Front tires go flat

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
Got a L2501DT and for the second time a front tire has gone flat for no reason. I had plenty pressure.....42 psig in both. This time the right front was flat when I needed to use the tractor to pull a guy out of the ditch....
anyways...…fed up with it so took 'em both to the shop and had tubes put in. That'll show em !!! ha ha. Bet they won't go flat now.
Cost me $52 but I should be in good shape now.
I wonder if this is a common thing ???:eek:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Rim leak from corrosion between the tire bead and the rim edge. Tube will cure that.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
Blondie is in Mississippi and a L2501DT is a fairly new tractor. What kind of corrosive environment does it take for this to start? I'm in Texas and hoping to not see that kind of problem on my L2501 for decades. Then I would recondition or replace the wheels. What is preventative to this issue? Don't plow snow laced with salt? No problem here.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Blondie is in Mississippi and a L2501DT is a fairly new tractor. What kind of corrosive environment does it take for this to start? I'm in Texas and hoping to not see that kind of problem on my L2501 for decades. Then I would recondition or replace the wheels. What is preventative to this issue? Don't plow snow laced with salt? No problem here.
I was thinking the same thing, looks like his location is far enough off the gulf to worry about salt from the gulf. I have the L series before his 01 series and have had no issues. He looks to be about 200 miles east of me.

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
Got a L2501DT and for the second time a front tire has gone flat for no reason. I had plenty pressure.....42 psig in both. This time the right front was flat when I needed to use the tractor to pull a guy out of the ditch....
anyways...…fed up with it so took 'em both to the shop and had tubes put in. That'll show em !!! ha ha. Bet they won't go flat now.
you can torque the bead loose if you have lots of weight in the bucket or hay prongs turning the front wheels too sharply the bead will break loose and loose air how do I know this ??? ive done it twice

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Any surface rust on the bead area of the rim will cause a leak eventually and that can be a new rim or old rim. You always clean the seating area with a wire brush and then seat the tire. No need to buy new rims, just prep them properly. Same applies to automotive rims, always clean the seat area, especially on alloy rims where 'white rust' will form and cause a bead leak which is much more commonplace than you think it is,

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
We have this issue on the L3901 and the tire place said no rim corrosion, its just the rims commonly leak air. We use tubes or just add air when needed, it is a slow leak

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Could be a porous weld. The center sections are welded to the outer rim section and the outer rim section is butt welded together to make a cylinder. I seriously doubt the welds are Magnafluxed for leakage determination. I believe Titan Wheel makes most of Kubota wheels.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
On my BX24 one day I decided to check all of the tire pressures. Was not having any issues just looking for something to do. What a mistake. The valve in the right front tire failed to seal when I was done. I pulled one out of a tire that I had laying around. Filled the tire and went about my business. A few days later I went to use the tractor and the tire was flat. The tire still leaks. One of these days I will track it down. I should have left well enough alone. :D

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
anyways...***8230;fed up with it so took 'em both to the shop and had tubes put in. That'll show em !!! ha ha. Bet they won't go flat now.
I had the same problem on my left front tire. My right tire has never went flat.

I got some of the new slim that fills up to 1/4" hole and used it. That tire has not gone down since.

Last edited:

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Spray some soapy water on them and watch for bubbles to appear.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I have a new tractor. Not a speck of rust on the rims. No leaks at all until all of a sudden the tire is flat. Did not torque it off, either.
No leaks from the welds. I think I know what caused it......dat ole black magic !!! ha ha ha
Let that magic get thru them tubes then I will be worried.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Blondie70, are you saying that when you got off the tractor the tire would be okay, but when you went to use it the next time it was flat?

I have had my L3901DT for four years now and the only time a front tire went flat was when I ran over a roofing nail after they replaced out roof.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
This will be my luck. I go out to plow snow (if and when we finally get some) and my damn tires will be flat! :eek:

Very odd issue though. My father has a 2004 Grand L.. No leaking front rims whatsoever. Storied in an unheated garage too.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
MD that's what happened. Just flat next time I needed it. When I first got the tractor the left tire did this. The shop wanted to tube it (Kubota was paying) and I should have let them...he finally got it to hold by using some kind of gunk on the beads.
The Rt front tire was never a problem until the other day when it was flat. I aired it up and checked for leaks...found none..
Getting tired of this....I took both off and to the shop. The guy could find no leaks on the one recently flat.
Told them to put tubes in both.
I think maybe the tires have bead areas that are not soft enuf to seal properly. The shop guy was thinking debris getting jammed into the bead area. There was no debris or dirt in there, tho.
Tubes would solve the problem , so tubes were installed.
Pete

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
.42 psig in both.
Your putting way too much pressure in the tires, you could very easily damage the tires.
Depending on the tire you have it's anywhere from 23psi max to 32psi max!

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
For what it’s worth, many BX guys/gals have had issues with front tires losing air, me included. Appeared to be bead leakage.
I put Slime in one. Fixed it, but some aren’t a fan of Slime...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk