Filter for BX series

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
It is really unfortunate that something like this even needs to be discussed. Kubota promotes itself as a world class manufacturer. Had I realized the truth of the Kubuta fuel filter situation on the BX I would have looked more at the competition. A fuel filter on a diesel machine is important and needs to be changed regularly. No fuel shut off means I need to pinch the line off to change the filters. FUN! Why does it need to be this way? Is profit more important that customer satisfaction? This is not the only short cut Kubota has taken. (cutting edge on buckets is soft, tie rod boots do not last and are not covered by warranty) I guess I got what I paid for.
No argument from me, i totally understand what your getting at. Thats why i installed a water trap on my BX23S and deleted the rear filter back at the tank and lift pump. I also run a pre-filter from my diesel refueling can before it goes into the tank on the tractor. Gotta protect these diesels.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
What is the measurement of the filter for b7100?
Fuel tank opening?

Ray
I visited the tractor for a few minutes today. Strainer measurements as follows:
OD of top flange- 2.065"
OD of strainer body just below flange- 1.985"
OAL- 2.650"
Thickness of top flange- .040"
Thickness of gasket- .075"

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It is really unfortunate that something like this even needs to be discussed. Kubota promotes itself as a world class manufacturer. Had I realized the truth of the Kubuta fuel filter situation on the BX I would have looked more at the competition. A fuel filter on a diesel machine is important and needs to be changed regularly. No fuel shut off means I need to pinch the line off to change the filters. FUN! Why does it need to be this way? Is profit more important that customer satisfaction? This is not the only short cut Kubota has taken. (cutting edge on buckets is soft, tie rod boots do not last and are not covered by warranty) I guess I got what I paid for.
Gee...you seem highly critical.

Pushing 17 years now on my BX and have yet to change a fuel filter. Both my Kubotas have been extremely reliable over the last 16-18 years. I did change the fuel filter once on my B2910 soon after purchase due to buying crap off road fuel. Bought the B2910 in 2002.

Perhaps you did get what you paid for but do not appreciate it, not having bought something else.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Gee...you seem highly critical.

Pushing 17 years now on my BX and have yet to change a fuel filter. Both my Kubotas have been extremely reliable over the last 16-18 years. I did change the fuel filter once on my B2910 soon after purchase due to buying crap off road fuel. Bought the B2910 in 2002.

Perhaps you did get what you paid for but do not appreciate it, not having bought something else.
Yes I am critical. I have decided that trying to explain it is futile so think what you want.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Yes I am critical. I have decided that trying to explain it is futile so think what you want.
I will...and do understand some people need to complain more than others. Nature of the beast. :LOL:

By the way, posts about people changing fuel filters frequently got me wondering, so I posted a question about my experience and asking if I am making a mistake by not changing my fuel filters if there is no apparent reason to do so. I look forward to seeing what the answers are...

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock

Pushing 17 years now on my BX and have yet to change a fuel filter. .
Thats nothing to Boast about. Thats just stupidity.

As far as you not having problems,
There are a lot of variables.... but maybe you just got lucky.

Perhaps you should buy a powerball ticket.

As far as your last question about if you should or shouldn't....
Why ask?
You obviously know better than the Manufacturer....

If you really want to know, Remove the filter and cut it open.

all it takes is One batch of bad fuel and you will have egg on your face.

It happens.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thats nothing to Boast about. Thats just stupidity.

As far as you not having problems,
There are a lot of variables.... but maybe you just got lucky.

Perhaps you should buy a powerball ticket.

As far as your last question about if you should or shouldn't....
Why ask?
You obviously know better than the Manufacturer....

If you really want to know, Remove the filter and cut it open.

all it takes is One batch of bad fuel and you will have egg on your face.

It happens.
Hey! I don't mind being called stupid, but do prefer that the one calling me stupid help me, by showing me what drives my stupidity!

Bad fuel clogs the fuel filter. So what? Tractor runs poorly or not at all, and you replace the filter and are good to go again. I think I mentioned I have been through that once...

