Front weights

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I put together a weight bar for the front of my L3200. The weight is about 260#. Cost of the steel was $210. Total bill was about $225, with the hardware and a can of spray paint. Kubota's suitcase weights would have been about $350.:)

Attachments

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Nice! Looks like it'll help protect the steering links also.

I'm going to do a bumper in that area, but don't want extra weight up front. Have a heavy FEL up there anyway.

rongarrett

Equipment
M7040 SU
Nov 10, 2011
Newnan Georgia
I have the factory front ballast on my M7040 and front tires filled with anti freeze. Still need a little more weight. I plan on doing something similar to what you did. I am going to have some steel cut out to match the factory ballast shape, then drill a hole thru the ballast and added steel to increase weight.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
I put together a weight bar for the front of my L3200. The weight is about 260#. Cost of the steel was $210. Total bill was about $225, with the hardware and a can of spray paint. Kubota's suitcase weights would have been about $350.:)
Looks great. I bet it's going to make a Hugh differance.

I'm going to do a bumper in that area, but don't want extra weight up front. Have a heavy FEL up there anyway.
I've made a couple and have worked out well.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5176

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Yes, It made a big difference. I bush hog about 10 acres regularly - 2-3 times a year. The land is fairly hilly. The FEL on the old 185 had its weight pretty far out in front, and stability was always a bit of a heart stopper. Now with the 3200 I can just take it off, and everything feels SO much better! Problem was that even with the front tires filled, it was skiddish, trying to make an uphill turn. The weights made all the difference in the world!
I bought a 1X4"X20' hot rolled flat bar, and cut it into 6 - 36" pieces, with 2' change. Since there is about a 7-1/2" gap behind the front bumper weight bar I figured I'd have just room for a 3/8" tab to attach it out front.
After I welded up and mounted the first 4 bars I decided I didn't like the full width- it only gave me about an inch clearance on one side. So I came in a bit narrower going forward (34"). If I had it to do over, I'd probably go for 34" width for all of them. I'm really not sure it matters; I don't think you'd ever get an inch side load on the loader frame at that point. I made the 6th bar shorter yet, so I wouldn't have interference with the hydraulic hose connections. Again, I don't think the loader frame will ever bend back enough for it to be a problem.
I talked to my dealer, and he said the suitcase weights have to come off if you are using the loader - they do interfere with the loader frame. I'm very happy with what I ended up with.
The next time I have the weights off I will paint them dark gray - the exhaust has discolored the left side of the weight bar to about that color anyway. And, they do make a fine bumper. I also didn't like the way the steering linkage was way out in front of the axle.
Thanks for your compliments!

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I just realized that was a link under your reply. Sir, that is some Very Nice work!

Gives me some good ideas. Thanks man!
Wow! Really nice work!

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Yesterday I was rolling an eight hundred pound rock uphill and it came back and smashed the front weight/bumper. Jarred the poop out of me.... If it wasn't for the bumper I'm sure I'd be looking at a pretty good repair bill - it was trying for the steering pump and mechanism.

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
Your approach seems like a very practical and useful one. I will be moving a lot of big rocks about my place, and I plan on adding a bumper like yours. Thanks for a very good idea.