Fuel Lubricity

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
6000hrs on a cummins motor before midlife (injector change, fuel pump) 12000hrs full rebuild. Off highway use. New cat engines tier 4 3000hrs injector change, 6000 hrs injector change and pump, 9000 injector change, 12000 hrs full rebuild. Shut off a tier 4 cat engine under load at full revs too many times you will burn or melt the tips off the injectors.. Being earthmoving gear they spend 80% at 100% load. 250k for a engine rebuild. Nobody that I know of in this industry adds any thing to their diesel. It is (xl) (extremely low) sulfur fuel too.
I really don't understand this info. Is this suppose to be good or what?

12,000 hrs for a full rebuild? Are you saying this is good or bad?

I'm not trying to argue about it I just want to understand what you posted.

manofaus

Equipment
bx2350
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
just saying that we use (XL) diesel in these engines without additives. If you are going to find a place that would probably want to increase the longevity of the engines it would be a place that burns over a million litres of diesel a week.

We also have kubota engines in gen sets that last about 8000 hours before they are knackered. Just got to keep on top of the cooling systems in them.

Dune33

Equipment
L3800, 72 kk mower, 48" tiller, plastic mulch layer,
Jun 14, 2012
Wyoming, MN, USA
In Minnesota state mandate requires that all Diesel contain 5% Biodiesel and will soon go to 20%, not allways the best for winter operations and can cause alge but biodiesel brings the lubricity back to ULS fuels.

Two Guns

Jan 6, 2013
Swamps of Louisiana
I'm going off what I've seen and the diesels I've been around in my 10 years of truck driving. There are thousands of road tractors out there with well over a million to a million and a half miles on their engines and its been done with nothing more then routine maintenance and service. QUOTE]

And I can agree with that. Also, seen many engines that has many hours on it.

......BUT, diesel is not what it used to be. And I can go back as far as forty years.
Diesel fuel is different, and so is the engines they build today. It is just
what you believe in !!!! :cool:

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I had a Cat 980 G loader with a 3406 engine in it. I added trans fluid to the fuel everyday when I filled up. I had it for 11 yrs, 25,000 hrs and it had the original injectors, injector pump and turbo. When I lost track of it the machine about 30K hrs and still on original equipment. I don't know if the trans fluid helped or not but it sure didn't hurt anything.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I had a Cat 980 G loader with a 3406 engine in it. I added trans fluid to the fuel everyday when I filled up. I had it for 11 yrs, 25,000 hrs and it had the original injectors, injector pump and turbo. When I lost track of it the machine about 30K hrs and still on original equipment. I don't know if the trans fluid helped or not but it sure didn't hurt anything.
Wow, Bulldog. What did you use the loader for that would rack those hours up in 11 years? That's 6.2 hours a day, 7 days a week. I bet you got pretty good at running it!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hodge, I worked the stock yard at a Limestone quarry. All total I have about 45,000 hrs experience on wheel loaders. I always just let my work speak for itself but I guess it would be safe to say I was an above average operator.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Hodge, I worked the stock yard at a Limestone quarry. All total I have about 45,000 hrs experience on wheel loaders. I always just let my work speak for itself but I guess it would be safe to say I was an above average operator.
Holy cats. that's impressive! As a kid, I want to do nothing but be a heavy equipment operator. My dad had a flooring business, and I went to work with him. He worked a lot for one builder, who used the same fellow for excavation. I would ride on his lap all day long, on a track loader. Those were the days when you could do that...
And my favorite books were "Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel", and "The rattle-rattle dump truck".