Fire Extinguisher !!!

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
My old Husqvarna riding mower caught fire due to oil residue build up around the engine. I was mowing my back field to prep a green field and tall grass on the exhaust caught fire and ignited the oil.

Don't ask me how I put it out. Let's just say, most of us have a 'built in" fire extinguisher. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Former Continental pilot?
Nope…. Flight-School instructor/Gulf Oil pipeline/Delta Connection/AMEX corporate/BritishAerospace prod-test-demo/State-Govt/Simulator Instructor/Pilot Examiner/Retired 50+ yrs was enough, now just personal flying (But I walked the CA picket lines for my buddies there in the mid-80s)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Neighbor was washing auto parts with gasoline in a large steel oil change pan.
Got it lit (probably with static), grabbed his extinguisher, and found it was flat. (no pressure)
I heard the commotion and ran to help, he told me the extinguisher didn't work.
I grabbed it, slammed the handle against a bench top, (to break it loose) and unscrewed the head. then slung/poured the powder on the flames, putting out the fire.
Not as good as a charged extinguisher, but a lot better than none.
The drawback is that many times the head will not unscrew without huge force or tools.
But something to keep in mind......

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
No matter what type of powder extinguisher you have the powder will need "fluffing" a couple time a year, it does settle.
Turn it upside down and tap the bottom with a rubber mallet. You'll hear the change in sound as the powder breaks free.
Then shake it back & forth about 7 times and your done.
I like to do all of mine at time chage to DST and back.
Who among us doesn't need a little "fluffing" from time to time?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
View attachment 70587
Here is a New Holland Skid Steer that I kept from burning to the ground back in June with two of those Kidde Replacements.
I think I'd rather use the insurance money to buy a new machine instead of trying to rely on a half cooked machine to operate properly after the adjuster saves money on "fire damage repairs".

Reactions: 1 user

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If you really want to get anal about it, install a whole tractor fire suppression system like this in the link below. Many companies are making them for all kinds of agricultural and construction equipment.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I think I'd rather use the insurance money to buy a new machine instead of trying to rely on a half cooked machine to operate properly after the adjuster saves money on "fire damage repairs".
There was no machine damage. A broken tail pipe rubbed against the "jump start" battery lead causing sparks that ignited debris in the bottom of the engine compartment. I got it extinguished before any engine components ignited.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
There was no machine damage. A broken tail pipe rubbed against the "jump start" battery lead causing sparks that ignited debris in the bottom of the engine compartment. I got it extinguished before any engine components ignited.
A perfect endorsement for always carrying a Dry Chem extinguisher!

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
The fact was that the skid steer did not have a fire extinguisher. I first used my 'sawmill' extinguisher which did not fully extinguish the blaze which would have re-established itself had I not run to my truck and retrieved my 'truck' extinguisher which extinguished the blaze. While I was retrieving my truck extinguisher the operator raised the engine 'hood' which allowed me to direct the dry chemical down and underneath the engine. There is no question that the skid steer would have been lost had I not had two fire extinguishers available.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The fact was that the skid steer did not have a fire extinguisher. I first used my 'sawmill' extinguisher which did not fully extinguish the blaze which would have re-established itself had I not run to my truck and retrieved my 'truck' extinguisher which extinguished the blaze. While I was retrieving my truck extinguisher the operator raised the engine 'hood' which allowed me to direct the dry chemical down and underneath the engine. There is no question that the skid steer would have been lost had I not had two fire extinguishers available.
"would have been lost had I not had two fire extinguishers available"

ONE 5lb extinguisher would have avoided needing the luck to be able to run for a 2nd 2-1/2 lb. extinguisher.
I don't buy 2-1/2 lb extinguishers, because in most cases they are not big enough to do the job.

IMO all machinery/equip should have 5lb minimum extinguishers.
For storage/barn buildings I prefer 10lb (minimum) extinguishers...... and more than one.
I do have one 20lb dry chem extinguisher (kinda heavy now for this old guy).

Perhaps I am more conscious of this extinguisher issue than most.
Back in 1987 I had a $240,000 fire caused by a gas Gravely mower.
Two 5lb. CO2 extinguishers were not enough.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Yup, I am generally an expert on Monday morning. :rolleyes:

The purpose for me posting this topic was to point out fire dangers and possibly help someone to prevent a catastrophe. There have been many useful suggestions made.