G1800 hydraulic lift problem with snowblower

87mark7lsc

Equipment
B3030
May 23, 2020
Buffalo, NY, USA
I just purchased a 1996 G1800 diesel garden tractor with 54” mower, snowblower and plow. It lifts my mower deck fine but not the snowblower now that I have it hooked up. With springs attached from the subframe to the bumper it will lift but the hydraulics whine loud. The manual shows that no lift assist springs are needed for this model but without springs it won’t even lift off the ground. Any ideas?

Attachments

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
No idea. But if it's having trouble now, just wait until it's coated with ice and snow.

I wonder if a hydraulic pressure check would be instructive? Maybe the relief valve is set too low?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
get your pressure gauge out, use the service manual to test and/or adjust

before you adjust it would be advisable to remove the rear render, pressure wash the transmission really well, and replace the o-rings on the suction tubes while you are cleaning the screen & replacing the fluid/filter with super udt2. Little over a gallon is what it takes-get 2 gal so you have spare

wouldn't surprise me if you find that the cylinder is getting weak, usually you will see some leakage externally if u do, replace it (not rebuildable to my knowledge--but I could be wrong)

87mark7lsc

Equipment
B3030
May 23, 2020
Buffalo, NY, USA
get your pressure gauge out, use the service manual to test and/or adjust

before you adjust it would be advisable to remove the rear render, pressure wash the transmission really well, and replace the o-rings on the suction tubes while you are cleaning the screen & replacing the fluid/filter with super udt2. Little over a gallon is what it takes-get 2 gal so you have spare

wouldn't surprise me if you find that the cylinder is getting weak, usually you will see some leakage externally if u do, replace it (not rebuildable to my knowledge--but I could be wrong)
Thank you. The previous owner said the fluid was just changed but I noticed that the hours written on the filter was from 500 hours ago. So I’ll start with new fluid and filter. I see now that there is a strainer filter in the hydraulic suction line. I’m wondering if that could be clogged.

The tractor came with every manual other than a service manual. How would I test for pressure? I see there is a control valve under the fender

G1800Sir

Equipment
G1800S
Oct 16, 2020
Maryland
You may want to download the service manual off of eBay for ~$15 but for now, change the fluid that's what fixed the problem on my G1800

YOUNGDRETTI

Equipment
L3750DT G1800S w/ 3 PT.
May 17, 2022
UT
Late to the party, but my G1800S did the same thing the first time I hooked everything up. I took a chance and lengthened the rod that connects to the hydraulic ram by twisting the nut a few times. I'm guessing that since it doesn't have a double nut to lock everything in position, moving the pieces around in the garage could allow the overall length to change? Since this happened on the first time I connected mine, it's all a guess but it is also the solution to my machine having the same problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user