Front Mounted Weight Bracket

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Today, I installed the BX8064 weight bracket on the front of my BX22. I mounted a BL8060 55# weight on it, and proceeded to look through my nut and bolt cabinet for a bolt that will hold the weight to the bracket. Kubota makes a BL8062 bolt kit for it, but at $6.00 per kit, and needing 5 of them, I would find a less expensive alternative. After looking over the situation, I can find a bolt that will fit, but the head of the bolt would turn as you were tightening it, which would make for a difficult time if it ever became rusted. I am not certain, but I theorize that the kit has a bolt with a large head that is retained between the sides of the weight, and a thinner shank to go through the hole in the weight bracket. Might someone here have a BL8062 bolt kit that they could take a measurement of the bolt so I can determine if my theory is correct or not. If it is just a standard Metric bolt, then I can probably find it locally for a lot less money than $6 per kit.
If the picture, you can see a SAE bolt with a head that measures 15/16" across the flats or 24 mm. Unfortunately, the shank of the bolt is too large. If I found a Metric bolt that had 24 mm across the flats, the shaft diameter would be 16 mm or 5/8".

PS... should I paint the weights Kubota Orange, or Kubota Grey????

Attachments

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Why can't you use a carriage bolt? The square shank would fit up in the square slot. A bit of anti-seize would keep it from locking with rust.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I just searched the fastenal site found that they still sell square headed bolts in some sizes.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Could you drop a bolt down from the top of the bracket through the slot? Then add a flat washer and a locking nut.

Or cut a piece of bar stock and drill 2 holes to match the holes on the bracket and 2 bolts would hold all the weights.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The simplest and cheapest solution is to drill the holes out to 5/8" and paint weights gray.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
This past year I ordered the bracket and weights for my BX2380. I presumed I would get the bolts with the weights since I was not told any different....wrong.:eek:

This was my solution. I cut some lengths of threaded rod that I had laying around then went to the local hardware where they had large square nuts that I then welded onto the ends of the rod. Total of $2.30 for the nuts and a little mig wire and they work like a champ.

Attachments

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I like the idea.. Thanks .. Did you put a threaded rod through the hole on the weights that ties them all together? I was thinking of using a 5/8" piece of threaded rod.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Today, I installed the BX8064 weight bracket on the front of my BX22. I mounted a BL8060 55# weight on it, and proceeded to look through my nut and bolt cabinet for a bolt that will hold the weight to the bracket. Kubota makes a BL8062 bolt kit for it, but at $6.00 per kit, and needing 5 of them, I would find a less expensive alternative. After looking over the situation, I can find a bolt that will fit, but the head of the bolt would turn as you were tightening it, which would make for a difficult time if it ever became rusted. I am not certain, but I theorize that the kit has a bolt with a large head that is retained between the sides of the weight, and a thinner shank to go through the hole in the weight bracket. Might someone here have a BL8062 bolt kit that they could take a measurement of the bolt so I can determine if my theory is correct or not. If it is just a standard Metric bolt, then I can probably find it locally for a lot less money than $6 per kit.
If the picture, you can see a SAE bolt with a head that measures 15/16" across the flats or 24 mm. Unfortunately, the shank of the bolt is too large. If I found a Metric bolt that had 24 mm across the flats, the shaft diameter would be 16 mm or 5/8".

PS... should I paint the weights Kubota Orange, or Kubota Grey????
The OEM Kubota bolts are standard sized bolts but the nuts are welded to a flat steel plate with flanges to prevent the nuts from turning. Expensive but useful.

Weights are chassis grey.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I like the idea.. Thanks .. Did you put a threaded rod through the hole on the weights that ties them all together? I was thinking of using a 5/8" piece of threaded rod.
Threaded rod is not necessary but does keep the weights properly aligned and helps prevent movement and noise.

I use threaded rods on all of my Kubotas with front weights.

SDT

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
The only time I tie them all together is when I am tilling. That is about the only thing I do that shakes the tractor enough to make the weights rattle.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
That is the only reason that I am installing the weights on the tractor. Picked up a like new tiller last winter from a man that was terminal. I wanted to buy his tractor, but he said that his wife would need it to clear the snow, but the neighbor that helped me load it, said that the wife was afraid of the tractor. He already had a tractor and cleared the snow from his driveway for the last couple years. Should have kept in touch to see what ultimately became of the tractor, but life got in the way, and I forgot about it. He was a machinist and took excellent care of his tools and equipment. Really nice guy that was dealt a bad hand.. Lung cancer.. R.I.P.