G 1800 transmission funky after sitting for years

eastvt

Equipment
BX1880
Sep 13, 2021
Vermont
My dad had a G 1800, and he died 6 years ago. I drove it a bit after he died, and it was fine. So it’s been sitting in the garage for 6 years. I’ve been fixing it up for my daughter this week. It was really hard to get the front wheels off to change the tires, which were flat and cracked, ugh. Changed fuel filters. But the disappointing thing was that when I drove it out of the garage the transmission was stuck going forward and didn’t seem responsive they way I expect it to respond to pedal pressure. Like it was stuck in one ”gear.”. Putting the pedal to reverse did not stop the forward motion. It was almost behaving as if it were running with the cruise control lever forward — but that was not activated, in back,off position.

I didn’t really warm it up before driving it out (it was a warm day).

I also checked the UDT level, and it is quite high on the dipstick, seems over the normal range. I wonder if it could have absorbed water over the years of dis-use and expanded? And could that too-high level be the problem?

There are also two belts in the front of the engine, which I assume are transferring power from the driveshaft to the hydraulic system. I just noticed they are in bad shape. I guess they would be a troubleshooting step.

I picked up a new filter for the hydraulic fluid but haven’t replaced it yet. I notice the old one is a bit rusty, which isn’t a good sign. I guess I should change out all the UDT fluid.

But I’m also worried I’m throwing good money and time after bad. I’ve spent two days on this already and was pretty disappointed when the HST was not working, as it was when last used.

Could it be as simple as the fluid/filter? Or also those belts?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the 2 belts on the front are for the pto. Deck drive.

stuck in forward. Remove rear fender assembly then the fuel tank. Now pressure wash the transmission area really well. After it dries off, look at the hst linkages. Engine off, work the pedal forward and backward and see what's binding. Fix that. Should take care of your issues. It gets nasty under there. Check the drive shaft u-joints where you're in there. If they fail the shaft flops around and can do a lot of damage.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My dad had a G 1800, and he died 6 years ago. I drove it a bit after he died, and it was fine. So it’s been sitting in the garage for 6 years. I’ve been fixing it up for my daughter this week. It was really hard to get the front wheels off to change the tires, which were flat and cracked, ugh. Changed fuel filters. But the disappointing thing was that when I drove it out of the garage the transmission was stuck going forward and didn’t seem responsive they way I expect it to respond to pedal pressure. Like it was stuck in one ”gear.”. Putting the pedal to reverse did not stop the forward motion. It was almost behaving as if it were running with the cruise control lever forward — but that was not activated, in back,off position.

I didn’t really warm it up before driving it out (it was a warm day).

I also checked the UDT level, and it is quite high on the dipstick, seems over the normal range. I wonder if it could have absorbed water over the years of dis-use and expanded? And could that too-high level be the problem?

There are also two belts in the front of the engine, which I assume are transferring power from the driveshaft to the hydraulic system. I just noticed they are in bad shape. I guess they would be a troubleshooting step.

I picked up a new filter for the hydraulic fluid but haven’t replaced it yet. I notice the old one is a bit rusty, which isn’t a good sign. I guess I should change out all the UDT fluid.

But I’m also worried I’m throwing good money and time after bad. I’ve spent two days on this already and was pretty disappointed when the HST was not working, as it was when last used.

Could it be as simple as the fluid/filter? Or also those belts?
Did you drag the machine prior to getting it running? I know that some hydrostats can be damaged if you drag the wheels. My old Bolens had a lever or knob that you could twist that would put the hydrostat into a bypass mode so it wasn't damaged.