Flat Face Coupler

SusanDuffy

Equipment
B2601
Apr 8, 2022
Bremerton, Washington
Trying to hook up a grapple to my B2601. I’m unable to hook up the Safe Flat Face Coupler. There must be a trick, and I’m doing it wrong. Please help. Thank you

dclauria

Equipment
Kubota L4060HSTC, L4479 snowblower, EA 60" grapple, LP GS2584, LP BB2572
Jan 1, 2022
Northern Michigan
Same here - New grapple with flat face couplers
Extreme amount of force required to get one of them inserted.
I tried the engine off - key on - relieve hydraulic pressure trick, but I'm not sure it works with the electric Kubota 3rd function valve?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Trying to hook up a grapple to my B2601. I’m unable to hook up the Safe Flat Face Coupler. There must be a trick, and I’m doing it wrong. Please help. Thank you
My grapple came with flat face couplers.
I have arthritic hands, and could not work the flat face couplers.
Took them off, and replaced with Pioneer style couplers.
Much easier to use!

I also modified a pair of welder Visegrips to hold the pioneer female coupler open, making the process very easy.
That idea came from a fellow OTT poster.
Sorry...I do not have pictures.

Last edited:

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Are you relieving the pressure from the lines first?
Are you relieving the pressure on the tractor lines AND on the attachment lines?

I made a pair of these to plug into my grapple to bleed off any built up pressure in the lines
20210404_162437.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I have Summit hydraulics branded flat face couplers on mine and with the pressure relived on both sides of the lines. Both the tractor side and attachment side I find them easier to connect than the pioneer ones on the rear remotes. The only issue I have ever had is the female coupler sleeve has a lock that you have to line up to be able to slide it back to disconnect. It has no effect for coupling them.

Reactions: 1 users

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Credit Dusty Rusty from the last time this was discussed (there is another recent thread as well):

I experienced the same problem today, and I moved the loader stick in all 4 directions with the engine off, and the ignition on. Then I activated both buttons on the 3rd function valve, again with the engine off. This released all pressures in the system, adn the flat faced couplers went together without any issues.

Reactions: 4 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Credit Dusty Rusty from the last time this was discussed (there is another recent thread as well):

I experienced the same problem today, and I moved the loader stick in all 4 directions with the engine off, and the ignition on. Then I activated both buttons on the 3rd function valve, again with the engine off. This released all pressures in the system, and the flat-faced couplers went together without any issues.
Dang, we both have the same tractor, we are both in MA (actually I am in CT right on the border of MA 1/2 miles away) and we both have the same first name. Could it be that we are brothers by different parents? LOL. :)

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Yes an implement unhooked from the system will build pressure if it wasn't relieved before being disconnected and grapple should be closed all the way! If not it will relax close up and build pressure. If you still cant hook up you can burp the fitting by loosening and relieving pressure or push the center of the flat face coupler with a proper size socket. If you unhook properly theres no need to burp the fitting!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
You have to relieve pressure on the tractor AND implement.

If you leave you implement outside in the sunshine you will have to relieve the pressure built up due to thermal expansion.

Reactions: 2 users

SusanDuffy

Equipment
B2601
Apr 8, 2022
Bremerton, Washington
I have tried everything mentioned here. I hear it clicking and the hose feels like the pressure is off of it. But, I’m not able to get the couplers to connect. Is there anything I should be doing with the little ball that lines up with the pin on the sleeve?

I do appreciate your help. Thank you

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If all else fails, remove the coupler from the hose and try it on the tractor. That will determine if it is the tractor or something else. It will also release any pent-up pressure in the lines. I used to do this with my old BX22, because it was the fastest way to release hose pressure.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I have tried everything mentioned here. I hear it clicking and the hose feels like the pressure is off of it. But, I’m not able to get the couplers to connect. Is there anything I should be doing with the little ball that lines up with the pin on the sleeve?

I do appreciate your help. Thank you
If the pressure truly is relieved on both ends of the connector then you have an operator problem and need to
1) hold the connector so that it is concentric to the receiving end
2) have eaten your wheaties in the morning and be able to push the connectors together

My tractor front remotes are electrical. To relieve tractor pressure I turn OFF the engine, put the key switch to the ON position, then toggle the electrical remotes a few times. If you have a mechanical valve actuate it both ways a few times.

On the implement side crack a fitting to relieve pressure in the system. Wear gloves and eye protection. Don't keep body parts near the fitting because pressurized fluids can be dangerous to your health. If oil comes out in drips then the system is depressurized. If it squirts out then that was your problem.

If you still have troubles then you need someone to help you by doing the work for you. Some people simply don't have the hand and body strength and coordination to do the work. You may need to choose a different lifestyle or hobby. I know there will be a point in my life at which I will have to make that decision.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
One other thing that is possible. Are the male and female couplers the same brand and size and type.
Their will be a part number engraved on the connectors. You can google the part numbers on the couplers to confirm that they are compatible.
My flat face couplers on my grapple take perhaps 20-30 pounds of force to connect. To disconnect I have to put about that same 20-30 lbs pressure on the connectors to push them tighter together then sliding collar towards the base of the female coupler the male end will pop out when I let go of the line.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I use this with the flat face couplers for my grapple. Sometimes I can get the couplers to attach by hand, but most of the time use the clamp to make life easier: https://www.skidsteersolutions.com/qc-mate-quick-coupler-hand-clamp-xboom/
Yup, this will work ....with pioneer type couplers.
$85 is a bit much though, when the same effect can be achieved by slightly modifying a pair of welder "vise grip" style pliers.
Amazon: Hobart 770115 "C" locking pliers $12.99
See my post #3.

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
Yup, this will work ....with pioneer type couplers.
It should work with any type of coupler, TBH. But definitely works with my flat-face.

I agree it's pricey...I struggled to plunk down the coin, but in hindsight I'm glad that I did. There are absolutely other solutions out there as well.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It should work with any type of coupler, TBH. But definitely works with my flat-face.

I agree it's pricey...I struggled to plunk down the coin, but in hindsight I'm glad that I did. There are absolutely other solutions out there as well.