Four point hitch vs SSQA on BX23S

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I recently acquired a BX23S and am starting to think about snow removal. Before I get into the pros and cons of plow versus blower, I want to understand how these get mounted to the tractor. I'm a bit confused.

My front-end loader has the SSQA option, but I read somewhere that the FEL arms aren't designed to take lateral loads, so putting an SSQA plow on the FEL arms wouldn't be a good idea.

My understanding is that the Kubota snow blowers fit onto their "four point hitch" and are driven by the K-Connect PTO system. Correct?
Question: is this "four point hitch" some sort of industry standard or is it specific to Kubota?

Are there other options for mounting snow removal equipment to the front of the tractor? For example, is there an SSQA adapter that mounts to the tractor frame that's designed to take lateral loads? Or plows & blowers that come with the hardware to mount to the front of the BX?

Thanks in advance

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I'm quite certain the four point k-connect system is specific to this model/models Kubota only.
Not an industry standard.
Both the plow and the blower that fit to the BX 23S both utilize the 4 point k-connect system.
Besides the bucket, I have not seen any other snow removal equipment specific to this model.
In fact, it took me some time to find the Kubota brand plow for this model, I don't think there are any other 4-point / k connect plows that are made.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I'm quite certain the four point k-connect system is specific to this model/models Kubota only. Not an industry standard.
Both the plow and the blower that fit to the BX 23S both utilize the 4 point k-connect system.
Besides the bucket, I have not seen any other snow removal equipment specific to this model.
In fact, it took me some time to find the Kubota brand plow for this model, I don't think there are any other 4-point / k connect plows that are made.
This is helpful as it gives me an anchor point for when I start exploring this more carefully. Thank you.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I recently acquired a BX23S and am starting to think about snow removal. Before I get into the pros and cons of plow versus blower, I want to understand how these get mounted to the tractor. I'm a bit confused.

My front-end loader has the SSQA option, but I read somewhere that the FEL arms aren't designed to take lateral loads, so putting an SSQA plow on the FEL arms wouldn't be a good idea.

My understanding is that the Kubota snow blowers fit onto their "four point hitch" and are driven by the K-Connect PTO system. Correct?
Question: is this "four point hitch" some sort of industry standard or is it specific to Kubota?

Are there other options for mounting snow removal equipment to the front of the tractor? For example, is there an SSQA adapter that mounts to the tractor frame that's designed to take lateral loads? Or plows & blowers that come with the hardware to mount to the front of the BX?

Thanks in advance
The K Connect is a proprietary mounting system of Kubota. You can also get an SSQA snowplow from Kubota and other manufacturers. The picture below shows a B2672 60" snow blade with a power angle mounted on my BX23S. I have both the SSQA and the K Connect snowplows and a K Connect snowblower.

snowplow.JPG
snowplow2.JPG

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
The K-mount 4 pt. system allows quick and effortless change between front mounted blower, power angle plow or broom. As well you can dismount the K drive from the tractor in less than 5 minutes thus allowing re installation of the fel. The whole set up is really great and is designed for both the BX and more and more compact models.

Reactions: 1 user

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
The K Connect is a proprietary mounting system of Kubota. You can also get an SSQA snowplow from Kubota and other manufacturers. The picture below shows a B2672 60" snow blade with a power angle mounted on my BX23S. I have both the SSQA and the K Connect snowplows and a K Connect snowblower.
Hi Dusty. Have you ever had a situation where you get concerned about how the FEL arms are loaded when using the SSQA snowplow? If you were going to just have a snowplow, would you pick the SSQA version or the K Connect, and why?

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
The K-mount 4 pt. system allows quick and effortless change between front mounted blower, power angle plow or broom. As well you can dismount the K drive from the tractor in less than 5 minutes thus allowing re installation of the fel. The whole set up is really great and is designed for both the BX and more and more compact models.
Thanks for the info. It's too bad the "4 pt" system didn't use an SSQA attachment mechanism instead of a Kubota proprietary. Don't know if that would have been feasible.

