Front Chains on BX

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I’m buying a BX5455HD
There are two versions that fit my tractor that Kubota still makes…the BX5450 (50”) and the BX5455HD (55”) and heavier duty than the 5450. That’s all I know ‘cause I have not seen it…supposed to be assembled on 9/2/21.
My model also comes with the hydraulic chute direction. Still have to adjust the little top deflector by hand.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’m buying a BX5455HD
There are two versions that fit my tractor that Kubota still makes…the BX5450 (50”) and the BX5455HD (55”) and heavier duty than the 5450. That’s all I know ‘cause I have not seen it…supposed to be assembled on 9/2/21.
Stupid question, are you getting the front hitch and mid-PTO to go with it?

The BX54xx blowers have an outboard shoe, much different than my BX2750D.

From what I understand, they were a great improvement over the the BX2750 series.

That's a good thing. I think the shoes alone are a good thing. I had shoes on the front of a JD425 that were much better than the shoes on my Kubota blower.

For what it's worth, you can see the parts diagrams of your blower here, just agree to legal, then put in your BX5455HD model #

Kubota Tractor Corporation - Illustrated Parts List (kubotausa.com)

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Stupid question, are you getting the front hitch and mid-PTO to go with it?

The BX54xx blowers have an outboard shoe, much different than my BX2750D.

From what I understand, they were a great improvement over the the BX2750 series.

That's a good thing. I think the shoes alone are a good thing. I had shoes on the front of a JD425 that were much better than the shoes on my Kubota blower.

For what it's worth, you can see the parts diagrams of your blower here, just agree to legal, then put in your BX5455HD model #

Kubota Tractor Corporation - Illustrated Parts List (kubotausa.com)
Yes, the blower, the subframe and the PTO KIT. The salesman at the dealer sent me the manuals for everything. Thank you for the link though.
I did use one years ago but I don’t recall which model…it belonged to an ex girlfriend that I used to mow and snow blow her “mansion” lol
When you say “shoes” so you mean the skids?

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
When you say “shoes” so you mean the skids?
Super on the complete kit you have coming.

Didn’t want to sound like an ass with my question, but we’ve had folks here that didn’t realize there was other parts needed to hook a front snowblower to the tractor……

Correct, skids and shoes are same things.

Jmsossi

Equipment
Bx1880 bx2830 rck54-23
Oct 8, 2013
Calumet, mi
The photo posted of the GR series tractor with chains Was my old tractor that I had for 8 yrs . Never had any mechanical issues at all. Would not operate in the winter without them ! Hard to steer with out them and have a very steep hill to climb that I would not be able to climb without chains. We get an average of 250” of snow per year.
I now have a bx1880 and use chains on it as well.

Attachments

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Stupid question…which colors on the front loader do what?
I have red, white blue and yellow.
Never bothered to try to find out which ones do what function…

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
9DACBF3C-D943-4EC5-A5AD-58205155BE61.jpeg

W/Y are lift. B/R are curl.

If you look at my W/Y, there are B/R bands below the caps….those correspond to bands on the cylinder on the front hitch.

Put them on 8 years ago….must have came with the hitch.

The hitch side. I don't have hydraulic rotation, so I only use W/Y for lift.

C8F22CB4-A6FE-4FD1-B828-FBF6BDCC0AD1.jpeg

Last edited:

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
View attachment 65292

W/Y are lift. B/R are curl.

If you look at my W/Y, there are B/R bands below the caps….those correspond to bands on the cylinder on the front hitch.

Put them on 8 years ago….must have came with the hitch.

The hitch side. I don't have hydraulic rotation, so I only use W/Y for lift.

View attachment 65293
Thank you! So I can use either blue or red for chute rotation…depending on how I want to stick to correspond. I would imagine I’ll use whichever one turns the chute right when I push the stick right…

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thank you! So I can use either blue or red for chute rotation…depending on how I want to stick to correspond. I would imagine I’ll use whichever one turns the chute right when I push the stick right…
Correct - - B/R are rotation. I don't know B/R or R/B, but manual should help.

But there is "trick"/issue with hydraulic rotation.....I think you have to push the joystick all the way RIGHT, past the detent, to get it to turn in one direction.

There's probably 30+ threads about that here on OTT. I used to be able to find them, but didn't have luck just now. I'm sure they're still out there.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Correct - - B/R are rotation. I don't know B/R or R/B, but manual should help.

But there is "trick"/issue with hydraulic rotation.....I think you have to push the joystick all the way RIGHT, past the detent, to get it to turn in one direction.

There's probably 30+ threads about that here on OTT. I used to be able to find them, but didn't have luck just now. I'm sure they're still out there.
Okay…I guess I’ll figure it out.🙂

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My model also comes with the hydraulic chute direction. Still have to adjust the little top deflector by hand.
A lot of folks have used actuators for deflectors.

In 20 years, I've adjusted my chute deflector twice, maybe three times.

I normally just throw for distance. If you are working in close quarters, deflector adjustment may be more important.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Okay…I guess I’ll figure it out.🙂
There's something about it that's not intuitive. Many guys have had issues with it.

Once they figure out the "trick", they're good to go.

I just remember it's pushing the joystick right, past the quick-dump detent.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
There's something about it that's not intuitive. Many guys have had issues with it.

Once they figure out the "trick", they're good to go.

I just remember it's pushing the joystick right, past the quick-dump detent.
I never know there was a quick dump detent. As far as I know the only detent I have is for float.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I never know there was a quick dump detent. As far as I know the only detent I have is for float.
Me either, but I bet it's there....... 😉

I had to check my own back then...never used it..

D

Deleted member 47704

Has anyone ever considered the metal studs that they put into the tires on motorcycles when they ice race?
They are known as Kold Kutters.
and I think its a great idea.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
So, I contacted this company out of Oregon called GRIP STUDS
Very helpful person on the phone got me dialed in to what I should get for my BX25D.
This is the result of about an hour’s work on my new spare that I will be installing before the snow flies. I purchased a 100 Pack and will stud the other “almost new” front tire when I take the deck off this Fall.
I think they will work out well and they are removable.

Attachments

Oedema

Jan 13, 2024
Canada
So, I contacted this company out of Oregon called GRIP STUDS
Very helpful person on the phone got me dialed in to what I should get for my BX25D.
This is the result of about an hour’s work on my new spare that I will be installing before the snow flies. I purchased a 100 Pack and will stud the other “almost new” front tire when I take the deck off this Fall.
I think they will work out well and they are removable.
How did the Grip Studs end up working for you? I have the same tires and need better traction.