Friggin' Cold - Synthetic Here We Go!

Iowan

Equipment
Kubota's
Apr 29, 2012
North central Iowa
I use Amsoil in my Kubota's, engine's and hydro's, the cold weather performance alone is worth the investment. You have to wait until you have 150 to 200 hrs. on the engine before going to synthetic, then I drop filters (Kubota filters) at 100 hrs. and top of fluids.

I have used synthetics for over twenty years, most of the time I have used Castrol but in the last five I have been using Amsoil products. They have a complete line of lubricants for all my needs including two stroke oil, oil with zinc for flat tappet cams, gear oil, auto trans, rear end gear, diesel, hydro and the best damn grease I have ever used.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If Amsoil so good, how come nobody carries it?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If Amsoil so good, how come nobody carries it?
Amsoil started out a very small private owned company. From the beginning they have depended on private dealers to sell their products. Obviously they have grown over the years but as Amsoil grew so did the sales force of individual dealers.
If Amsoil went to someone like Walmart, just because of volume sold Wally world could sell it cheaper than the private dealers can. So instead of cutting the throats of the dealers who have helped build Amsoil to what it is today they choose to stand behind them and not market to places like Walmart. :p

Just because Walmart doesn't have it on the shelf doesn't mean you don't have a local dealer who would happily sell to you. Even if you don't have anyone local you can order direct from Amsoil. It doesn't get much easier than punching a few buttons on the key board and about 3 or 4 days later your friendly UPS man sets it on your step. :D

It could be like this:
Any product that walmart carries is mass produced and cheaply made. :rolleyes:
I guess it depends on how you choose to look at it.

Iowan

Equipment
Kubota's
Apr 29, 2012
North central Iowa
Our local Fleet Farm sells some of Amsoil's products, oil for diesel's, two stroke's, and marine two stroke's and late model gas cars and trucks.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I use Amsoil in my Kubota's, engine's and hydro's, the cold weather performance alone is worth the investment. You have to wait until you have 150 to 200 hrs. on the engine before going to synthetic, then I drop filters (Kubota filters) at 100 hrs. and top of fluids.

I have used synthetics for over twenty years, most of the time I have used Castrol but in the last five I have been using Amsoil products. They have a complete line of lubricants for all my needs including two stroke oil, oil with zinc for flat tappet cams, gear oil, auto trans, rear end gear, diesel, hydro and the best damn grease I have ever used.
Important point, and for the life of me, not sure why - need to go some hours before the switch to synthetic.

For that reason, I haven't done synthetic oil already. Only 50 hours or so on it. By next winter, I'll be close enough.

My Harley came the same way - run it 1,500 miles(?) or more before a switch to synthetic.

I've also worked under the impression that after using synthetic, DO NOT go back to conventional. If true, when buying a used tractor, important to know if synthetic is in it.

Iowan

Equipment
Kubota's
Apr 29, 2012
North central Iowa
Important point, and for the life of me, not sure why - need to go some hours before the switch to synthetic.

For that reason, I haven't done synthetic oil already. Only 50 hours or so on it. By next winter, I'll be close enough.

My Harley came the same way - run it 1,500 miles(?) or more before a switch to synthetic.

I've also worked under the impression that after using synthetic, DO NOT go back to conventional. If true, when buying a used tractor, important to know if synthetic is in it.
The rings have got to seat before you switch or they never will!

Yes you can go back to conventional oil after synthetic.

I run new vehicles 5,000 miles before synthetic.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The rings have got to seat before you switch or they never will!
I'm not asking this to be a smart ass, so please don't take it that way. I would really like to know the answer.

If what you said is true, do the vehicles that are factory filled with synthetic lubricants get broken in on conventional oil, then drained and refilled with synthetic before they leave the factory?

Iowan

Equipment
Kubota's
Apr 29, 2012
North central Iowa
I'm not asking this to be a smart ass, so please don't take it that way. I would really like to know the answer.

If what you said is true, do the vehicles that are factory filled with synthetic lubricants get broken in on conventional oil, then drained and refilled with synthetic before they leave the factory?
I'm not aware that new vehicles are leaving the factory with anything other than conventional break in oil in the crankcase, if they do I'd like to hear about it.

The two dealers I use for Amsoil are engine builders, one builds my Mopar motors (540 hp., 653 hp.) and the other my Ford 289 (445 hp.) these were all broke in on the dyno with Joe Gibb's conventional break in oil. It's my understanding that ring seat depends on friction between the ring and cylinder wall to conform the two to each other, and that synthetics don't allow this to happen (just to damn slippery). I just looked on Amsoil's website and their break in oil appears to be conventional also, so Bulldog I'd say call your rep and have a conversation with him on engine break in and the products you sell.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/racing/break-in-oil-(sae-30)/?code=BRKQT-EA

I get my information from the real world, not the company whose product I'm selling, so there's no propaganda or hype here just what works for me. I don't sell it and don't care if you buy it, but it WILL help you start your tractor @-20F and give it better chance at a long life.

I have only had the need for tractors for about three years but for the last thirty five trips around the sun I've been building performance cars, mostly street/strip or full on drag cars. In all of the engines I've owned, built or had built I have never had an oil related failure.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
This might interest you then.

CHOSEN BY LEADING MANUFACTURERS

These Vehicles Leave the Factory Filled with Mobil 1

Factory Filled with Mobil 1™ Oil
Select OneChevrolet CorvetteMercedes AMGPorscheMore Makes and Models

Chevrolet Corvette
With a factory fill relationship that began in 1993, today Mobil 1™ synthetic motor oil is in 2013 Corvette Z06, ZR1 and Grand Sport Coupe sports cars.

Mercedes AMG
Expertise in motorsports powers these luxury sports cars into a breed synonymous with power and performance. These models today leave the factory filled with Mobil 1™ synthetic oil:

E, CLS, ML, S, SL, R 63 AMG
C, CL, CLK 63 AMG
CL, S, SL 65 AMG
SLK, G 55 AMG (M113)
SL 65 AMG Black Series (M285)

Porsche
Mobil 1™ 0W-40 synthetic oil has been a factory and recommended service fill for Porsche engines since 1996. Current models include:

911 Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera Cabriolet, Carrera S Cabriolet, Turbo, Turbo Cabriolet
911 GT2 and GT3
Boxster and Boxster S
Cayenne, Cayenne S, Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S
Cayman and Cayman S
Panamera, Panamera S, Panamera GTS, Panamera Turbo, Panamera Turbo S

More Makes and Models
In addition to being in these performance vehicles, Mobil 1™ synthetic oil is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:

Aston Martin DB9, DB9 Volante, Rapide S, V12 Vantage Coupe and Roadster, V12 Zagato and Vanquish
Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Continental GT, Continental GTC and Mulsanne
COPO Camaro
McLaren MP4-12C
Nissan GT-R

© Copyright 2005-2014 Exxon Mobil Corporation. All Rights Reserved. ExxonMobil Home | Site Map | Contact Us | Privacy | Legal