Finish mower blade sharpening? Jigs, freehand, angle grinder, bench grinder, stone, paper?

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
Is there a consensus on the best way to sharpen finish and brush mower blades? I have an angle grinder, Dremel tool, bench grinder an oscillating edge sander. And I'm on the market to find a deal on a used 72" belt grinder. If I had the belt grinder I probably wouldn't be asking the question.

The bench grinder leaves a concave surface, the angle grinder requires some free hand consistency skills that I don't have and I'm guessing the Dremel's too small and would get to hot if removing a lot of metal. I'm thinking maybe a jig for the angle grinder?

Any recommendations?

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I use a file. I used to do it with a hand grinder but I took too much metal off that way.

Reactions: 1 user

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
If you have lots of time some 4000 grit sandpaper :ROFLMAO: I use a belt sander with 80 grit sandpaper and have a mower blade balancing cone. For the brush hog blades use a angle grinder.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Is there a consensus on the best way to sharpen finish and brush mower blades? I have an angle grinder, Dremel tool, bench grinder an oscillating edge sander. And I'm on the market to find a deal on a used 72" belt grinder. If I had the belt grinder I probably wouldn't be asking the question.

The bench grinder leaves a concave surface, the angle grinder requires some free hand consistency skills that I don't have and I'm guessing the Dremel's too small and would get to hot if removing a lot of metal. I'm thinking maybe a jig for the angle grinder?

Any recommendations?
You should check out this repair/sharpening thread, here on OTT for some differing ideas.

For my rear finish mower, I used to hand sharpen with a 4" grinder. A few years ago I upgraded to the "All American Sharpener" listed in the above thread. Was it necessary....no. Do I like it???.....absolutely. It takes all the guess work out of maintaining and sharpening a clean straight edge.....quickly!!

A blade balancer to get the blades evenly balanced after repairing/sharpening makes a world of difference.

For my brush hog mower.....4" grinder by hand with the mower deck tilted/raised up and an eyeball sharpening job is all it needs. :ROFLMAO:

Velma

Equipment
B2301, FDR1660, RB1560, SGC0554, Pats QH, CMP Dethatcher
May 12, 2022
MI
4.5" angle grinder with 'flap wheel' works better for me than 'grinding wheels'...
2nd vote for the flap disk. A low grit 60-80’ish makes quick work with sharpening.
I sharpen free hand. As the sanding leaves a shiny surface. Quite easy to see where it’s hitting to maintain the angle.

Last edited:

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I like the edge a bench stone puts on blade but I'm too lazy to use one. If your neighbors watch 4.5" angle grinder looks cool and 7" looks macho.

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
You should check out this repair/sharpening thread, here on OTT for some differing ideas.

For my rear finish mower, I used to hand sharpen with a 4" grinder. A few years ago I upgraded to the "All American Sharpener" listed in the above thread. Was it necessary....no. Do I like it???.....absolutely. It takes all the guess work out of maintaining and sharpening a clean straight edge.....quickly!!

A blade balancer to get the blades evenly balanced after repairing/sharpening makes a world of difference.

For my brush hog mower.....4" grinder by hand with the mower deck tilted/raised up and an eyeball sharpening job is all it needs. :ROFLMAO:
I'm tempted to try and American knock off.

I also just remembered that I bought one of these file sanders for another project:
1696814801421.png

Might be easier to freehand than an angle grinder. there's a platen behind the belt so I bet you could keep the blade angle pretty easy. Probably try that first and if I don't get the results I want, then try the angle grinder jig.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
If they are not too beat up I will give them a quick once over with the angle grinder. If they are really beat up I blow the 21 bucks and let the local shop do them.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I use this for the blades on my zero turn. I found it used for about 50% of the new cost and it works really well. It makes sharpening them better than I could do by hand. I have 5 sets of blades I rotate from being on the mower to getting sharpened. I only get 10-15 hours out of them before the cut quality starts to fall off.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I'm tempted to try and American knock off.

I also just remembered that I bought one of these file sanders for another project:
View attachment 113452

Might be easier to freehand than an angle grinder. there's a platen behind the belt so I bet you could keep the blade angle pretty easy. Probably try that first and if I don't get the results I want, then try the angle grinder jig.
I think you'll find a 4" grinder with a coarse flap disk is the next best thing to a jig for an easy sharpening/touch up job.

Regarding the All American Blade Sharpener: Reviews comparing the "knock offs" to the "All American" say that the knock off's build is on the sloppy side with some play at the joints. All I know is the actual "All American Sharpener" is top quality built with both materials and workmanship. The moveable parts are smooth and tight with a lot of adjustments for all the different types of blades that can be mounted to it.

One can get really good just using a hand grinder. But that jig can make your blades look like new with almost no skill involved.

A buddy took 3 sets to be sharpened at his dealer. It cost him $90 last year. He showed me his newly sharpened blades. Whoever sharpened them did a terrible job!! I told him he should get his money back!!

When he saw my blades and how they balanced.....he asked if I'd sharpen his quickly. :ROFLMAO: I did. His blades weren't even remotely balanced. He promptly ordered the All American Blade Sharpener. Said it would pay for itself quickly.

I bolted my sharpener to a piece of angle iron so it can be clamped in my floor vise to use and stored elsewhere until needed. The blade balancer also mounts to that angle iron base.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
If the blacksmith was still alive, I'd be tempted to take badly dull brush cutter blades to him and let him hammer them out, instead of grinding so much metal off. Sort of like I watched him sharpen plows so many times.

Alas, he's long gone.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'm much lazier than all of you. But I suspect this is secretly a religious thread with no correct answer.

I do mine on the bench grinder. Probably once a month. After two years I'm close to putting new ones on. I've never balanced them, and they seem OK. The deck doesn't vibrate, they seemed to balance reasonably level when I did check them once.

The other things I do to my deck will do far more damage than slightly out of balance blades. And I don't think the angle is all that important - I can tell I'm slowly creeping the angle over time and I don't really mind. They still cut the grass.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Wow. I'm truly out of your folk's caliber.

For my lawn, or "finish" mower, I buy new blades every 5 years or so.

For my Brush hog blades, the duller the better. I replace them when they get too short.

The only blades I sharpen are on hand knives and chainsaws.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I scrape them off then grind them on a bench grinder and its always work fine for me when they start getting getting thin I'll just replace them.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
When my ZTR starts leaving windrows I take my blades off the machine, put them in a vice and use a 5 inch grinder with 60-80 grit flap disc to put on a clean, sharp edge and bevel. I then scrape grass clippings from my deck using a chipping gun with a 4" chisel before re-assembling.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Belt grinder to sharpen then blunt edge square 1/16”. Stays sharp for most of the season.

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
Yeah - don't over think it.

Dan
Ha, I might be under thinking it.
I've progressed from a hand file(back when I couldn't afford power tools) to the flap disc. If it takes more than five minutes I feel like I'm doing it wrong. I care about the angle and not getting the blade too hot. I try not to get it too hot to touch.