Fuel prices

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
What people don’t understand, and I am not claiming to understand fully either, is that if we stopped exporting what we do now, AND stopped importing what we need now, somehow expecting what we don’t need could be transformed into what we do need, may not be understanding reality.

My guess is that we do not have the capacity to transform what we export (and cant really use) into what we do need. So banning exports would only hurt the country, and not help, at least in the short term.

edit: I certainly wasn’t smiling a couple days ago when I filled four 5 gallon diesel containers and it cost me $100! (and change)
That is what I read the other day. It opened my eyes a little on the fact there is different types of crude and politicians are always shooting off about things they don't understand. Similar to thinking we can switch to EV's including tractors just by "Make it so" laws.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If 'we', Canada and USA actually BUILT a few refineries then 'we' would have cheaper gas/diesel prices at the pumps. well should have... IF you get rid of the greed and control 'issues'......
Saw somewhere that 80% of what Canada pumps outta the ground goes 'south of the 49th'....., hmmmmm

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
We have the same number of refineries we had two years ago, right? So, something else must be the cause of high prices. ;). Keep throwing stuff out maybe something other than the obvious will stick.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
We have the same number of refineries we had two years ago, right? So, something else must be the cause of high prices. ;). Keep throwing stuff out maybe something other than the obvious will stick.
It’s simple…. Supply and Demand.

And Greed.

The reason politicians do stoop-id stuff is because the stoopid voters allow huge money to be spent on lobbying,… Money that is often of unknown origin, especially since “Citizens United”.
Corporate and Foreign money influences our politics and that is just wrong. The root of all evil…. and in politics it’s stoopid (uninformed) voters. The present economy did not “just happen”. It’s origin is from years ago. Recent gov’t actions are efforts of correction because of those errors of yesteryear.

I bought gas yesterday at $2.99 and diesel is at $3.25. I can get it at every street corner… and the one I shop at is my choice. Economy 101.

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Recent gov’t actions are efforts of correction because of those errors of yesteryear.
I agree with recent govt actions, but it's recent govt actions that are the cause. I think you probably know that, too. ;)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’ve mentioned this before.

We burn maybe $10 worth of gasoline and diesel/day to commute to work and run the Kubota.

With winter coming, many folks in our rural area rely on heating oil ($5+) or kerosene (~$7) to heat their homes.

I can easily see run rates of $40/day for heating, plus another $10-15/day for electricity.

Electric rates are also very high now. Natural gas, where available, is no bargain either. Not sure where propane is at, but guessing not cheap.

Our community is generally older and of limited means. Many old houses or mobile homes.

This is truly scary…..🥺

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
We haven't built a new refinery in over 50 years, and some of the old refineries are just not efficient enough to continue to run. California has passed legislation banning internal combustion cars after 2035, and that ban is going to overflow into 17 other states that have adopted the "California" standard, such as Massachusetts and Connecticut. Where does California believe that all the electricity is going to come from to power these electric cars? It isn't going to come from the Hoover Dam, since the Colorado river is drying up and can't supply the water needs of the tribal lands that are guaranteed water from the Colorado river by treaty with the United States Government. These are things that the Governments of the Left Coast don't want to talk about because it will ruin their plans. Federal Government Agencies are attempting to supplant regulations to remove our liberties as guaranteed by the Constitution. Politicians want to keep as many people on the public dole so they can control the votes to keep getting elected and reelected by the very people that are dependant on receiving the money that is doled out to them, while the politicians are getting wealthy at the expense of the people that are paying taxes. I can think of 2 recent Presidents that claim that they were not wealthy when they took office, but somehow, after 8 years, they have amassed millions of dollars to buy multiple million-dollar homes. The system is rotten from the top of the barrel down to the bottom stave of the barrel.

Reactions: 2 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
California has passed legislation banning internal combustion cars after 2035, and that ban is going to overflow into 17 other states that have adopted the "California" standard, such as Massachusetts and Connecticut. Where does California believe that all the electricity is going to come from to power these electric cars?
Rarely mentioned is the fact that there is no workable plan to have these users of electric cars pay enough taxes to maintain the roads. On top of that, the EV nonsense is costing the taxpayers millions. Sooner or later the droppings will hit the fan.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The reference I made earlier to “supply and demand” is not as simple a subject as one might think.

