Fuel prices

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Ouch. Remember these energy prices when you vote in a couple weeks 7560EB3B-9B65-4D5D-8027-F1F235ABA506.jpeg

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Yes, if you drive the price of oil up worldwide, the companies that have it make more money. That's why it is bad for the govt to do things that drive the price up which makes the fuel prices higher.
The best example is when congress authorized the export of US oil about 5 years ago. This subjected US prices to more world market prices.

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
We are in a time that corporate taxes set to 21% encourage excessive profits while they last. It is in the best interest of companies in extractive products to get them now while the demand is high and the taxes are relativly low. For a lot of history the maximum rate of the graduated taxes on corporate profits was about 50%. That had several effects some good for us all (lots of income to support the country) and some not so good (lack of incentive for huge profits) when growth was desired. Lowering the rate spurs the growth some say but the money does not go to the public and instead is retained by the investors and capitalists. Generally that is not you and I. I’m in favor of making adjustments to these rates to maximize the country’s needs and controlling the extracted resource. I’d suggest we have them a bit low right now.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I’m in favor of making adjustments to these rates to maximize the country’s needs and controlling the extracted resource. I’d suggest we have them a bit low right now.
If you do a little research, you'll see that our country's tax rates for companies are not even as low as some of the other countries in the world.

However, even the "agreement" that was recently signed propose that all companies pay at least 15% which is lower than the US. The difference is tax breaks that are created for incentives just like the tax breaks that individuals get. You can agree or disagree with what the govt is trying to make the corporations do by incentives, but that's what is happening.

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
If you do a little research, you'll see that our country's tax rates for companies are not even as low as some of the other countries in the world.
Thanks for your input.
I have, I know that. It was desperation on the part of many countries to come to SOME tax agreement as so many countries have been helpless to impose even that pitiful rate. It didn’t reflect what the G20 wanted but what they could get. Most countries have a GDP less than the profits of a good sized corporation.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Got the 100# propane topped off other day.

We’re market rate with just the 100# for cooking. Surprised me at $4.59/gallon. About $1++ over last fill.

Seems like diesel is up to $5.69. 87 octane $3.59.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Perhaps going to a definitive source like like the US department of energy's energy information site.... Would give a more accurate view of the supplies. That said the USA currently produces more oil than it can refine. And that is truly where the problem with pricing is. Shifting some of the fuel used for transport to electric will help with the cost of gas and diesel. Because if there is less demand then you will see cheaper prices at the pump.
And what are we going to use to generate all the electricity for the electric vehicles? Solar and wind just aren't going to do it at their present levels.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
And what are we going to use to generate all the electricity for the electric vehicles? Solar and wind just aren't going to do it at their present levels.
My state has pretty much transitioned from coal plants, with just 1 remaining (scheduled for decommissioning in 2024). Power is generated by a mix of natural gas turbines, solar, and wind farms.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
My state has pretty much transitioned from coal plants, with just 1 remaining (scheduled for decommissioning in 2024). Power is generated by a mix of natural gas turbines, solar, and wind farms.
That’s fine but what happens when all of the vehicles are electric?

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You live in New Mexico where the population density is relatively low compared to New England. We need more electricity just to keep our lights on than you. The same goes for New York City, whose population is greater than all of New Mexico. What works in less populated centers isn't going to work in the more densely populated areas of the United States. Being close to a good natural gas supply area is ideal for gas turbines, but we don't have an oil well in New England. All of our energy needs to be brought in either by pipeline, trains, or trucks.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
That’s fine but what happens when all of the vehicles are electric?
I think that’s going to be a challenge that will work well in some locations and not at all in others. My state has tremendous developed natural gas resources and can bring gas turbines online quickly to handle demand. But this isn’t the case everywhere. Technology will eventually provide solutions, but there would no doubt be lots of issues initially. I don’t see electric vehicles coming online all at once. Probably a slow transition over decades. My Dodge Cummins will still be running for another several hundred thousand miles. 😉

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
You live in New Mexico where the population density is relatively low compared to New England. We need more electricity just to keep our lights on than you. The same goes for New York City, whose population is greater than all of New Mexico. What works in less populated centers isn't going to work in the more densely populated areas of the United States. Being close to a good natural gas supply area is ideal for gas turbines, but we don't have an oil well in New England. All of our energy needs to be brought in either by pipeline, trains, or trucks.
Absolutely. What works in some locations isn’t a silver bullet for everywhere. My state has abundant uranium resources, but is a poor candidate for nuclear power due to limited water resources. Your part of the country is ideal for some of the new nuclear technologies. Abundant water resources for cooling and high power demands. I know that nuclear has a black eye, but some of the new technologies are very interesting; especially the community sized plants that are being built in some European countries.

Reactions: 1 users

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Great Lakes dropping here ~ Regular $3.539, Premium $4.199, Diesel $5.309
Darn it, not where I am in Michigan. Ours is cheaper than the surrounding areas and I just paid 3.959 (with the Meijer card discount) yesterday. Filled up the 5gal diesel, too. That was 5.239 (I wonder why THAT is cheaper...)