fuel costs..

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I would rather buy a Japanese car than a Mercedes because you don't want to own a Mercedes when it is out of warranty. I know because I used to own Mercedes cars until the maintenance got way too expensive and the service at the dealership became a joke. Pay to have the cabin filter replaced, and when you checked it wasn't done. Now I own 2 Fords, and with the extended warranty, they are good for 8 years or 100,000 miles.
I have owned two Mercedes, but have never visited a Mercedes dealer.
In 2020 got a MB quote for 6 spark plug change $1034.89
I will never forget that number!
Even at 79 (then) I did it myself for $76 total.
Took me 3 hours though.

I still do my own oil (pump out) and all filters.
When necessary, I go to an independent who I really trust!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
No matter what you are paying it is still much higher than 2 years ago !

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
No matter what you are paying it is still much higher than 2 years ago !
Two years ago was the height of Covid and I paid as low as $1.18/gallon for regular gas. But oil was also $40/barrel because demand was way down. Now I’m paying $3.18 at Costco, but demand is also very high now. Everyone is driving. And our local oil drilling companies and refineries are making record profits. It has likewise led to record state budget surpluses.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You was just about in the back yard ! lol

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the old shop truck was a 2020 tundra. It got 11 mpg unloaded around town, 13 on the highway. With a trailer behind it typically 4-9 depending on which trailer and how it was loaded. If they were any better on MPG, and better looking, and actually full sized instead of 7/8 size, they might be more popular. The other big downfall with at least the older ones was the 4.7 and it's tendency to need a $1500 timing belt/water pump replacement every so often. Owners who kept them long enough to do that really didn't care for the sudden shock of having to do it. A lot of import vehicles are that way, require a timing belt every so often. Some of them are easy to DIY, others not so much. The 4.7 Tondra was the latter, needs a special tool to hold the cams from turning similar to some V6 cars. My old 2.3L Mustang? LOL...I hate to admit, but I've changed a timing belt on the side of the road. I got it a tooth off and it would barely idle and was real weak but it got me 45 miles to the house where I fixed it in 10 minutes and drove it to work the next morning. If you are off a tooth on a lot of other cars/trucks (particularly imports...) you're likely gonna have some serious issues.