Egg on my face never bothered me. Especially if there is a bit of catsup on it. :LOL:

John T, I would appreciate your educating me how NOT changing fuel filter that is functioning is a problem.

Thinking about it, I will give you some help with the answer.

Perhaps an old filter has actually failed, and is not filtering at all. :oops:

Can anyone put their finger on the chances of this actually happening? This possibility could be one reason for periodically changing out fuel filters.

What are the chances? Anyone run into a fuel filter that developed a hole in it, letting raw fuel pass through unfiltered?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Hey! I don't mind being called stupid, but do prefer that the one calling me stupid help me, by showing me what drives my stupidity!

Bad fuel clogs the fuel filter. So what? Tractor runs poorly or not at all, and you replace the filter and are good to go again. I think I mentioned I have been through that once...

Egg on my face never bothered me. Especially if there is a bit of catsup on it. :LOL:

John T, I would appreciate your educating me how NOT changing fuel filter that is functioning is a problem.

Thinking about it, I will give you some help with the answer.

Perhaps an old filter has actually failed, and is not filtering at all. :oops:

Can anyone put their finger on the chances of this actually happening? This possibility could be one reason for periodically changing out fuel filters.

What are the chances? Anyone run into a fuel filter that developed a hole in it, letting raw fuel pass through unfiltered?
I think some Kubotas have only a brass screen (my L35?). My manual says clean at 100 hrs, replace at 400. Why you'd need to replace a screen is beyond me.
Our M7040 has a separator pre-filter with a brass screen and a spin-on filter at the inj pump. It had been running good until one cold morning it would only idle. It had been neglected so long the lift pump suction collapsed the screen and let water and gunk pass to the final filter. If it was like my L35 with no final filter, that junk would have gone to the injector pump. As it was, it cost us a $25 screen. I know I'm going to give my L35 closer attention.
I know some people use the run it 'til it quits philosophy, even some large companies. But the repair cost to a diesel fuel system vs the cost to clean/replace a fuel filter seems obvious to me.
P.S. If I were looking to buy your un-maintained tractor, I'd probably keep my distance.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I think some Kubotas have only a brass screen (my L35?). My manual says clean at 100 hrs, replace at 400. Why you'd need to replace a screen is beyond me.
Our M7040 has a separator pre-filter with a brass screen and a spin-on filter at the inj pump. It had been running good until one cold morning it would only idle. It had been neglected so long the lift pump suction collapsed the screen and let water and gunk pass to the final filter. If it was like my L35 with no final filter, that junk would have gone to the injector pump. As it was, it cost us a $25 screen. I know I'm going to give my L35 closer attention.
I know some people use the run it 'til it quits philosophy, even some large companies. But the repair cost to a diesel fuel system vs the cost to clean/replace a fuel filter seems obvious to me.
P.S. If I were looking to buy your un-maintained tractor, I'd probably keep my distance.
Your points are well taken, but calling my tractor(s) unmaintained is a stretch, unless by your self admission yours are/were also unmaintained, then perhaps your are correct.

I do appreciate your insight though. But in the end, your filters did do the job and you fixed the issue of the tractor not running due to a filter issue, did you not?

I am still not sure that I can equate the fuel filter as equal to the oil filters/oil changes or hydraulic filters/hydraulic oil changes. But I could be wrong. Trying to learn and understand where my head should be on this...

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Your points are well taken, but calling my tractor(s) unmaintained is a stretch, unless by your self admission yours are/were also unmaintained, then perhaps your are correct.

I do appreciate your insight though. But in the end, your filters did do the job and you fixed the issue of the tractor not running due to a filter issue, did you not?

