Finish mower vs zero turn

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
I’m getting my Mx5800 in a couple weeks. Since I will have the power unit already I’m wanting input on zero turn comparison for doing the yard with a woods or land pride 7.5-8’ finish mower vs a 60” zero turn. I know the ztr is fast & fun & I know the tractor should be fun but not sure on how fast. I’m considering a Ferris 3200 for the ztr. Finish mower would be a woods rd990x. Don’t know the model of landpride.would be a wider cut with the finish mower. I just have a 3.5 acre field for yard. It’s not sod but it’s really thick grass. 2 trees in the whole yard is all. Tractor would be much heavier than a ztr but I don’t cut grass when it’s wet so do I really need to worry bout ruts in the yard from the tractor or not? That mower is heavy for a ztr also.

eng1886trk

Equipment
2016 B2650, 60" bucket, QH15, RB1572, LR1572, BB1260, 42" forks
Mar 9, 2016
Lancaster, PA
Depends on if you want to get it done in a timely fashion or have all day to get it done.

If I were you, I'd get a 72" ZTR hands down.

I have a 60" and get my 3 acres of grass done in just over an hour and 15 mins.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I can do my 3-1/4 acres in anywhere between 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 hours with my 6’ landpride rear finish mower on my L3200. It depends on how much of a hurry I’m in. That’s with a creek, bridge, couple sheds and some trees to deal with. There’s a lot of misinformation out there on RFM’s. They are not nearly as slow ZT salesmen would have you believe.

Beaudeane

Equipment
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
Chim, any issues with ruts ? I have a creek also so guessing similar water table to mine that u mow. My f250 doesn’t leave ruts as long as it’s dry enuf to mow. Different story if it’s wet. I think that trk weighs more than the tractor does & much smaller tires on it

spacemanspiff

Equipment
M5-111
Dec 4, 2015
Lower ,AL
In a big open yard, my tractor can out do a zero turn. Going around things is where I will lose ground.

But the cab makes up for the slowness.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Both types of mowers have there uses. I have a 60" finish mower and a 48" zero turn. Finish mower takes me 2 1/2 hours to do my yard. Zero turn takes 1 hour 15 minute to do the same yard.

With the finish mower, I have a bunch of weed eating to do since I can't get in as close to the trees, as well as the corners of the fenced in yard. So, with my finish mower, doing the yard completely, takes 4 to 6 hours, including weed eating, mowing, edging, and blowing off the driveway and decks.

Using the zero turn and the same job takes just a couple hours.

Where the finish mower shines is wide open areas with few obstacles to go around.

Considering I have 30 trees in the front yard alone, another 20 in the back yard, well you can understand why my zero turn smokes my finish mower :D

Beaudeane

Equipment
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
I’ve found a used woods 990x 4years old in decent looking shape the guy says is too big for his application. Just said he will take $3k for it without any negotiating so far. What would be a good price for it? Lower is better for me & I think they are around $4500 new. No idea how to value used equipment. Rather, what would be an average price for one like it? He said probably about 80 hours & new blades on it

spacemanspiff

Equipment
M5-111
Dec 4, 2015
Lower ,AL
Speaking of mowers, I have said many times I am buying a 7 foot finish mower, but my 20+year old bush hog 5 foot mower will not die. The gear box seal is gone and I filled it with grease and it keeps going. It's the toughest mower ever built. I give no mercy when I use it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Spaceman, most folks refer to their yard as the immediate area around their home. What is the size of your yard if you're mowing with a 100HP tractor?

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Chim, any issues with ruts ? I have a creek also so guessing similar water table to mine that u mow. My f250 doesn’t leave ruts as long as it’s dry enuf to mow. Different story if it’s wet. I think that trk weighs more than the tractor does & much smaller tires on it
The creek doesn't play much of a role most of the time. When it overflows it does deposit a layer of topsoil from upstream. When that happens, I can get on it with the L3200 (R4's) sooner than I can with the smaller and lighter Ford 1210 (R1's). The water usually recedes in hours rather than days. That probably has an effect on how soft the ground gets. I've been on the grass as soon as a few days after it was under water without messing it up.

You can't tell from the picture, but the highest ground is the area around the house. That's probably more than 15' above the creek. From the base of that slope it is a gradual slope to the creek. The creek comes out of the banks between 0 and 4 times a year and usually gets no closer to the house than the intersection of the paved driveway and that gravel driveway to the shed. The house is way above any flood potential.

One thing that makes a big difference is deck width. Any large area needs a "manly" deck. If someone would be generous toward me in their will, I'd have a 7' deck and bigger tractor:) I'm a sucker for equipment.

