First dent and scratch

How crazy is it to purposely dent and scratch your new tractor?

• Totally crazy

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • Somewhat Nucking Futs

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Ok

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Not so bad

• Great idea, plan to adopt this tradtion

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raymo853

Equipment
LX2610SU
Jun 26, 2019
Dorset, VA
Back when I raced mountain bikes, my teammates and I had a tradition: we would use an open end wrench to put the first scratch/dent in each new bike before the first ride. I carried that tradition over to every new car and truck I have bought. Makes that first dent less of a deal. I once had a car salesman freak out on me as he thought I was totally insane.

I plan to do it to my new LX10 when it arrives. Thinking a scratch in the hood and a small dent in the right fender. How insane do you all think I am?

Attachments

Last edited:

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I didn't have to do it, mine came with a small scratch in the hood. I was somewhat disappointed about it at first, but managed to scratch it myself less than a month later. While I wouldn't do it on purpose, it's your tractor and your tradition. I say go for it.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
purposely denting or scratching a new vehicle to me sounds completely stupid, and illogical. That said, scratches on my tractor never bother me. Dents would annoy me a little but Ive never been one to worry about some scratches on a machine that does work. Ive already rubbed off the paint on the corner of my L2501's middle "Hump" for example from getting on and off the tractor. It doesnt bother me at all. this is normal wear from use, even tho I only have 75 hours on the tractor.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
purposely denting or scratching a new vehicle to me sounds completely stupid, and illogical. That said, scratches on my tractor never bother me. Dents would annoy me a little but Ive never been one to worry about some scratches on a machine that does work. Ive already rubbed off the paint on the corner of my L2501's middle "Hump" for example from getting on and off the tractor. It doesnt bother me at all. this is normal wear from use, even tho I only have 75 hours on the tractor.

+1. You come by my place and purposely scratch or dent my wife's new 85 grand Suburban. I'll give you a dent you won't soon forget.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I dropped a good size piece of fire wood on my hood HOUR ONE ......

I didnt do it on purpose .... but the dime size dent is still there to remind me .....

Stupid is as stupid does!

Raymo853

Equipment
LX2610SU
Jun 26, 2019
Dorset, VA
+1. You come by my place and purposely scratch or dent my wife's new 85 grand Suburban. I'll give you a dent you won't soon forget.
Wow you are a woke one aren't you?

I am not suggestion others scratch your things but that people consider scratching their own things so that are not so resistant to use them.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Never been resistant to use anything new I've bought, but I am very resistant to purposely fucking something up.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Stupid is as stupid does. Knock yourself out denting something new as a ritual. Not for me, it happens soon enough.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

I am not suggestion others scratch your things but that people consider scratching their own things so that are not so resistant to use them.

What the hell does that mean?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Your ritual. Seems crazy to me, but it won't make your tractor any worse. I don't have a problem using my equipment just because it doesn't have a scratch yet. Even when it has 5 scratches or dents I'm still annoyed when I put another in it, and since I'm getting older but not wiser, each scratch or dent I put in it doesn't lead to me changing my behaviour to make it less likely to happen next time.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH

Don't worry about flip, he is an angry old man that threatens lots of us here.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Took care of that in the first 20 minutes of ownership when I forgot to put down the ROPS and left some nice marks on the top of the garage door opening. Wife still points at it and says " you are fixing that when you get the barn built right?" Would I intentionally do it? Nope. She has a nice patina from mowing the tree line though.

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
this thread gets me to thinking, the stories of what got damaged BY the tractor are probably going to be more entertaining than damage TO the tractor!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
That's my usual advice when people say "bought my first tractor, what do I need to know." My answer is "be aware that anything your tractor touches will be broken by the tractor. Unless you like fixing your house, your fences, your landscaping, your gates, your garage, be very careful when driving near any of them. And I always mow with the FEL off once I worked out that it's always longer than it looks, and I was always drifting it close to the house and thinking I can go a bit further......actually, not having the FEL on is better."

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The original comment from the OP as well as his 'survey' to me smacks of total disregard for the 'pride of ownership' most of us have and I'd still like to know what his 'woke' comment refers to.

My tractors aren't pristine but I'd never inflict any damage to them with malice. To me that is just wrong.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
After you smack your tractor with a wrench, whack yourself in the head, so you know what that feels like too, so you won’t be a surprise when the first branch hits you. That makes no sense either.

Reactions: 1 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
After you smack your tractor with a wrench, whack yourself in the head, so you know what that feels like too, so you won’t be a surprise when the first branch hits you. That makes no sense either.
That’s a good one👍😂

JPB7745

Equipment
L2501, B8200 and Ford 3000
Aug 27, 2018
Okatie, SC
Good idea, but I like to have that oh sh*t memory of the first one so I can tell others how it happened and how it was my fault as usual.