Front wheel differential lock stopped working one side

aurellijus

Equipment
Kutbota st401
Jul 15, 2023
Lithuania
Ok after some research I've found that the front axle is not different.
And that a non bi speed an Bi speed have the same axle on newer models as the bi speed is done in the transmission on these.

So this brings us back to the original post, when you installed the seal, something got installed wrong.
or left out, or you have a bad bearing in the side that the seal was replaced.

lift booth front tires off the ground.
Have the tractor in 2wd, not running.
Turn the wheels by hand and listen for a noise.
ok, than kyou for all the effort looking it to this. Traktor done only 840h so I would doubt if that would be a bearing. But will try as you advised. If no luck will try to record the noise and post on here. I suppose would have to dismantle right side to investigate as well.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Tfront alxe assembly on my
And that a non bi speed an Bi speed have the same axle on newer models as the bi speed is done in the transmission on these.

So this brings us back to the original post, when you installed the seal, something got installed wrong.
or left out, or you have a bad bearing in the side that the seal was replaced.

lift booth front tires off the ground.
Have the tractor in 2wd, not running.
Turn the wheels by hand and listen for a noise.
The front axle assembly on my Bi-Speed Turn 1750 is most definitely different than the front axle assembly on all non Bi-Speed Turn 1750s that I have seen and the Bi-Speed gearing is in a gear case that is part of the front axle assembly on the right side.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Tfront alxe assembly on my

The front axle assembly on my Bi-Speed Turn 1750 is most definitely different than the front axle assembly on all non Bi-Speed Turn 1750s that I have seen and the Bi-Speed gearing is in a gear case that is part of the front axle assembly on the right side.
I should have specifically noted on his specific model and on newer models the front axle is not different.
Yes older models they did put the bi speed right at the front axle.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hmm...

I think what is being said here is that technically, I was correct, which is the best kind of correct.

#glee
Interesting, but I think not.

IIRC, The B1550/1750/2150 series was built between 1988 and 1995 or 96. Mine is a 1993 unit, special ordered in June of 1993 because there were no Bi-Speed units around. Clearly, mine is not an early unit.

Moreover, my copy of the WSM, provided to me by my dealer in 2018, clearly shows the Bi-Speed gearcase integral to the front axle assembly and makes no mention of any Bi-Speed mechanism within the transmission.

Moreover, as a former design engineer and engineering project manager, it is inconceivable to me that Kubota would have gone to the expense of redesigning the Bi-Speed mechanism for two or three years of future production of the B1550/1750/2150.

Bi-Speed Turn was used on larger models as well. The last tractor that I saw with Bi-Speed Turn was an M6, about 10 years ago. I did not notice how the Bi-Speed Turn mechanism was implemented and it may well have been within the transmission, but I have never seen a B1550, B1750, or B2150 with Bi-Speed Turn mechanism implemented anywhere but within a gearcase on the right side of the front axle assembly.

I will believe otherwise when I see photos or other documentation of B1550/1750/2150 Bi-Speed Turn mechanisms anywhere but within a front axle gearcase.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Interesting, but I think not.

IIRC, The B1550/1750/2150 series was built between 1988 and 1995 or 96. Mine is a 1993 unit, special ordered in June of 1993 because there were no Bi-Speed units around. Clearly, mine is not an early unit.

Moreover, my copy of the WSM, provided to me by my dealer in 2018, clearly shows the Bi-Speed gearcase integral to the front axle assembly and makes no mention of any Bi-Speed mechanism within the transmission.

Moreover, as a former design engineer and engineering project manager, it is inconceivable to me that Kubota would have gone to the expense of redesigning the Bi-Speed mechanism for two or three years of future production of the B1550/1750/2150.

Bi-Speed Turn was used on larger models as well. The last tractor that I saw with Bi-Speed Turn was an M6, about 10 years ago. I did not notice how the Bi-Speed Turn mechanism was implemented and it may well have been within the transmission, but I have never seen a B1550, B1750, or B2150 with Bi-Speed Turn mechanism implemented anywhere but within a gearcase on the right side of the front axle assembly.