It took the same amount of time to do our original 2 +/- acres with a 5' deck as it now does to do 3-1/4 acres with the 6' deck. At roughly 25 minutes an acre with the 6' deck behind the Kubota, I just roll my eyes when someone posts a blanket statement that I can reduce my mowing time by 50 percent with a ZT. It would be more useful to see someone post measurable results like "I can do XX acres an hour with my model XXX". "I can do my yard in half the time" doesn't provide enough information without quantifying how much work is done and how long it takes.

I have either mulch or use the scorched earth technique around obstacles so the mower can cut most of what needs to be cut. Trimming is minimal. Unless I'm trimming the banks of the creek, I get by with a DeWalt 20 string trimmer and still have some juice left in a 5AH battery.

Attachments

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Must agree zero turn is fast and very maneuverable. I am building a power unit which will enable me to mount a finish mower on my FEL. I also have a Befco C-70 finish mower (9ft-2 inch) designed to mow at 8 mph per owner's manual. In open space, it is also very fast. All depends upon obstacles and application. I mow 10 + acres of mostly open space. Nine foot+ @8mph covers alot of ground. The comment concerning the cab is valid. Climate control = mowing at any time of day, any temps and especially early evening when the bugs are merciless. Not to mention a light rain or the ground bees nest of yellow jackets.
Because of the width, mowing close to fence lines is really no issue, gotten so I can do it w/ the mirrors but NOT at full speed.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
The creek doesn't play much of a role most of the time. When it overflows it does deposit a layer of topsoil from upstream. When that happens, I can get on it with the L3200 (R4's) sooner than I can with the smaller and lighter Ford 1210 (R1's). The water usually recedes in hours rather than days. That probably has an effect on how soft the ground gets. I've been on the grass as soon as a few days after it was under water without messing it up.

You can't tell from the picture, but the highest ground is the area around the house. That's probably more than 15' above the creek. From the base of that slope it is a gradual slope to the creek. The creek comes out of the banks between 0 and 4 times a year and usually gets no closer to the house than the intersection of the paved driveway and that gravel driveway to the shed. The house is way above any flood potential.

One thing that makes a big difference is deck width. Any large area needs a "manly" deck. If someone would be generous toward me in their will, I'd have a 7' deck and bigger tractor:) I'm a sucker for equipment.

It took the same amount of time to do our original 2 +/- acres with a 5' deck as it now does to do 3-1/4 acres with the 6' deck. At roughly 25 minutes an acre with the 6' deck behind the Kubota, I just roll my eyes when someone posts a blanket statement that I can reduce my mowing time by 50 percent with a ZT. It would be more useful to see someone post measurable results like "I can do XX acres an hour with my model XXX". "I can do my yard in half the time" doesn't provide enough information without quantifying how much work is done and how long it takes.

I have either mulch or use the scorched earth technique around obstacles so the mower can cut most of what needs to be cut. Trimming is minimal. Unless I'm trimming the banks of the creek, I get by with a DeWalt 20 string trimmer and still have some juice left in a 5AH battery.

I surely agree with you Chim on your statement how everybody says how fast zero turns are. I can do my my 1-1/2 acre with my B2650 with 60"mmm in 55 minutes. I just love watching people going really fast on their zero turn just beating their back and kidneys up, but they are mowing fast. While a zero turn might be a little faster, l will take a nice comfortable ride on my tractor to mow any day!!

View attachment 35132

Last edited:

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
i surely agree with you chim on your statement how everybody says how fast zero turns are. ........ I just love watching people going really fast on their zero turn just beating their back and kidneys up, but they are mowing fast. While a zero turn might be a little faster, l will take a nice comfortable ride on my tractor to mow any day!!
Amen!!! :)

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
I surely agree with you Chim on your statement how everybody says how fast zero turns are. I can do my my 1-1/2 acre with my B2650 with 60"mmm in 55 minutes. I just love watching people going really fast on their zero turn just beating their back and kidneys up, but they are mowing fast. While a zero turn might be a little faster, l will take a nice comfortable ride on my tractor to mow any day!!

View attachment 35132
Not necessarily. I mowed with my tractor and a 60" mmm for years (very similar to yours), and I got more breat up with it. However, when I bought my zt I tested out several models specifically to find a good seat and ride. I ended up stepping up in models from what I was originally looking at because the weight adjustable seat and seat suspension was such a back saver. Also, I can rapidly slow down for a rough area and get back to speed quickly.