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Thanks for the info. It's too bad the "4 pt" system didn't use an SSQA attachment mechanism instead of a Kubota proprietary. Don't know if that would have been feasible.
Th 4 point mount mounts in a similar fashion as the SSQA. You drive up to the implement, raise the lift putting pins into the hooks on the implement . Once raised you release the spring loaded lock pins. No different than putting an implement on with the SSQA.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Since you have SSQA, you might consider an SSQA 'snow pusher' or a 'selfpowered snowblower'.
A lot depends on how much snow you get and WHERE you can get rid of it.
I like a snowblower setup as it gets the white, far far away. A pusher is like a plow, just doesn't angle.
While the K4 system looks nice, swapping between the 2 looks like a young man's job...and of course there's the cost, something to consider.
While a store bought SPSnowblower is pricey, you can bodge one for less than $1000, mine was around $500.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Since you have SSQA, you might consider an SSQA 'snow pusher' or a 'selfpowered snowblower'.
A lot depends on how much snow you get and WHERE you can get rid of it.
I like a snowblower setup as it gets the white, far far away. A pusher is like a plow, just doesn't angle.
While the K4 system looks nice, swapping between the 2 looks like a young man's job...and of course there's the cost, something to consider.
While a store bought SPSnowblower is pricey, you can bodge one for less than $1000, mine was around $500.
Yeah, now we're getting into the real meat of the discussion, which is a repurposing of this thread, but was the subject I eventually want to get to...which is what is the right snow removal device for my situation. It would be a blower or a plow, but probably not a pusher (thanks for the definition ... I've heard the term but didn't realize they don't angle). I priced a fully-optioned Kubota K4 snow blower and it was $9,500 out the door. Probably out of my league. But I also like the idea of getting the snow far away.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Hi Dusty. Have you ever had a situation where you get concerned about how the FEL arms are loaded when using the SSQA snowplow? If you were going to just have a snowplow, would you pick the SSQA version or the K Connect, and why?
Personally, I like the K Connect a lot because it is easy and fast. I spend a lot of time moving snow, and most times after I blow the snow I have to finish up with the blade. I have to have the driveway just about down to blacktop to keep the wife happy. She had one accident on a snow-covered highway that was banked, and a tractor-trailer started to skid sideways and her little Toyota wound up under the trailer between the tractor and the trailer wheels. That was 35 years ago, and she still is afraid of snow. That is the reason I have both systems. I don't want to be removing and reinstalling the K Connect to change from blade to snowblower, and I don't want the snowblower on early or late in the season either. This is where the SSQA snowplow comes into play. I can push the snow off to the side of the driveway knowing that warm weather will melt the snow and it will not be a long-term problem with a frozen mound of snow making the driveway narrower with every storm. I have never seen a problem with the arms not being able to handle the pressure of the snow either.
If you look at the first picture above, on the backside, you will see that the snow blade has locks (small silver devices that are held in place with a silver pin) in place so you can use the blade like a bulldozer in the dirt. If Kubota thought that this might damage the arms of the loader they wouldn't sell it for a dirt blade. I wouldn't be worried about damaging the loader unless you try to use it as a battering ram. Common sense is a requirement of tractor operation. I have always believed that you use the right tool for the job and using common sense will get the job done.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Personally, I like the K Connect a lot because it is easy and fast. I spend a lot of time moving snow, and most times after I blow the snow I have to finish up with the blade. I have to have the driveway just about down to blacktop to keep the wife happy. She had one accident on a snow-covered highway that was banked, and a tractor-trailer started to skid sideways and her little Toyota wound up under the trailer between the tractor and the trailer wheels. That was 35 years ago, and she still is afraid of snow. That is the reason I have both systems. I don't want to be removing and reinstalling the K Connect to change from blade to snowblower, and I don't want the snowblower on early or late in the season either. This is where the SSQA snowplow comes into play. I can push the snow off to the side of the driveway knowing that warm weather will melt the snow and it will not be a long-term problem with a frozen mound of snow making the driveway narrower with every storm. I have never seen a problem with the arms not being able to handle the pressure of the snow either.
If you look at the first picture above, on the backside, you will see that the snow blade has locks (small silver devices that are held in place with a silver pin) in place so you can use the blade like a bulldozer in the dirt. If Kubota thought that this might damage the arms of the loader they wouldn't sell it for a dirt blade. I wouldn't be worried about damaging the loader unless you try to use it as a battering ram. Common sense is a requirement of tractor operation. I have always believed that you use the right tool for the job and using common sense will get the job done.
Thanks Dusty. This is really helpful. I just had a facepalm moment ... yeah, I think if Kubota is selling an FEL-mounted snow plow then probably it's ok.

I feel compelled to acknowledge your wife's accident and the long-term emotional impact of it. That sounds terrifying and I can see why 35 years later she is still affected. My hat is off to you for doing what you do.

My driveway is gravel and the road is compacted asphalt grindings. I want to be able to clear my own driveway but also have the option of taking care of the road. I don't have to get it bare. We have had, and continue to have, our roads plowed with truck-mounted plows. Recently a guy came through with a skid-steer mounted snow blower. I liked it but it seems slow compared to a plow. But there's a certain cleanliness that I truly appreciate. However, it's a lot of money and we typically don't get that much snow, so it would be hard to justify the price of a front-mounted snowblower unless I end up with enough money I just say screw it this is what I want.

Having said that, do you have any thoughts on plow vs blower on non-paved surfaces? I'm sure this has been asked and answered on this forum but I haven't looked yet.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Thanks Dusty. This is really helpful. I just had a facepalm moment ... yeah, I think if Kubota is selling an FEL-mounted snow plow then probably it's ok.

I feel compelled to acknowledge your wife's accident and the long-term emotional impact of it. That sounds terrifying and I can see why 35 years later she is still affected. My hat is off to you for doing what you do.

