Fuel prices

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: It had no benefits to the US.
They'll get paid for every drop of oil that gets pumped through it !!! HUGE friggin PROFIT,100% profit !

Our guvs get LOTS of money from taxes on energy... car gas, truck diesel, nat gas for the house, electricity, etc.

current nat gas bill... $120 for gas, $28 HST on top of the $48 carbon tax... so $76 for the guv for $120 worth of gas.....

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
In 2008 we hit $150/barrel of oil and gas was $1.10/L at the pumps.

We hit $125/barrel in the past week and today its down to $108/barrel. Explain why gas is still $1.85/L at the pumps.

I felt ripped off paying $1.52/L last week.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Diesel early (2AM) this morning was $5.35 in mid central IL. Imagine you have a semi with two 150 gallon saddle tanks. That is a $1605 fill.

Put it into perspective, an OO that gets paid $1.20 per mile is putting out 0.76 in fuel cost alone. That leaves them with .44 cents per mile. Think we have supply chain issues now? Give it a week or two with prices like this or climbing and you will start seeing a LOT of parked semi trucks.

2008 reduex.

We had a trip scheduled for this past weekend, just got back last night. Gas was $3.89-$4.19 at most places, saw it hit $4.59 in denser populated areas in IL. The gas prices were pretty consistent from IL through KY, TN, ALabama, GA and Fl. IL was the highest. Diesel was consistently above $5. My F150 gets 20 MPG from 60-80 MPH, so was doing between 65-80 all the way, but even with gas being so expensive people still waste it, I was doing 75 and got passed like I was sitting still. Frankly people don't care how expensive gas is, they continue to waste it.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Imagine you have a semi with two 150 gallon saddle tanks. That is a $1605 fill.

Put it into perspective, an OO that gets paid $1.20 per mile is putting out 0.76 in fuel cost alone. That leaves them with .44 cents per mile. Think we have supply chain issues now? Give it a week or two with prices like this or climbing and you will start seeing a LOT of parked semi trucks.
totally agree about the squeeze...

or filling an airliner w 40,000 gallons...

on the recreational end of the spectrum, filling your fishing boat that has a 900 gallon tank to go tuna fishing over the weekend, two or three times a month.

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Directly impacts our travel plans for the year. Looks like our Texas trip is cancelled third year in a row. Unless Diesel comes back down to under $3 a gallon like it has been for several years pre-2021, we won't be doing much RV traveling, if any. My F350 has a 50 gallon tank, $267.50 to fill it at current prices, Pretty costly to drive 500 miles.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
last month's nat gas bill.....

$118 for gas,...
$48 in CARBON TAX
$28 in HST(compounded on the C tax of course...)

so... $76 in TAXES for $118 worth of product....

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: $267.50 to fill it at current prices, Pretty costly to drive 500 miles.

Well Biden just OKed 5 BILLION to put an EV charging station every 50 miles down ALL the Interstate highways.If fed from solar and wind that'll be a free ride for all ,in their EVs!

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
ByeDone can spot me an additional $50K then to replace my current truck with an equivalent Lightning, or stick his EV mandates up his stankpie.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Hearing predictions of $180/barrel now.

Glad I bought a motorcycle last year...

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
This isn’t a difficult problem to solve guys. Go buy your electric cars and stop complaining about gas prices.

