Ford 1300. Need some serious help.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
A friend of mine from church bought a 1979 Ford 1300 tractor, 4WD, 770 loader, 600 hours. It was owned by his brother in law, and he only used it for very light loader work and snow removal. He never used the 3 point or PTO.
My friend, Johnny, bought the tractor from him last Summer. I hauled it for him, and helped him service it. Cosmetically it shows its age, but it is otherwise in good shape. We changed the fluids, serviced the hydraulic filter, and replaced the loader valve.
About a month ago, Johnny was using it to till his garden. One minute all was well, the next the tiller was on the ground. 3 point wouldn't raise. Loader still worked fine.
Fast forward to yesterday. It took a little while to source a new ring for the lift cylinder, but I found one and we replaced it. I suspected that it wouldn't be the sole issue, because the 3 point would do absolutely zero. Even if the ring was bad, it would attempt to lift the arms, but there was nothing.
I pulled the cylinder and removed the piston. The ring was still intact, but it was either worn down or shrunk- it was marginally smaller than the bore of the piston. It was super brittle, and easy to remove. Once everything was cleaned up, I installed the new ring and put the cylinder back in. No difference. All of this time, the loader still works as normal.
I pulled and checked the relief valves for the 3 point and the loader block, just because. They were fine.
Here's where I'm held up now. As far as I understand it, the only components left could be the unload valve, or possibly the 3 point hydraulic valve. I'm finding it very hard to unearth information on the 1300 or the 1500 (which is set up the same), specifically where the unload valve is located. I'm assuming that it is inside the top 3 point hitch case, which we'll need to remove from the axle to get to. Can anyone confirm or at least point me in a direction? I would imagine that most tractors operate similarily, so maybe general information will be sufficient.
Short of buying a $100+ WSM, I'm at a lose. There is a real drought of information on these tractors.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A friend of mine from church bought a 1979 Ford 1300 tractor, 4WD, 770 loader, 600 hours. It was owned by his brother in law, and he only used it for very light loader work and snow removal. He never used the 3 point or PTO.
My friend, Johnny, bought the tractor from him last Summer. I hauled it for him, and helped him service it. Cosmetically it shows its age, but it is otherwise in good shape. We changed the fluids, serviced the hydraulic filter, and replaced the loader valve.
About a month ago, Johnny was using it to till his garden. One minute all was well, the next the tiller was on the ground. 3 point wouldn't raise. Loader still worked fine.
Fast forward to yesterday. It took a little while to source a new ring for the lift cylinder, but I found one and we replaced it. I suspected that it wouldn't be the sole issue, because the 3 point would do absolutely zero. Even if the ring was bad, it would attempt to lift the arms, but there was nothing.
I pulled the cylinder and removed the piston. The ring was still intact, but it was either worn down or shrunk- it was marginally smaller than the bore of the piston. It was super brittle, and easy to remove. Once everything was cleaned up, I installed the new ring and put the cylinder back in. No difference. All of this time, the loader still works as normal.
I pulled and checked the relief valves for the 3 point and the loader block, just because. They were fine.
Here's where I'm held up now. As far as I understand it, the only components left could be the unload valve, or possibly the 3 point hydraulic valve. I'm finding it very hard to unearth information on the 1300 or the 1500 (which is set up the same), specifically where the unload valve is located. I'm assuming that it is inside the top 3 point hitch case, which we'll need to remove from the axle to get to. Can anyone confirm or at least point me in a direction? I would imagine that most tractors operate similarily, so maybe general information will be sufficient.
Short of buying a $100+ WSM, I'm at a lose. There is a real drought of information on these tractors.
Another good source for the information you need would be over on Tractorbynet.
I have a 1989 Ford 1920, (same family) and will look through my WSM.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Another good source for the information you need would be over on Tractorbynet.
I have a 1989 Ford 1920, (same family) and will look through my WSM.
I've posted at TBN, as well as Yesterday's Tractor.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
You've saved the day! Thank you so much!
Interesting- Johnny just called to report that the 3 point is working again. That's a confirmation that the unload valve is sticking (and unstuck today), and is the culprit. He'll keep using it, and we'll pull the top off if it sticks again.