My driveway is gravel and the road is compacted asphalt grindings. I want to be able to clear my own driveway but also have the option of taking care of the road. I don't have to get it bare. We have had, and continue to have, our roads plowed with truck-mounted plows. Recently a guy came through with a skid-steer mounted snow blower. I liked it but it seems slow compared to a plow. But there's a certain cleanliness that I truly appreciate. However, it's a lot of money and we typically don't get that much snow, so it would be hard to justify the price of a front-mounted snowblower unless I end up with enough money I just say screw it this is what I want.

Having said that, do you have any thoughts on plow vs blower on non-paved surfaces? I'm sure this has been asked and answered on this forum but I haven't looked yet.
Snowblowers blow snow and small rocks and pebbles. Plows just push them to the sides. Before the driveway was paved, I used a truck-mounted plow to clear the snow. Once the driveway was cleared, I raised the plow a couple of inches, and cut the top of the pile off and it went into the field on both sides. If you don't do this, the road will start to get narrower with each snowfall. For your purposes, I believe that the best tool for the job is the SSQA snowplow, with a weight box on the rear, and loaded tires with chains.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Snowblowers blow snow and small rocks and pebbles. Plows just push them to the sides. Before the driveway was paved, I used a truck-mounted plow to clear the snow. Once the driveway was cleared, I raised the plow a couple of inches, and cut the top of the pile off and it went into the field on both sides. If you don't do this, the road will start to get narrower with each snowfall. For your purposes, I believe that the best tool for the job is the SSQA snowplow, with a weight box on the rear, and loaded tires with chains.
Ok, my brain is starting to get mushy ... I've been reading this other thread you posted on. I think I will restart that thread since it's specifically about BX23S snow plows.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I priced a fully-optioned Kubota K4 snow blower and it was $9,500 out the door.

yeesh that's a LOT of green to move white ! If that's just for the blower and doesn't include the K4 system, have a look at SSQA blowers, BERCOMAC offer a few, selfpowered SSQA, +-$6500. What does the K4 system cost ? Then there's the need for another garage to store whatever's not on the BX23S. Mine's never had loader or BH off...no room to store it....

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
I, too am lucky enough to have both the 55" commercial Blower and the 60" power angle plow, both on the K Drive system. Plowing 3600 sq ft of driveway when there is only a few inches of snow is at least twice as fast as blowing it. The blower can't be beat when you have 6" or better or heavy wet "snow ball" type snow. Nice to plow it up to the edges and then have the option of getting rid of the snow banks. I like using the plow if I can as it is obviously much quicker, and saves wear and tear on the blower which has a lot of moving parts. Fuel usage is vastly less plowing vs. blowing. I plow at about 1800 rpm as opposed to 3000 when blowing.

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada

I use both on my driveway and yard. Driveway is half paved and half millings, and the yard is obviously grass.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
re: I priced a fully-optioned Kubota K4 snow blower and it was $9,500 out the door.

yeesh that's a LOT of green to move white ! If that's just for the blower and doesn't include the K4 system, have a look at SSQA blowers, BERCOMAC offer a few, selfpowered SSQA, +-$6500. What does the K4 system cost ? Then there's the need for another garage to store whatever's not on the BX23S. Mine's never had loader or BH off...no room to store it....
When you start talking dollars on a forum that services many different countries, you must be sure to refer to the dollars as Canadian dollars vs. US dollars. The exchange rate varies widely on a daily basis.
What is $100 Canadian in US dollars?
Quick Conversions from Canadian Dollar to United States Dollar : 1 CAD = 0.78128 USD

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Ok, my brain is starting to get mushy ... I've been reading this other thread you posted on. I think I will restart that thread since it's specifically about BX23S snow plows.
I made that post 1 day shy of a year ago. Last spring I sold the BX22 and purchased a BX23S. When discussing snowplows (blades) you have to be specific as to the model number and the tractor it is installed on, along with the type of attachment to the tractor.
My comment about bending the arms is if you should hit an immovable object such as a boulder. The faster the tractor is moving, the harder they hit and the greater the chance of damage. The same principle applies to your car and hitting that same boulder. Use caution and know your surroundings and you will be safe. A neighbor parked his tractor on a slight incline and forgot to set the brake. It rolled down the hill and hit a tree. The bucket was severely damaged, but the arms appear to be fine. Only after the bucket is repaired or replaced will we know exactly how fine the arms are. If that had been his car, it probably would have been totaled.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
When you start talking dollars on a forum that services many different countries, you must be sure to refer to the dollars as Canadian dollars vs. US dollars. The exchange rate varies widely on a daily basis.
What is $100 Canadian in US dollars?
Quick Conversions from Canadian Dollar to United States Dollar : 1 CAD = 0.78128 USD
My mistake ... that was around $9,500 US. It included both the 4 point hitch and the k-connect, plus a bunch of options.

Attachments