Front End Loader question?

houser52

Equipment
Kubota M7060HD, Kubota L3600, LA680 Loader
Jul 10, 2015
North Carolina
Do any of you attach anything to your FEL to help protect it and keep the arms aligned when you don't have a bucket, forks, etc attached? Something simple and compact like a bumper, brush guard, push bar, trailer mover, etc?

I'd like to make something to go on my LA680 loader while I'm bush hogging and not using the bucket or forks.

Please post a few pics of what you have and give me some suggestions.

Thanks

PS- Yes I've already done an extensive search and looked at all the pics I could find but came up empty.:)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You don't need anything on the loader arms when they are empty, they are more than strong enough, the bucket doesn't do a thing to keep it in alignment, that's all done by it's own structure.
It would be just adding the weight you are trying to get off of it by adding something back on it.
If your that worried about the arms pull the loader off. ;)

houser52

Equipment
Jul 10, 2015
North Carolina
Thanks for the suggestions but,
I have a pin on bucket and forks so nothing is there but the cylinders when something is removed.
I'm not trying to reduce the weight but shorten the tractor's front end as to bush hog a little closer to things without the bucket or forks hooking them if I get too close. I just have the fork's frame, without the forks, on there now and that works ok. Just looking for something a little more compact.

I could remove the loader but really don't want to do that.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
You could just make up a simple plywood board, to knock the weeds down and keep the seeds out of your radiator, but a NIW said, not really needed...:D

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
I'm confused as to why you can't just disconnect the whole loader completely :confused:

Ron

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I'm confused as to why you can't just disconnect the whole loader completely :confused:

Ron

Good question. There would be more clearance without the whole assembly. On the other hand, when I had a bush hog the bucket was very useful in tall weeds. With the bucket 6" or so off the ground it found most of the trash, big rocks, etc before the mower did.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for the suggestions but,
I have a pin on bucket and forks so nothing is there but the cylinders when something is removed.
Houser52,
I think your missing something here, there is a big pipe that connect the 2 loader arms together, that keeps the arms in sync and strong and takes the load, the bucket does not do a thing for strength of the arms. ;)
It's a common misconception that the bucket is actually doing the work.

Attachments

Last edited:

houser52

Equipment
Jul 10, 2015
North Carolina

Here's my loader. Without something attached to the loader, the cylinders that curl the bucket just flops around.

I'm getting a lot of opinions but not really what I was wanting and
I'm not going to remove the loader.

Let's see some loader attachment pics other than bucket or forks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
See a picture is worth a thousand words. :)

Sorry, you said support loader arms, what you meant was that the dump cylinders weren't supported.

Ok now that we cleared that up;

Couple of options:
#1: Do like you have been doing and leave the back of the forks mounted on there.

#2: Make a bar and 2 plates that would hold the cylinders away from the arms of the loader and support them, kind of just like the bucket mounts.

#3: Install a couple sets of Quick disconnects on the dump cylinders and remove them when you remove the bucket or forks.

houser52

Equipment
Jul 10, 2015
North Carolina
Wolfman- Sorry about the parts description mistakes. The plates and bar or something similar will probably be what I'll try to do. I kinda like the idea of something like a skid steer plate with a 2" receiver and chain hooks or something else useful on it.

See if you can find or order a Kubota QA like mine. You would love it.
I searched high and low for one of those adapters. Kubota doesn't make them anymore and dealers don't even know what your talking about. Someone on this site even gave me the correct model and part number for my loader. There's just not out there that I can find so...

I printed off several internet pictures of one like yours and took my bucket to the local welder. He's building me a Kubota style adapter so I can easily switch attachments. I probably could have built my own but without a way to cut the steel and drill the holes I will come out cheaper getting him to build it.