FNG - bought an L275DT today

midgetfarms

Equipment
L275DT
Feb 14, 2015
Peoria IL,
4 degrees outside today & my Uncle decides to go buy a 1983 Kubota L275DT today!

Long story here - but I'm the mechanic - My uncle bought 35 acres for hunting (he's retired & been saving his entire life). I saw this tractor on a bulletin board at work & today we took a look.

First impression - it was WAY too much tractor for the price. If my uncle hadn't bought it I would have.

So we drug it home (my home) so I can clean it up & do the maintenance before he drags it down to Missouri for spring mowing season.

Starts easy - even in this crazy cold - has a brand new (12/14) battery and a new seat I need to install.

Here is my list of things to fix (so far) - I will be able to manage most of this myself - but will definitely need help with some.

1) Key is broken off in the ignition switch
2) fuel injector return lines are shot & leak (yuck)
3) head lights don't turn on
4) replace the seat
5) connection at the starter needs to be repaired
6) adjust the clutch engagement point
7) fluids & filters

That's it - starts easy - shifts easy - 4x4 works hi & low
Power steering is good, tires are good etc etc etc.

It came with a grader blade and a drag bucket - no mower though, need to find one of those.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Looks like it could use a muffler too before water in the exhaust destroys the motor. ;)

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the forum. You didn't specify what he paid for it but it looks in fair shape for one that old. How many hours on it?

I have a sister that lives in Dunlap and one in Pekin.

Teese

Equipment
B20
Jul 19, 2013
Lynden, WA
One thrifty answer to the stubby muffler could be what I did when I got my new (to me) B20 that looked mighty similar under its tin can tophat ... I ground the ragged muffler top down to a solid ring, welded on a suitably sized [black] IP coupling (I found one in the bin with smooth sides), and clamped on an exhaust pipe over that. I didn't like the Kubota exhaust pipe price, so I had my local muffler shop bend a cutoff pile chunk to an ell 30" up ... a slice through the ell at an angle left easy exhaust flow while still shielding from rain intrusion (and, yes, it was dutifully aimed forward and not at the FEL hydraulic lines passing so close by). A coat of high heat paint on the entire assembly made it all look pretty good!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
One thrifty answer to the stubby muffler could be what I did when I got my new (to me) B20 that looked mighty similar under its tin can tophat ... I ground the ragged muffler top down to a solid ring, welded on a suitably sized [black] IP coupling (I found one in the bin with smooth sides), and clamped on an exhaust pipe over that. I didn't like the Kubota exhaust pipe price, so I had my local muffler shop bend a cutoff pile chunk to an ell 30" up ... a slice through the ell at an angle left easy exhaust flow while still shielding from rain intrusion (and, yes, it was dutifully aimed forward and not at the FEL hydraulic lines passing so close by). A coat of high heat paint on the entire assembly made it all look pretty good!
IP? different places different lingo so I suspect your IP is not Injection Pump like mine.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Should work fine for mowing, etc.
I'm within 50 miles of peoria and yeah, it's too damn cold here.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
If it is like my L275, the 90 that goes from the muffler to the exhaust manifold has a whole at the lowest point that allows water to drain out.

Oh, the can over the exhaust also is a big help - or adding a flapper.:)

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Looks like a nice one! I would not sweat the exhaust, mine also has a hole in the manifold but I welded an elbow onto the top anyway. Give yours a look.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I welded a pipe(2-1/2") to the top of the muffler. Has a little rumble to it now. Couldnt make it tall as i wanted-had to clear the hoist. I raise it and drive in under it. Guess i havent taken a picture yet.

Nice looking machine, a little tlc and it should serve you well.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I welded a pipe(2-1/2") to the top of the muffler. Has a little rumble to it now. Couldnt make it tall as i wanted-had to clear the hoist. I raise it and drive in under it. Guess i havent taken a picture yet. Looks like a mini stack.

Nice looking machine, a little tlc and it should serve you well.