I will believe otherwise when I see photos or other documentation of B1550/1750/2150 Bi-Speed Turn mechanisms anywhere but within a front axle gearcase.
I don't think your understanding what we are saying.

Yes the OLDER B1550 / B1750 / B2150 and the B2410 / B2910 and maybe a few others OLDER B's had the BI Speed steering in a case at the front axle.

But on his ST401 and earlier ST series tractors the bi speed steering is in the Transmission and not at the front axle.

FYI: The ST series tractors are not available in USA or Canada.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I don't think your understanding what we are saying.

Yes the OLDER B1550 / B1750 / B2150 and the B2410 / B2910 and maybe a few others OLDER B's had the BI Speed steering in a case at the front axle.

But on his ST401 and earlier ST series tractors the bi speed steering is in the Transmission and not at the front axle.

FYI: The ST series tractors are not available in USA or Canada.
No argument about any European models about which I said nothing.

My original post follows: " Not familiar with your model but my B1750 has Bi-Speed Turn, which is a two speed front axle designed to decrease both turning radius and turf damage when in FWA and Bi-Speed is engaged. It has no front differential lock."

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious was I , went to Coleman's to look at parts....
1) dang 'complicated' but interesting
2) HOW is 'turning radius' decreased with 'bi-speed' ?
3) original post problem... maybe a 'clutch pack' failure ?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
curious was I , went to Coleman's to look at parts....
1) dang 'complicated' but interesting
2) HOW is 'turning radius' decreased with 'bi-speed' ?
3) original post problem... maybe a 'clutch pack' failure ?
When turning, front wheels travel around larger radius than rear wheels, causing front wheels to slide when in FWA, limiting turning radius and damaging turf because front tires are not turning quickly enough.

When Bi-Speed turned on, front axle shifts into high range at high steering angle. This causes front axle to pull front end around turn, decreasing turning radius while reducing turf damage.

Bi-Speed Turn was an expensive and uncommon option though it was once offered on utility tractors above 100 PTO HP.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I finally got around to watching the video and it seems that when in bi-speed mode, the tractor becomes a FWD, and the fronts 'claw' their way as opposed to the normal 4WD where the rears push the front forward.,across the grass as they don't have enough downforce to get a grip.Be interesting to see 200# added up front and the demo run rerun.
To me, the 'turning radius', is determined by where the front tires are . when set to 'full right ' it should not matter if you're in 4wd,2wd,0wd.
I learned very early in my tractor time to use the independent rear brakes to make 'tight' turns(pivot on the braked tire).

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I finally got around to watching the video and it seems that when in bi-speed mode, the tractor becomes a FWD, and the fronts 'claw' their way as opposed to the normal 4WD where the rears push the front forward.,across the grass as they don't have enough downforce to get a grip.Be interesting to see 200# added up front and the demo run rerun.
To me, the 'turning radius', is determined by where the front tires are . when set to 'full right ' it should not matter if you're in 4wd,2wd,0wd.
I learned very early in my tractor time to use the independent rear brakes to make 'tight' turns(pivot on the braked tire).
Might want to drive a BST tractor with MMM sometime. It is not a ZTR but it will mow around a much smaller radius when BST is engaged than when it is not.

Not possible to use turning brakes on some CUTS with brake pedals and HST pedals on same side, e.g., B1550/1750/2150, etc, or those without turning brakes, e.g., BX series, etc.

aurellijus

Equipment
Kutbota st401
Jul 15, 2023
Lithuania
Ok, today I done some work the the tractor and switched bi speed on to listen to the noises if it makes once turning. No noise came out at all. Also managed to get suck in mud as it is spring and ground is soaked. Used differential lock in reverse and all 4 wheels where spinning at the same time no noises where coming out. Not sure what changed as I done nothing, unless shacked the bi speed arm on the right side to check it. Will keep monitoring it might all went in to places after all.