Frustration with waiting on new Kubota order

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Agree.

I work in Workforce Mgt at a large corporation and yes, the same principals of a small business apply for a Fortune 10 company. We have a duty and mandate to shareholders to hit our earnings targets for the Street. When labor makes a paradigm shift in cost, basic math is needed to determine whether a capital investment in technology like automation is more predictable and cheaper over the next X years than paying for and dealing with the associated challenges of the human labor force. Sucks but there is no free lunch and that higher wage has downstream impacts. Unless people want to pay $17 for a "value meal" automation is there to stay.
I agree with all this. My additional observation though is that in a tight labour market there aren't enough workers for all the jobs. The thing we should want to happen is that the lowest paid jobs don't get filled, and get replaced by automation. That means that the average job now pays more. That's how labour productivity improves and the country gets richer. It's not a problem in a situation where there's more work than there are workers, as opposed to when it's forced on business through raises in the minimum wage (which mean jobs evaporating even though there aren't enough jobs).

The problem inside that of course is if some people simply can't do more than $14 of work in an hour. If there are people in the population who aren't employable at the new pay rates, then the businesses that need workers won't hire them, even though they're desperate. I guess if all the jobs that are automatable got automated, and this job is important to whatever overall process they're running, then they'll hire a person for it or go out of business.

And also, like always, pay rises lead to inflation, and that has consequences too.

My point is that I'm a strong believer in markets. When people want to raise the minimum wage I would usually say "that's a bad idea, if that person had enough skills to get paid more the market would already pay them more." And people think I'm naive and that we need government intervention. Now that the market's doing what I said, I can hardly say "that's a problem, I don't want people to get paid more." The market is doing exactly what it's supposed to do when there's a shortage. And as the price of labour goes up, some people who weren't working start thinking "hey, that job's paid pretty well", and they come out of retirement, or come off welfare or whatever they do.

Reactions: 2 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Has anyone called around lately to find out expected lead times for new tractors?
It all depends on the dealers in your area, what they have on order, what they have already sold, and the model you are looking for.

Reactions: 1 user

Retired in SD

Equipment
BX23s
Aug 27, 2021
South Dakota
Has anyone called around lately to find out expected lead times for new tractors?
I ordered a BX23s four-months-ago. My dealer called me yesterday and told me that Kubota is no longer providing them with estimates and he has no idea when I'll get my scut. I look back four-months-ago at my naivete and excitement that I'll be able to put away my shovel and wheel barrow. Guess what I spent the morning doing... Shoveling gravel is the best way to cure naivete and excitement. I just keep reminding myself that there are a lot of people with real problems being caused by "The Great Shortage of 2021." I thanked my dealer for the update. I can only imagine that some folks give them an earful when it isn't their fault. Thankfully we aren't as bad as Venezuela... yet.

Rwire17

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535, BH77, BB1260, PFL2042. Cub Cadet ZT2
Jun 28, 2021
Sidney,NY
I ordered a BX23s four-months-ago. My dealer called me yesterday and told me that Kubota is no longer providing them with estimates and he has no idea when I'll get my scut. I look back four-months-ago at my naivete and excitement that I'll be able to put away my shovel and wheel barrow. Guess what I spent the morning doing... Shoveling gravel is the best way to cure naivete and excitement. I just keep reminding myself that there are a lot of people with real problems being caused by "The Great Shortage of 2021." I thanked my dealer for the update. I can only imagine that some folks give them an earful when it isn't their fault. Thankfully we aren't as bad as Venezuela... yet.
My dealer also told me the same thing.
Kubota has stopped giving estimates after customer complaints.
He told me expect at least a 6 to 10 month wait.
I ordered a LX2610SU in June.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Agree with this wholeheartedly.

I'm a New England guy and spent my teenage years in MA where at the time (perhaps still is) the min age for employment was 14 years old. With the talk of $15/hr min wage, I cannot reconcile that a McD's drive thru worker that is 14 years old ( yes that was my first gig) would be making the annual equivalent of $31K/yr.

While I understand the plight for a "livable wage", I do believe the part we are completely missing here is the acquisition of an "in-demand" set of skills that the marketplace is willing to actually pay a livable wage for. I thought that was a simple concept.

I cannot fathom the mindset that drives someone to spend $200K on an undergrad degree in Art History only to realize they then need to spend another $250K and 6-8years to get a Phd in Art History to finally land that coveted Museum gig paying $42K/yr and they now have $400-450K in debt to service and then complain there is no "affordable" housing and wages are too low. I don't think anyone needed a Phd to see that outcome as highly probable.

If art or something similar is your passion, by all means roll with it......but you go in knowing the financial aspect is bleak and when that reality hits you in the gut it isn't anyone else's responsibility to work hard to subsidize your life choices.

But what do I know.......
Grew up in Eastern MA also.
TOTALLY AGREE!
Am 81 now, and doing just fine, ...... because I worked hard to get here!

Reactions: 3 users

Cleverpiggy

Oct 25, 2021
Michigan
Hello, first post here. I had my decision made to get a LX2610. The place I want to by it from has no LA535 loaders for it until after the first of the year, so Kubota is telling him this. My dealer does have a B2301 ready to fly. If I go with the 2301 am I going to regret it? I know there are many many variables that are needed to answer this question properly, I'm just looking for feedback. My gut tells me to wait it out for the 2610.