I am still not sure that I can equate the fuel filter as equal to the oil filters/oil changes or hydraulic filters/hydraulic oil changes. But I could be wrong. Trying to learn and understand where my head should be on this...
Hypocrit to henro: yes, my L35 was un maintained when I bought it a year and a half ago. I tried to discount what I paid accordingly, I've done several maintenance and repairs but admittedly not fuel filter. I do look at it regularly since Kubota stuck it out there in plain view :) and I'll clean it ASAP.
The M isn't really mine - it belongs to a non-profit org I started volunteering at about a year ago. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :rolleyes:. (Another guy and I have agreed to take it on.)
EDIT. And since I'm in sparring mode right now, I could (but won't) argue that maintaining the filter in a fuel system where potential contaminants are constantly introduced makes more sense than in closed systems like the engine crankcase and transmission.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Hypocrit to henro: yes, my L35 was un maintained when I bought it a year and a half ago. I tried to discount what I paid accordingly, I've done several maintenance and repairs but admittedly not fuel filter. I do look at it regularly since Kubota stuck it out there in plain view :) and I'll clean it ASAP.
The M isn't really mine - it belongs to a non-profit org I started volunteering at about a year ago. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :rolleyes:. (Another guy and I have agreed to take it on.)
EDIT. And since I'm in sparring mode right now, I could (but won't) argue that maintaining the filter in a fuel system where potential contaminants are constantly introduced makes more sense than in closed systems like the engine crankcase and transmission.
I was thinking about my cars and trucks over the last couple decades. Fuel injection entirely I think. Probably most of our vehicles use fuel injection these days.

I have NEVER changed a fuel filter in one of my vehicles, and do not even know if doing so is recommended by manufacturers. Does anyone here regularly change their fuel filters in their vehicles? Maybe diesel trucks/vehicles are different than gas powered vehicles? Do diesel truck manufacturers recommend changing fuel filters periodically, if there is no apparent need?

Not sure that "potential contaminants are constantly introduced" in my tractors' fuel systems, since I get my fuel from a source that is high turnover and very clean.

Back when I had the issue with dirty fuel on my new B2910, I bought two fuel filters, to have a spare on hand. I still have that spare...

Would still like to hear if anyone cuts open/inspects their fuel filters after changing them, and especially if they ever found a hole in a filter rather than just blockage upon inspection.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I was thinking about my cars and trucks over the last couple decades. Fuel injection entirely I think. Probably most of our vehicles use fuel injection these days.

I have NEVER changed a fuel filter in one of my vehicles, and do not even know if doing so is recommended by manufacturers. Does anyone here regularly change their fuel filters in their vehicles? Maybe diesel trucks/vehicles are different than gas powered vehicles? Do diesel truck manufacturers recommend changing fuel filters periodically, if there is no apparent need?

Not sure that "potential contaminants are constantly introduced" in my tractors' fuel systems, since I get my fuel from a source that is high turnover and very clean.

Back when I had the issue with dirty fuel on my new B2910, I bought two fuel filters, to have a spare on hand. I still have that spare...

Would still like to hear if anyone cuts open/inspects their fuel filters after changing them, and especially if they ever found a hole in a filter rather than just blockage upon inspection.
Just a mild rebuttal:
* I think most cars and trucks have the fuel filter in the tank as part of the fuel pump assembly. So it's not readily accessible.
* Unlike gasoline, diesel fuel supports organic growth. Algae grows in the tank, filters, etc especially since most of us don't use our tractors enough to keep fresh fuel throughout the system. So it makes its own crap, even if it went in clean.
* In my M7040 story, the screen wasn't just blocked, it was wadded up in the bottom of the cup. It was obviously not stopping anything. If not for the final filter there's no telling what damage would have been done.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I didn't call you stupid.

I said your activity is stupidity.

Seems like you are searching all over the board for a pat on the back and acceptance.

I'm sure you will find it somewhere.

The fact is, Changing fuel filters is part of basic diesel maintenance.

Do what ever makes you happy.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just a mild rebuttal:
* I think most cars and trucks have the fuel filter in the tank as part of the fuel pump assembly. So it's not readily accessible.
* Unlike gasoline, diesel fuel supports organic growth. Algae grows in the tank, filters, etc especially since most of us don't use our tractors enough to keep fresh fuel throughout the system. So it makes its own crap, even if it went in clean.
* In my M7040 story, the screen wasn't just blocked, it was wadded up in the bottom of the cup. It was obviously not stopping anything. If not for the final filter there's no telling what damage would have been done.
PoTreeBoy, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Perhaps the fact that the fuel filter is placed inside the gas tank is a sign that (like you said) gasoline likely has less need for filtering than diesel.

