Front end loader technique

pfeathers

Equipment
bx25d & box scraper
Dec 28, 2013
Anacortes, WA, USA
I am a new BX25d owner. In the operators manual it say not to use the loader with the bucket in the dumped position to bulldoze. I have read on other sites, the bulldozing or pushing is not good on the cylinders and linkage.

What about scraping or back dragging with the bucket in the dumped position. Is this a bad thing to do or is it a common front end loader technique?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
when you place pressure on the bucket going forward and it hits something hard like a root or concrete, it will try to bend the bucket "under"...
when you backdrag, if you hit something hard it will ride up and skip over ...
hope this makes sense.....
think of a wheel barrow full of concrete, and you run into a root, boom - you are hurting.... but backing over the root - you'll bounce a bit but not hurt parts of the body!:D

I have the piranha tooth bar, it works awesome when backdragging!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Plenty of times I've had the bucket cut edge at about a 45 degree angle to the ground and put enough down pressure to lift the front end up and back drag that way. Been doing it for a while on loaders of various sizes and havent had a problem yet.

I read a few tips and tricks on loader work and back draging in a book years ago called Moving the Earth. It was published by a general land contractor and site engineer back in the 60's. The book is loaded with all kinds of useful info for site work and grading.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I frequently use my loader for bulldozer work as well as back dragging. I use common sense and watch that I am only moving loose material. My loader is not a Kubota model as Kubota Canada was only importing the tractor and mower when I purchased it new in 1985 (at least that is what I was told). After purchasing it I beefed up the end stops on the bucket. There is no issue with the cylinders since when at the end stops they are only along for the ride as they are not bottomed out.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Interesting. Someone who reads the book. Seems like over kill to worry about such things if you have common sense.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Interesting. Someone who reads the book. Seems like over kill to worry about such things if you have common sense.
Knowledge is acquired by reading. Knowledge and common sense are a great combo. Castigating someone for acquiring knowledge is closed-minded. One will never know what one does not know.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Knowledge is acquired by reading. Knowledge and common sense are a great combo. Castigating someone for acquiring knowledge is closed-minded. One will never know what one does not know.
Knowledge is also acquired by experience. There is also always some type of payment made to acquire the knowledge. In reading the cost is the time to read about someone else's experience. In gaining the experience first hand the cost can be anywhere from wasted time and money to death and dismemberment. Common sense would be that reading is the fastest most cost effective way to acquire the knowledge.

The old saying that "ignorance is bliss" does not apply to equipment operation, ignorance is deadly.

KURTEE

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Why beat your brains in trying to figure things out the hard and costly way if you can pick up a book and read from someone else who has years of experiance and has been there and done that.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Eric, I can see by the joy your in your post you are enthused to have found that textbook. Must mean a lot to you, especially with the connection to your father.

I attended community college right of high school in 1969. That school had a two year program for heavy equipment operation. Though I don't know if "Moving the Earth" was a particular text in the curriculum, I'm sure the classroom did use text books. Reading is critical to learning but it seems to be losing importance with the what have you done fore me lately mindset coupled with the ease of repeating sound bites of our youth.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
No greater feeling in this world then beeing a hard headed teenager 14-15 and climbing onto the old mans tractor and showing him up and beating him at his own game of playing in the dirt. The priceless look on his face of me knowing how to operate and gettign something done when he didnt have a clue I had an ounce of knowledge about it.

Even to this day at me being 32 years old he constantly under estimates me and is blown away and dumb founded when he realizes I KNOW how to do something. I think maybe his memory is starting to go a little bit because dad still seems to think I'm in my early 20's.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
No greater feeling in this world then beeing a hard headed teenager 14-15 and climbing onto the old mans tractor and showing him up and beating him at his own game of playing in the dirt. The priceless look on his face of me knowing how to operate and gettign something done when he didnt have a clue I had an ounce of knowledge about it.

Even to this day at me being 32 years old he constantly under estimates me and is blown away and dumb founded when he realizes I KNOW how to do something. I think maybe his memory is starting to go a little bit because dad still seems to think I'm in my early 20's.
Eric, my oldest son is 32... You are mistaking your father's pride in you for him allowing you to show what you know. With all due respect, some day you will understand! Btw, it is really hard to see that little turd who was always breaking things and getting into trouble turn into a responsible adult. Yup you are right you will always be a little boy! Happy New Year.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Eric, my oldest son is 32... You are mistaking your father's pride in you for him allowing you to show what you know. With all due respect, some day you will understand! Btw, it is really hard to see that little turd who was always breaking things and getting into trouble turn into a responsible adult. Yup you are right you will always be a little boy! Happy New Year.
Some interesting points, I have been son, father, grandfather and great grandfather, I take pride in all things my offspring can do and often hop off the tractor and have one of my sons take over as they are better. There is an old saying, in part: "Poor is the pupil who does not surpass his master."

My forty-four year old is still my little boy and in my 60's, my ninety plus year old mom still sees me as her little boy; such is life.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Nawh I'm serious if you ask my dad how old he think I am he'll tell ya I'm 21 or 22. I guess its kinda hard for him to realize the fact I've been looking him eye to eye since I was like 14/15 years old. I guess he see facial hair and thinks I'm atleast no longer a teenager.

And add to the fact I never get his approval on ANYTHING, never heard an "atta boy" or good job son im proud of you. He's an asshole what can I say....

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Nawh I'm serious if you ask my dad how old he think I am he'll tell ya I'm 21 or 22. I guess its kinda hard for him to realize the fact I've been looking him eye to eye since I was like 14/15 years old. I guess he see facial hair and thinks I'm atleast no longer a teenager.

And add to the fact I never get his approval on ANYTHING, never heard an "atta boy" or good job son im proud of you. He's an asshole what can I say....
That's truly a bad situation and one I can identify with; long story. I have a great relationship with my sons and daughters; takes work on the part of all involved and I make sure to compliment them and thank them for their help.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA

Eric, well that's your dad's loss! I can tell just from following your posts on this board that you are very knowledgeable and experienced in many things. Take solace during those times it gets you down of all the great things you can do.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
It is what it is and I undstand its just who he is as a person and a father. He will not change so no need in expecting much from him other then a hard time and alot of grief.

TableRocked

Jun 14, 2013
Lampe, Missouri
Hey guys, thanks for the tip on the book. I just found a 1976 printing (I was 6 years old) on Etsy for only $15 including shipping and ordered it. Granted, I'll have the book ahead of actually owning a tractor, but can't wait to do alot of reading while I save up the cash for my future toy.....