frozen hydraulics

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I never had a problem with my tractor hydraulics.... as mentioned, I always let it warm up first in cold temps.

HOWEVER,
Back when I was foolish enough to plow snow......

I would occasionally have a plow pump or line freeze up.

I started adding a small amount of isopropyl alcohol to the fluid and never had another problem.

-just sayin....

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
The operator's manual for the L2501 on page 41 specifically states that warming up the engine in temps below -20C (-4F) requires 30 minutes .... allowing the L2501 to run is a must and not harmful.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The operator's manual for the L2501 on page 41 specifically states that warming up the engine in temps below -20C (-4F) requires 30 minutes .... allowing the L2501 to run is a must and not harmful.
Its very harmful if its not getting oil.

Dan

Last edited:

Allen in MT

Equipment
L2501
Jan 13, 2024
Montana
I don't know if I should have been able to do this or not ...

I started my L2501 HST the other day at around -10 to -15, nope, I didn't look at the temp. When it started, it vibrated for a bit side to side. My guess was the hydraulics. I backed out of my shed and let it run at about 1500. After a while (I didn't time it), it stop vibrating and worked fine to clear my snow drifts.

YMMV.
Mine starts just fine, (plugged in) I can't back up or go forward and no 3 pt or front bucket movement or steering at this point. Don't know how long I can let it idol to warm up without damaging the hydraulic pump.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Mine starts just fine, (plugged in) I can't back up or go forward and no 3 pt or front bucket movement or steering at this point. Don't know how long I can let it idol to warm up without damaging the hydraulic pump.
Something is not right.
Water / Ice in fluid
Water / Ice in filters
Wrong fluid
Suction leak
Failing pump (very last on the list)

Reactions: 1 user

unioncreek

Equipment
Kubota L3710 GST
Nov 1, 2023
WA
When I worked on a far in MT feeding cows during the winter. We fed with a JD at -40, did it every year for 10 years.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
My guess is it's ok to run.

I'd run it until the engine comes up to operating temperature because I don't think the hydraulic pump is doing a lot when you are moving controls. Any of the linkages could be frozen up. If there is any water in the system that is frozen, my guess is it will eventually melt and free up.

You could also put a mild heat source near it if you can keep it out of the wind. Or, if you are like us, it's going to warm up pretty soon, so maybe moving into the sun if you can keep it out of the wind could also work.

Good luck.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Get a tarp, and a big heater. Preheat it for several hours. If it still does not work right after a warm up period idling, yu have other issues. Hopefully its just the cold, thick oil. The hydraulic shuttle on the 7060 is slow at those temps to engage too, even with our canadian 'premium UDT'. -20 is normal for a lot of us though. Patience and preperpration are 2 of the many things required to work in the cold!

Allen in MT

Equipment
L2501
Jan 13, 2024
Montana
12 above this morning & everything working as it should, but to be on the safe side I'm going to get the fluids changed as soon as I can get a filter kit. I think that negative bitter wind at 35-40 below was to much for the HF and it got to thick to pump even tho it had super UDT in it.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Surprised nobody mentioned the old standby back in the day.....

coffee can with a toilet paper roll in it.... soaked in diesel under the engine... worked good on those B-models..... :devilish:

fire in the hole....

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Surprised nobody mentioned the old standby back in the day.....

coffee can with a toilet paper roll in it.... soaked in diesel under the engine... worked good on those B-models..... :devilish:

fire in the hole....
After reading the tarp and heater suggestion I was thinking that. Around here it's a coffee can and just some coals.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Out of curiosity I watched a video on this subject. The mechanic said anything below 10 degrees let it idol to warm up for 5 minutes but you need to be easy on tractor, don't run it wide open no heavy loader or 3 point work. He suggested 15 minutes at idle or a tad higher when colder . No block heater on my 2610 and it's parked in an old drafty leaky farm shed. Winterized diesel and antigel dumped in it. Glow plugged for 10 seconds and fired right up at -30. I let it idle for 15 minutes and all seemed good.

My uncle was a foreman for the pipeline and they put tarps or had special tents like ice shanties they put over frozen equipment and blew a torpedo heater through it........took most of the day but got lost stuff unfrozen.

Plowing snow for a past employer a skidloader gelled up. We backed a 2nd one up to it and covered the engines with a tarp. The heat from the exhaust was enough to unthaw it.

Both ideas you need to us cation I'd never leave a heater Un attended especially with a tarp near it.

In my area it was -30 now next week +30 with rain. Maybe wait and see if the weather changes anything or find a bigger heater or get a smaller lp one and see if that helps.

Just don't put it too close to anything.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
12 above this morning & everything working as it should, but to be on the safe side I'm going to get the fluids changed as soon as I can get a filter kit. I think that negative bitter wind at 35-40 below was to much for the HF and it got to thick to pump even tho it had super UDT in it.
Don’t change your oil until you can get the tractor warmed up above freezing temperatures for several hours or possibly a couple of days. Make sure it’s a warm day or in a garage. It takes a long time for the metal in a rear end and transmission to warm up enough so that any frozen water will thaw out completely and drain out. If you don’t wait for it to thaw out enough, then your oil change will be a waste because you will still have moisture in the tractor.

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
I really don't think the fluids need changing. The OP was hesitant to allow the tractor to idle and warm up properly. Doing that will cure the problem that was caused.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
A logger friend will start his equipment, then bungee cord a lever over so the function goes over relief a little bit, he claims that'll warm the oil up faster! These guys work no matter the temps so they can eat.

specialtool

Equipment
B7100
Jan 6, 2024
Connecticut
A logger friend will start his equipment, then bungee cord a lever over so the function goes over relief a little bit, he claims that'll warm the oil up faster! These guys work no matter the temps so they can eat.
Yes, that is correct. I used to have a Cat 225 excavator and right in the operator manual it says to hold the bucket curl on lock relief for 30 seconds or 3 minutes (I can’t remember 🙂).
Anyway, that works.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
-15F here for a few days, tractor is under awning behind shop. Engine block heater for an hour and it starts like it was 40f out. SUDT2 up here. Had to use the blower to clear some 2 ft drifts.