Finally ….bridge over my stream

GibbyESS9

Equipment
2020 Bx23s,BX2672 plow, Titan Forks, Land Pride 48” BB, FEL, Bestco Flail mower
Sep 30, 2020
Blue Point NY / Newfoundland PA
Have two streams on my property of 40 acres. My neighbor,my buddy and I built a stout little bridge over one of the streams so we can walk the whole property with a spoiled little French bulldog that loves the woods. All in about $900 with the gravel delivery that will fill in some other trails.
true oak 8x8x16 ft main beams and 2x6x8 acq .curb sides are 4x6 just in case quads or side by side gets too close.
All in a Three day project with building up the approaches the hardest part.

Attachments

Reactions: 14 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Looks nice, however if you get a hard rain what is to keep the whole thing from floating off?

Reactions: 1 user

GibbyESS9

Equipment
Sep 30, 2020
We pinned both ends with 1 inch rebar 6 ft deep.It’s 32 inches off the stream, and the five years we have been there it has never gotten that high. We even had a day of 3 inch rain, and it was not even close to that high. There is a small dam just a little upstream that slows it.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
V
Have two streams on my property of 40 acres. My neighbor,my buddy and I built a stout little bridge over one of the streams so we can walk the whole property with a spoiled little French bulldog that loves the woods. All in about $900 with the gravel delivery that will fill in some other trails.
true oak 8x8x16 ft main beams and 2x6x8 acq .curb sides are 4x6 just in case quads or side by side gets too close.
All in a Three day project with building up the approaches the hardest part.
VERY nice work!

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
That’s the nicest “cheap” bridge I’ve seen. Good work. Now to put one on the other creek as well.

$7/s.f. In materials, including the gravel approaches. How did you do that? Did you already have the 8x8 beams on hand and you got a smoking deal on the 2x6s?

The beams on your bridge have a very respectful factor of safety. Maybe for the day you decide a loaded gravel truck needs to the other side. Just don’t let it kick the bridge off the trailing foundation when the duals get on the departing cantilever. For that matter maybe when the front axle gets on the leading end of the bridge, unless those cantilevers have some support under them too. Mostly kidding about that, but just incase, since it is hell for stout.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Looks like you could drive a cement truck over it.

Nice job!

GibbyESS9

Equipment
Sep 30, 2020
That’s the nicest “cheap” bridge I’ve seen. Good work. Now to put one on the other creek as well.

$7/s.f. In materials, including the gravel approaches. How did you do that? Did you already have the 8x8 beams on hand and you got a smoking deal on the 2x6s?

The beams on your bridge have a very respectful factor of safety. Maybe for the day you decide a loaded gravel truck needs to the other side. Just don’t let it kick the bridge off the trailing foundation when the duals get on the departing cantilever. For that matter maybe when the front axle gets on the leading end of the bridge, unless those cantilevers have some support under them too. Mostly kidding about that, but just incase, since it is hell for stout.
My neighbor that helped me has a brother in law that had the 8x8 oak beams. Leftover from an excavating company. They were all 16 ft long and true 8x8 and I got them for $50 each. Great guy.Saved me a ton. Originally i was going to buy utility poles.

Gibby

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My neighbor that helped me has a brother in law that had the 8x8 oak beams. Leftover from an excavating company. They were all 16 ft long and true 8x8 and I got them for $50 each. Great guy.Saved me a ton. Originally i was going to buy utility poles.

Gibby
Any idea what kind of oak it is? I mean white oak VS red oak...

Probably white oak if they were used outside before you got them...just a guess though. Red oak is not durable for exposed to the elements applications. That's why I ask...

Looks very nice and well made.

GibbyESS9

Equipment
Sep 30, 2020
Any idea what kind of oak it is? I mean white oak VS red oak...

Probably white oak if they were used outside before you got them...just a guess though. Red oak is not durable for exposed to the elements applications. That's why I ask...

Looks very nice and well made.
Yep, White oak. Cut one in half for the embankment side.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
We live beside a creek. Been here for 27 years, and it's been in the family since the early 80's. In that time, there have been 2 times that water has taken out our bridge. The current one survived 21 1/2" of rain from a tropical storm/hurricane Isabel. It's been a learning curve.
Generalizing, it's not if but when. Unless the bridge- any bridge- is designed for hundred year floods, it will likely suffer. There is no stopping the raw power of water.

IMG_1346.JPG