Reactions: 1 users

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Hello, first post here. I had my decision made to get a LX2610. The place I want to by it from has no LA535 loaders for it until after the first of the year, so Kubota is telling him this. My dealer does have a B2301 ready to fly. If I go with the 2301 am I going to regret it? I know there are many many variables that are needed to answer this question properly, I'm just looking for feedback. My gut tells me to wait it out for the 2610.
wait it out for the one you want.

Reactions: 4 users

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
How is this useful? THe LX2610 was the B2650 replacement. Clever piggy wants info on a B2301, which is a bit smaller of a machine than the B50 or LX.

@Cleverpiggy the LX2610 is more tractor, but not much. Most go LX to get a cab, but also lots of nice deluxe features vs the B. The question is do you NEED that loader before the first of the year. If the answer is no, then there is no harm in waiting.

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
How is this useful? THe LX2610 was the B2650 replacement. Clever piggy wants info on a B2301, which is a bit smaller of a machine than the B50 or LX.

@Cleverpiggy the LX2610 is more tractor, but not much. Most go LX to get a cab. The question is do you NEED that loader before the first of the year. If the answer is no, then there is no harm in waiting.
im sorry. I thought The b2301 and b2650 were the same machine. Guess I’ll have to do my Kubota homework before i post Anything else.

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Thanks for the advice. I've watched every Messicks video at least two times LOL! I think I've actually watched ever LX and B series YouTube video as well.
Good luck in your decision. I had The 2650 confused with the 2601. But good luck man, sometimes it’s nice to have something now now now, but you also might regret not waiting for what you really wanted.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The LX is a bit more machine. It depends what you're doing. Things that stand out for me are:

The LX can have a 72 inch mower deck. That's a lot more mower than the 60 inch on the B2301. Are you planning to mow with it?

The B has a nicer dash (in my opinion). I don't like the digital dash on the LX.

The LX in person is a larger machine, but not that much larger. The B is a lot more than a BX, the LX feels a little bit more than the B. I guess I'm saying the step from the BX to the B is the big one, the LX feels like another 10-20% (and the stats seem to bear that out).

I personally feel that the B2301 is a bit of a compromise, I went with the B2601. And if you were looking at the LX, there's a risk you'll always feel that bit short. And 2 months isn't a long time to wait.

What sort of tasks will you do? Maybe take the LX home today, take it back in for a loader when it comes in? Then you can do some stuff now. Although I guess it's winter where you are, so not like you'll be mowing with it. What would you actually do with a tractor between now and January?

Retired in SD

Equipment
BX23s
Aug 27, 2021
South Dakota
I chose the BX23s because it seems the best fit for my needs. I've also got a stack of BXpanded accessories for it sitting in the shed. So though I cannot advise you in your situation, nor do I have any remote expertise on tractors like the many folks contributing in this forum, I can tell you that I dug in (so to speak) to wait for mine to arrive. A year from now, hopefully, the wait will be nothing but an irritating memory. Also, my salesman has been apologetic as he kept me informed, but I've been careful to empathize with him as he is stuck in a strange time in history. It's not like the guy can swim out to the various cargo ships waiting in the ocean (for whatever the reason) and cherry pick the various items that Kubota needs to finish my tractor down in Georgia. Living at elevation, if it arrives anytime in the next few months, it looks like I'll do my learning with snow...

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I looked at every size machine when I started shopping. We have 45 acres there is a use case for just about every size machine. In general, the closer to the house, the more useful a smaller machine is. So its just a choice....what do I need to do on my property now, what is most important to me to be done, etc etc.

I am at 8600ft, so in the end a turbocharger ended up being a requirement...and that disqualified any machine smaller than a LX3310 (formerly B3350). That said I started out looking at the BX. So useful close in around the house, basically a back saver for yard work. I ended up a no mainly due to the 2 range HST...at my altitude and with hills...no go. I looked at the B2601, which felt like the perfect size machine for quick work..easy on/off. B2650 felt much smoother and more comfortable overall, but I would have chosen the B2601 over it..I actually liked smaller.

From there I moved up to the Grand L/MX. Building a house I knew a backhoe would save me thousands of dollars in trenching/digging fees so that became a must. I even looked at an excavator (lots of cleanup to do on property). Ultimately I ended up with the TLB (M62) and it has been a great machine for the last few years.

Last Fall we had a major fire in my area. We were lucky but lost about 5 acres. We also had a bunch of bulldozed fire line put through the place...so my use case has changed. Impossible to find reliable contractors to do good work, so that is out. No way to predict it but it is clear an excavator is much more useful. So I am now considering a trade for an excavator + tractor combination.
Point being you can try to plan for the future but you can predict it! This is why I say get the machine you need now...ie the machine you have 20 active, ready to start tasks/projects for..

Reactions: 2 users

Plant 175

Equipment
Kubota Sidekick
Jun 3, 2021
Wisconsin
Well I suppose I better get out and order a B2601. Dealer told me a month ago he had a few so we will see.

ocsranch

Equipment
kx40, bx2660, l4701hst
Nov 6, 2021
oregon
Well I suppose I better get out and order a B2601. Dealer told me a month ago he had a few so we will see.
I would be surprised if any Kubota dealer had anything right now. We ordered a KX-040 earlier this year, got lucky because the buyer ahead of us got tired of waiting after 4 months and cancelled, so we got the machine 60 days later. Then we ordered a L4701HST, it's bigger than our BX and smaller than our Massey or John Deere, we wanted to to plow with. That was four months ago, raining now so it will be next year before we can use it even if/when it does show up. Microchips and finding labor is some of the problem, lack of truckers doesn't help.