Foul Weather Shelter

Velosprints

Equipment
B2920
Jul 16, 2018
Augusta, WV
Hey folks, sorry if this thread is in the wrong area.

It rained all day today. All. Day. All I could think about was my tractor up on my lot getting all wet, and it made me sad. Eventually, I will build a pole barn for my baby and her implements, but for now, I’m looking for a *cheap* shelter that can stand up to rain, wind and the occasional snow. I’ve visited the shelterlogic website, and the reviews were mixed. Does anyone else have suggestions on a durable quick-to-assemble shelter?

Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've yet to find a quick one that will hold up to our summer weather, winter weather here, yea aint going to happen, winter here will kill any portable quick shelter in one storm! ;)

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
A quick and dirty stick built metal roof "shelter" can be built in a day (or two)

Put the "sills" on pavers or concrete blocks. Or just PT

2 foot centers, 2x6 studs, same for the plate, rafters and joists.

A few perlins to fasten the metal to, and you are golden.

Bracing can be 1X4 or plywood, if you feel walls are needed. I don't.

No more expensive than chi-com garbage shelters, and will last many years.

I've got one my tractor sits in ... ;-)

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
conex container

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You might not have to worry, an untended tractor with stuff left all alone,,, just sayin,, thieves are everywhere and tractors and stuff move real free on CL and other sites even by word of mouth, after they are lost. I really do hope you did something to secure her!

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
Probably a bit more permanent than you were planning (and more expensive) but VersaTube buildings are interesting to me. I was looking at building one for my aunt, the price was a bit much for her but I'm thinking of building on for a garage some day.

Velosprints

Equipment
B2920
Jul 16, 2018
Augusta, WV
You might not have to worry, an untended tractor with stuff left all alone,,, just sayin,, thieves are everywhere and tractors and stuff move real free on CL and other sites even by word of mouth, after they are lost. I really do hope you did something to secure her!
I am always trying to figure out new ways to secure the tractor. Fortunately, it is hidden relatively well from view of the street out front. The street isn't traveled much as we live in a pretty rural area. On the other hand, I was reading that someone would leave a bad main fuse in their tractor to defeat a more rookie passerby thief from driving off with it. Can someone explain to me where that fuse may be located on my B2920? I know that it isn't a substitute for locking the tractor in a secure building, but I have to work with what I have at the moment.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I built a shop from greenhouse tubing and a garage with greenhouse trusses. Around here, every spring you can buy twisted greenhouses for cheap because folks don't leave on heat and they collapse due to snow load (for the gutter connect style), or the plastic was un-inflated due to power outage and the snow load or wind wrecked them. The nice thing about these systems is that they are steel, bolt together, and are modular/customizable to the length you need - you may also be able to customize width for some. If you buy 100ft of wrecked greenhouse, you might end up with 30 or 40ft of usable material and the rest goes to the scrap dealer.

I know a guy locally that had a contract from an insurance company to demo a commercial greenhouse facility after a storm destroyed it. He's still got tons of 20ft wide steel greenhouse trusses that he sells off for $15 per.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I bought a 10x20 shelter from Harbor Freight 4 years ago. It survived a pine tree and multiple tropical storms. The most recent tropical storm Gordon tore the canopy. For a $100 it sure last much longer then I thought it would,