For example, one aspect of our current economic problems is beneath the waves seen by the average person… I’m thinking for example of the global economic change simply due to containerization. The pandemic of 2020/21 created supply issues that are still with us and containerization is part of the mix. We are Still Suffering supply issues caused by ONE SHIP…the Evergreen containership which blocked Suez for a week! We have yet to catch-up with the shortages created by that debacle…not just from the cargo which was enroute…but from the job losses worldwide that resulted….and those jobs have not fully been re-filled since.
So blaming everything frustrating about the current economy on recent gov’t actions for what began years ago is short-sighted and lacking in understanding of the complexities of the global economy.

What’s happening now in Ukraine will be affecting us in 2030. I feel the politicians in 2030 will be blamed for something they are merely reacting-to on the short term because people will have forgotten what will be in the 2030 near-past.

Here’s one excellent view into how things you may not consider affects you in ways and in time-frames you never thought about:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I feel the politicians in 2030 will be blamed for something they are merely reacting-to on the short term because people will have forgotten what will be in the 2030 near-past.
They won't because the actions of the 2021 politicians will be long gone. Just wondering why you think that's remotely real in your mind.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The truck stop in 84 was 3.99 for reg and 6.59 for diesel

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
In the Great Lakes are they coming down....Regular $3.739, Premium $4.449, Diesel $4.829

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
`1.60 for gas
2.20 for diesel

that's per litre
x4 for US$ per USG is a rough easy estimate for guys south of the 49th.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
As of this morning....some of you guys don't realize how well off you are. It is really painful for those of us who have to depend on California refineries.
NV gas price 10-17-22.jpg

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
As of this morning....some of you guys don't realize how well off you are. It is really painful for those of us who have to depend on California refineries.

It's all relative to where you live, wages....etc.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who aren't getting that 'well off' feeling....simply because fuel prices are higher elsewhere.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Just came across this news article from August 2005 on TBN. Seems that high fuel prices are nothing new.

If the high price of gasoline is getting to you, don't think that it isn't getting to the station owners also. With the price of gasoline skyrocketing, they have to purchase new signage for the top of the pumps and for the lighted signs. A novel new solution to this age-old problem has been found by the Petroleum Marketers & Convenience Store Operators Group. The fuel dispensing pumps are all going to be changed to meter the gasoline in pints & cents, rather than gallons & dollars. If you are presently paying $3.00 per gallon, in the future, you will be paying 37.5 cents per pint. This change is estimated to work for at least 2 more years. It isn't known exactly what the oil companies will do then, but one suggestion is that they can then start selling it by the cup, and after that, by the spoonful.

© Junkman® News Services 2005
All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Junkman® content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Junkman®. Junkman® and the Junkman® logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Junkman® group of companies around the world.
Back in August 2005, someone reported that gasoline was $3.089 per gallon. If we adjust that amount for inflation that same 2005 gallon of gasoline would cost $4.70! According to the inflation calculator, the Cumulative rate of inflation from 2005 to today is 52.0%. In reality, we are paying the same price for gasoline today as we were in 2005. It is just that the price of gasoline had drastically gone down in those 15 years and has suddenly started to go up in the last almost 2 years.

Reactions: 2 users

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Just came across this news article from August 2005 on TBN. Seems that high fuel prices are nothing new.
Back in August 2005, someone reported that gasoline was $3.089 per gallon. If we adjust that amount for inflation that same 2005 gallon of gasoline would cost $4.70! According to the inflation calculator, the Cumulative rate of inflation from 2005 to today is 52.0%. In reality, we are paying the same price for gasoline today as we were in 2005. It is just that the price of gasoline had drastically gone down in those 15 years and has suddenly started to go up in the last almost 2 years.
No idea where that $3 a gallon in 2005 comes from. I live in Nevada, traditionally gas prices are much higher here than the rest of the country because our gas comes from California. Each vehicle I own has a log book in it in which I log every fuel fillup. Just checked one of the logs - in 2005 I paid anywhere from $1.95 per gallon to $2.22 per gallon depending on where I fueled. Nowhere close to $3 a gallon.

That same log book shows I paid around 55 cents a gallon in 1976!