I am confused by your thought that the your M7040 primary filter (I assume you have two filters) was not stopping anything. Seems like it was, since you found a bunch of junk on the input side (I assume that was the input side). And you did not find physical damage to the filter itself, correct? So if you have two filters it sounds like the first one was doing what it was designed to do.

Probably the second filter is a finer filter (filters out smaller particles) and it was also doing what it should, and at that point in time could have functioned longer without any risk to the injector pump.

I am still having trouble seeing the benefit of changing a fuel filter before it needs to be changed. But I see reasons to perhaps do so, or not do so.

Reason to do so: Filter has failed in a way to stop functioning as designed, and is passing unfiltered fuel. Possible reasons, it developed a hole or became distorted/unseated in its holder.

Reason not to do so: Replacement filter is installed incorrectly or defective from the factory. It passes unfiltered fuel to the injector pump. Also time and parts expense costs.

On my B2910 the fuel filter is easily accessible and only takes a couple minutes to change. If I believed there was a real reason to change it frequently, I would do it annually.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I didn't call you stupid.

I said your activity is stupidity.

Seems like you are searching all over the board for a pat on the back and acceptance.

I'm sure you will find it somewhere.

The fact is, Changing fuel filters is part of basic diesel maintenance.

Do what ever makes you happy.
John T,

Thank you for using my act of stupidity as a sign that I am indeed intelligent! LOL.

Being in the elderly generation now, I have long past the need for pats on the back or acceptance. LOL x 2

Lots of things are part of maintenance as defined in the manual. Do we all follow them without question? How about changing perfectly good radiator hoses every couple years? I know some manuals call for this. There are a number of things manuals call for that MANY owners do not do.

Read the manual for your equipment and see if YOU do everything it calls out. I bet you do not, but of course could be wrong. But I would bet, and probably not be wrong, that most of us do not do EVERYTHING the manual says to do, at the periods recommended in the manual.

Most of us do do what makes us happy. But questioning things also makes me happy so I will continue to do so...my nature...

gas man

Equipment
b7100hst
May 25, 2019
cny
I'm not a fan of Belarus but those things run forever. Their oil filter is a piece of window screen and their fuel filter isn't much better. I've never been around a farm or construction site that treated their refueling like they were in a operating room. Someone has to much time and money.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I just changed the 2 fuel filters last week (400hrs) and was impressed at the crud in the primary filter. THEN NYeve it ran rough dang near died...see the picture for why ! grr.. I have NO idea where this 1/4" diameter 1/2 bagel shaped plastic came from BUT it cost me 3 days to 'remove/clean/replace' the fueltank. I now have a 'fueltank entry filter'. I don't understand why Kubota doesn't have one, heck the Chinese Honda clone gas engines have them...sigh. Sad thing is the 3PT 'lock' knob broke off AND ripped out the shaft it's attached to. The WSM doesn't say HOW the knob comes off , just 'remove knobs'..... Got the parts in today and dealer would charge $400 Canucks for the 3 hrs to do the job. I'm also going to replumb for an EASY access primary filter when the weather gets a LOT warmer.Pushing 70 and don't like working in cold,drizzle,...YUCK anymore !

Attachments

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I change the fuel filters, which are external to the tanks, as were the filters on any vehicle I have owned, every 50,000 miles, whether they need it or not. Cheap insurance.
Diesel trucks, like the Peterbilts I owned for 45 years, all had primary and secondary fuel filters that were changed at every oil change, about 12-15,000 miles. Besides the oil and fuel filters, the water filter was changed also. Air filters were changed when the restriction gauge got into the high green/low orange area.
Any resonably intelligent operator/driver will make sure fuel filters are changed on a regular basis, as it is no fun at all changing them at night in the winter along an interstate with traffic flying by you three feet away.
A $10 fuel filter is much cheaper than a service call.

Reactions: 1 user