We are giving them away at every empty car dealer lot around the country 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
just a bit of facts about electric cars... 2018 I bought a demo 2017 Chev Volt with 3,000 miles on it. paid $24,700 plus sales tax before the $7,500 EV credit the IRS had at the time. Now for those that aren't familiar with the Volt it has a 18Kwh battery that's good for about 53 miles and then a gas motor to run as a gen set once the battery is drained. Now the car had a sticker price of $35,xxx and the dealer in Wisconsin had been sitting on it for 11 months. When I picked it up the battery was discharged but the gas tank was full, (would have thought in the 2 days between when I made the deal to rent a car in Michigan to drive over to Wisconsin to get it they could have plugged it in). Needless to say with it I do not have to stop to charge it I can drive across country just stopping every 350-400 miles to get 7-8 gallons of gas. For the electric side I have a charger in my garage that I have set to charge it at 10 amps (no need to charge it faster as it gets a full charge during the overnight cheap electric rate). It costs me at $0.185 cents per Kwh about $2.50 to get a full charge counting the losses with converting the AC to DC and the battery temp control.
Now it works out to about 5.2 cents per mile in the winter and on a warm summer day I have gotten 79.8 miles out of the battery and that is just over 3 cents per mile... Now my F350 Diesel costs me more that 25 cents just for fuel then we have to add the cost of engine and trans oil changes that are much more than the Volt...
Moral of the story... If I am going to the store or some other errand I use the Volt. But if I need to haul the race car or tractor then I use the F350. But the truck is not my daily driver. I would much rather have money in MY bank account instead of some oil companies bank account.

I understand your priorities might be different and that's cool. Oh ad for the complaint about EV's not paying road taxes the license plate fee is higher in Michigan to make up for the fact that they are not getting gas for a pure EV or not getting as much gas in the case of my "range extended EV".

I's just too bad that GM could not scale up the drivetrain in the Volt and put it in a truck or SUV they would have sold like hot cakes...

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
just a bit of facts about electric cars
I don’t mean to be rude, but your personal experience “facts” are based on your ownership of a plug in HYBRID vehicle, not a pure electric vehicle as I read it? Hybrids are great when they got an onboard back up gas engine…

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
It doesn't really matter what anyone's priorities are. It's not about the limited number of individuals on this site. It's about those in the US/Canada who can't afford to buy a new vehicle right now and even if they can there are none available to purchase.

So, in the real world ... besides gasoline/diesel for the working people going up and crushing them, the rest of us get to pay for increasing prices of everything we buy, too because the big trucks require diesel which has gone up due to some really bad moves by those in charge.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
[snip]
Moral of the story... If I am going to the store or some other errand I use the Volt. But if I need to haul the race car or tractor then I use the F350. But the truck is not my daily driver. I would much rather have money in MY bank account instead of some oil companies bank account.

[snip]
Did you factor in the "child exploitation" to produce the lithium batteries into your assessment?

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
If we all drove sub 100 hp vehicles , the fuel economy numbers would be astronomical!

Als, even my old Vespa P200 only got 80 mpg. (on flat terrain)

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
re: It had no benefits to the US.
They'll get paid for every drop of oil that gets pumped through it !!! HUGE friggin PROFIT,100% profit !

Our guvs get LOTS of money from taxes on energy... car gas, truck diesel, nat gas for the house, electricity, etc.

current nat gas bill... $120 for gas, $28 HST on top of the $48 carbon tax... so $76 for the guv for $120 worth of gas.....
Huge profit to the pipeline people but no more oil for US refineries. My state has a $1.6 billion budget surplus from oil production in 2021. Severance taxes, in state use and refining. But Canadian oil being exported isn’t a big benefit to the US.

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Actually while there is nothing wrong with the two sets of data, the time of the beginning of the Biden presidency, and the price of oil, it is well known in science that coincidence does NOT prove causality. There are many factors that influence the price of oil.
Sure sure, and does science say coincidence can not prove causality?

If you don't think policy matters there is no point in discussing this as you have no grasp on the situation.

If you understand that policy does matter, how can you look at all the bad trends that started after the policy changes and not see the connection? I would genuinely like to know how an educated person can avoid the connection.

"Correlation does not imply causation" is a cute saying, ever hear of Occam's razor?

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Sure sure, and does science say coincidence can not prove causality?

If you don't think policy matters there is no point in discussing this as you have no grasp on the situation.

If you understand that policy does matter, how can you look at all the bad trends that started after the policy changes and not see the connection? I would genuinely like to know how an educated person can avoid the connection.

"Correlation does not imply causation" is a cute saying, ever hear of Occam's razor?
US oil production increased during 2021, and so did prices. Oil company collusion to recoup 2020 losses?