You can get a zt that you can be uncomfortable in... but you don't have too. For more comfort mowing, I would take my zt over my former tractor (B2320HSD) any day. But the key is to make sure you test it out on some rough ground and choose one that won't beat you up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Not necessarily. I mowed with my tractor and a 60" mmm for years (very similar to yours), and I got more breat up with it. However, when I bought my zt I tested out several models specifically to find a good seat and ride. I ended up stepping up in models from what I was originally looking at because the weight adjustable seat and seat suspension was such a back saver. Also, I can rapidly slow down for a rough area and get back to speed quickly.

You can get a zt that you can be uncomfortable in... but you don't have too. For more comfort mowing, I would take my zt over my former tractor (B2320HSD) any day. But the key is to make sure you test it out on some rough ground and choose one that won't beat you up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I would be curious to know if you were running R4 tires or turf tires on your tractor?

Beaudeane

Equipment
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
Anyone know what that used finish mower should go for I asked about?

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
I agree, you need details, specs, etc.

Many factors are at play - cutting around things is of course one and where ZT wins hands down.

Lots of hills or slopes maybe a tractor is better.

Open fields/yards it comes down to how much cut width and speed have you got to work with?

The bigger (more commercial) ZT's win here - they can do 7 acres an hour. The thing they bring to the table it blade speed. The faster the blades spin the faster ground speed you can do, so the more land you can mow.

the farther you can go before turning around balances a tractor against a ZT a bit better - so if you can make 1000' foot passes vs 200ft before turning around the ZT loses some of it's advantages.

And if your tractor is diesel vs a gas ZT you'll save on fuel.

If the ground isn't smooth you'll have to mow slower, particularly on a ZT as I find mine (with sprung seat) is still less comfortable than my big(ger) tractor (bigger diam wheels maybe rill over ground bettre?)

I had a 54" cut geared tractor and 2 acres with nothing to mow aorund other than the house - too 2.5 hours.

Moved to a 48" cut HST tractor with less HP, started havig things to mow around, 2 hours to mow, maybe a tad less if I really hustled.

Moved to a 48" cut HST (more hp than either of the above) and can mow the same yard with lots to mow around in 1 hr 15 min if I hustle, 1 30 if I drive slower as to not spill my beer. and it's a lot more fun on a ZT, though harder to drink a beer.:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
" Originally Posted by rkidd View Post
i surely agree with you chim on your statement how everybody says how fast zero turns are. ........ I just love watching people going really fast on their zero turn just beating their back and kidneys up, but they are mowing fast. While a zero turn might be a little faster, l will take a nice comfortable ride on my tractor to mow any day!!"

I find this post interesting. Apparently someone who does not have a zero turn making a judgement on all ZTs.

Our zero turn has a Grammer seat, a deck that folds up to about 60deg. for service, 62" deck, 29HP. My guess it mows with less back beating and kidney jolting than your tractor.

Have you ever considered Kubota makes some tractors with more features than their other models? The same goes for zero turns. They don't all fit your observation!!

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
" Originally Posted by rkidd View Post
i surely agree with you chim on your statement how everybody says how fast zero turns are. ........ I just love watching people going really fast on their zero turn just beating their back and kidneys up, but they are mowing fast. While a zero turn might be a little faster, l will take a nice comfortable ride on my tractor to mow any day!!"

I find this post interesting. Apparently someone who does not have a zero turn making a judgement on all ZTs.

Our zero turn has a Grammer seat, a deck that folds up to about 60deg. for service, 62" deck, 29HP. My guess it mows with less back beating and kidney jolting than your tractor.

Have you ever considered Kubota makes some tractors with more features than their other models? The same goes for zero turns. They don't all fit your observation!!
D2CAT It was not my intent to start a war on types of mowers as that is a never ending battle. I was just stating my opinion and preference. I am very aware of different grades of tractors, zero turns,dozers, excavators, and all types of equipment as I have been running all of these including zero turns for 50 yrs. I realize you can step up into a nice upgraded zero turn that has suspension seat and other features as you have. My point was that the majority of people have mid priced or lower priced zero turns, due to the cost of upper end zero turns, that do not have those features, and those were the ones I was referring to. And I do constantly see them going fast beating themselves up. I guess I should have specified not all zero turns. My bad. I surely never said there was not a place for zero turns, as of course there is. I just stated that for me, I enjoy getting on my tractor and mowing my yard. Nothing more or less.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
My one complaint between using my zero turn versus my tractor and finish mower.

Tractor uses a gallon or so of fuel to do the yard. Zero turn uses almost 4 gallons in half the time :rolleyes:

My zero turn is more comfortable then the tractor. Zero turn I can stretch out, plus the suspension seat is super nice.

Tractor has a solid mount seat with little cushion.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk