I might try to put the diesel on the big ol bowlens. Idk. But thank you for the help. :)

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
I don't think your cruise control knob has anything to do with your hst issues. That lever just mechanically engages your forward pedal. There's no electrical/computer control; it just mechanically moves the pedal. There just isn't any way I see it could be related to your issues.

However, after re-reading your post you said you just barely touched the pedal to mow and the knob was in the "rabbit" position. If you were in cruise control (forward) mode, you wouldn't be able to go in reverse. Not sure that all reconciles with your description but try moving the cruise knob all the way back (toward rear of machine). See if that makes any difference.

Regarding your hydraulic fluid level changing, only a leak could explain that. Have you checked it well for leaks?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Take the fender off.

Then clean the transmission really good.

There is a metal pipe that runs from the bottom of the transmission to the top. The bottom has a 27mm hex head "bolt" holding it into the trans case. Remove it, and there's a filter attached to the "bolt".....be forewarned, you'll lose all fluid. Then pull the pipe out of the top of the transmission and replace the o-ring(s). This MIGHT fix your problem.

When you pull the filter out, if if's full of metal shavings, the transmission is likely done.

Use UDT or super UDT only. Never had luck with anything else on these. Everything from the local tractor supply is not compatible. UDT makes them a little noisier than super UDT but SUDT is more expensive. You'll need about a gallon and a half if I remember correctly.

If you end up not fixing it, I'm looking for a few parts for a G1800/1900.

dylang1800

Sep 5, 2016
hickory nc
yes i fixed it. i put another post asking about a leak and told how i fixed it there yesterday. but yes. it was the center pipe. the o ring was leaking badly. i put a fatter o ring on it. and the screen was clean. but thank you all for your replys. and the "cruise control" stick is stuck in the rabbit position. the way it is broken i cant move it. unless i get a flat head screwdriver in there or something. but i fixed the leak and changed the filter and fluid and she runs smooth now. doesnt even make the loud noise anymore. makes a small noise. but i belive that is normal. thank you all for your replys :)