Fuel pump bad?

dniksich

Equipment
2010 Kubota L4400HST
Mar 27, 2024
NW Indiana
Just had the injection pump rebuilt on a 2010 L4400 and installed it but when trying to bleed it, only got a little fuel out of the 2&3 injector lines but nothing from 1&4 so I decided to check flow from the pump. Pulled the outlet line and got very little flow while cranking. Pulled the inlet line and got good flow so I'm assuming it's a bad pump? Mechanical pump by the way. I'm more of a car mechanic and I'd say pump for sure but with these, I figured I'd ask to be sure. TIA

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
bad pump, plugged filter, crud in tank......

Start at tank ,then go forward, when flow stops you'll KNOW what the cause is...

Reactions: 1 user

dniksich

Equipment
2010 Kubota L4400HST
Mar 27, 2024
NW Indiana
bad pump, plugged filter, crud in tank......

Start at tank ,then go forward, when flow stops you'll KNOW what the cause is...
It gets great flow to the inlet of the pump but very little while cranking on the outlet side going into the injection pump. Guess it is a bad lift pump. Thanks

Just pulled it and when I push the plunger I only hear oil squeezing out from around it. I also can blow through the pump both directions....guessing this shouldn't happen?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It gets great flow to the inlet of the pump but very little while cranking on the outlet side going into the injection pump. Guess it is a bad lift pump. Thanks

Just pulled it and when I push the plunger I only hear oil squeezing out from around it. I also can blow through the pump both directions....guessing this shouldn't happen?
Replace the lift pump.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks, sorry for the simple questions. Just learning the diesel engine stuff. lol
Nothing's too trivial, every part matters.
Just as a note: Don't blow air in the fuel system pats like a pump as it just blows out the diaphragm.
So if it wasn't bad before you "tested it" it will be after. ;)

dniksich

Equipment
2010 Kubota L4400HST
Mar 27, 2024
NW Indiana
Nothing's too trivial, every part matters.
Just as a note: Don't blow air in the fuel system pats like a pump as it just blows out the diaphragm.
So if it wasn't bad before you "tested it" it will be after. ;)
Lol. Just used mouth pressure. Definitely not compressed air. I’m gonna get a new pump and hope this does fix it. I’m sure it will.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have heard of bad breath, but never it is bad enough to kill a fuel pump by just blowing into it.

Reactions: 1 users