Front counterweight options

cannarella

Equipment
L4310
Mar 6, 2010
Loganville, GA
Out church has a L4310 that I use to cut about 10 acres of pasture we have and up until recently have been borrowing a 5' bush hog. Well we got a good deal on a new 6' landpride bush hog and she is pretty. We don't have a FEL and now I am seeing the weight of the new mower will require some additional weight on the front as it is a bit lighter. That was with the mower suspended while traveling from one area to another.

Any home made remedies out there that work well? I have seen a good application of formed concrete on TBN mounting to a rail on the front. It looks to be the way to go as suitcase weights would be too expensive although ideal. I am thinking 200# would probably solve the problem.

We also picked up a canopy at the same time. I can't wait to get that on so my knees are not burned to a crisp and I don't get beaten down by the sun in the summer.

Thoughts?

Andy

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
The best solution is the correct solution, suitcase weights. Easy to attach, and purchase. Sometimes used is available around dealers. Sometimes they are removed if rusty from a trade in. Check all brands of manufacture as if it fits, it works. Expect about a $1 pound plus a can of spray paint. You could spend close to that trying to cobble something together and not have the ease of use that suitcases give. Now if you have access to heavy steel drops from industrial manufacturing shops that could be different. I just don't see cast concrete weights as an effective alternative. First is cost and then attachment and possible breakage then there's repeat expense.

It just my opinion but, of it's for the church I would think you would want it to look as presentable as possible too. You know, stewardship aspect. Everyone please forgive me if I'm out of line for saying this here.

Now, I would ask what you mean by suspending the cutter for transport to another section. What height are you lifting the whole mower/cutter??

Please feel free to private message me if you would like!!

Kytim

Last edited:

cannarella

Equipment
L4310
Mar 6, 2010
Loganville, GA
When it is lifted the rear drag wheel is pulled up off the ground 4"-6" inches so so and the full weight of the mower is suspended from the 3PT lift. The mower weighs about 740# but most of it is hanging far back obviously instead of close up.

Looks are not that big of a thing. I wonder what brands fit on the front bumper.

Andy

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Have you thought of putting fluid in the front tires? It may not add very much weight but it will be where you need it and it's cheap.

I agree with Kytim though that suit case weights would be the best way to go. When I bought the ones for my 9000 I got the store brand instead of true Kubota weights. Not quite as pretty, a little harder to install, but they were under $80 each for 100# weights.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
YEAH there's just something's you're better off going with OEM or a decent aftermarket on. And I agree with the other's. Proper suitcase weights would be the way to go here. Concrete is going to be a tough weight to judge to ballance out the front end. You'd have to start light and keep working up until you find the right amount of weight, then if you go overboard on weight you have to reduce it some how. Like with a BFH!

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
When it is lifted the rear drag wheel is pulled up off the ground 4"-6" inches so so and the full weight of the mower is suspended from the 3PT lift. The mower weighs about 740# but most of it is hanging far back obviously instead of close up.

Looks are not that big of a thing. I wonder what brands fit on the front bumper.

Andy
Andy, I was concerned that you were lifting the cutter deck a great height as I have seen and heard of others doing. This makes for an unstable machine that has the possibility of rollover if terrain changes. I was just trying to eliminate the chances of someone's injuries as it is often only necessary to lift the deck/brush hog/cutter enough to preclude damage to the substrate. Many times it's just enough to clear the rear wheel an inch or so.

Keep up the good work, kytim

cannarella

Equipment
L4310
Mar 6, 2010
Loganville, GA
Thanks for the replies. I know this tractor had weights in the past. We got it from a guy who used it on a golf course and had to let it go due to the economy downturn. I don't know who owns the property now but he said the weights were left out there. I am going to try and see if I can dig up a name to call to see if they would let me come get them or buy them. Maybe they will give me a deal...

Thought about filling the front tires but I saw a thread somewhere where someone broke a steering knuckle since it requires more force to turn the heaver tires. Thoughts?

Andy