Filter for BX series

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
After hearing a lot of concerns over the problems with debris getting into the BX series diesel tanks, I decided to try an experiment. I have been filtering my fuel via a teflon filter than damn near blocks all - including water! I have never had a problem with a clogged filter to date! OK - knock on wood here.....

BUT to do it, I have to place the filter in the opening, make sure it does not move around and spill diesel all over the place..... and then tilt up a five gallon jug of diesel and pour somewhat slower than normal....stop , check height of fill, repeat , repeat ....etc!!!! And yes, an overfill makes a helva mess!:p

SO - there has to be a better solution than a slow pour and check and recheck! Those of us that have the older B series (not sure about newer ones) the tank had a prefilter built right in! This probably stopped 95% of the bad stuff....and then the inline filter hopefully got the rest!

so I did some measuring and got in contact with a manufacturer of stainless steel filters. They make custom made filter systems for anything you can imagine......lot of measuring and excellent communications from this company and now a prototype and how it fits into the filler neck of the tank.
I poured diesel and it poured as fast as you wanted......this is a 74 micron filter, so it will stop a lot of stuff, however, it will not stop water.

The first one is rather $$$$ , not sure if people are willing to pay $75 for a stainless steel filter, but I paid a little more for the first one. The top fits back perfectly and snugly and the filter stays in the tank, it can be pulled out quickly if needed.

PM - if anyone is interested in this concept or has any questions!

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I think you should add a gasket/seal between the tank and the new filter insert.

For the Mr. Filter process you describe- they do make larger filters with multiple vertical filters so the flow is increased.

I have plans to get a new diesel can (surecan-USA) and hang it up above the tractor and see how that works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
What is the measurement of the filter for b7100?
Fuel tank opening?
Ray
Unfortunately, the tractor is 150mi away right now, & I have no idea when I can get to it to measure. Maybe someone else can get those dimensions?

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
It is really unfortunate that something like this even needs to be discussed. Kubota promotes itself as a world class manufacturer. Had I realized the truth of the Kubuta fuel filter situation on the BX I would have looked more at the competition. A fuel filter on a diesel machine is important and needs to be changed regularly. No fuel shut off means I need to pinch the line off to change the filters. FUN! Why does it need to be this way? Is profit more important that customer satisfaction? This is not the only short cut Kubota has taken. (cutting edge on buckets is soft, tie rod boots do not last and are not covered by warranty) I guess I got what I paid for.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
If you're wanting to find something inexpensive to keep big stuff out, you could check out something on line. Here on Ebay is an example of many different sizes of strainers. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
Yes, that has been mentioned before...........but tea leaves and 74 microns are a wee bit different!!! Then again - if you are trying to keep large stuff out - a tea leaf strained would work well!

74 microns is about .0029" or about a human hair......unless of course it is a blonde hair.....:D:)

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I like that idea of a strainer. I've got some of that stainless mesh and the set up to solder it. My question is how much does it slow down the fuel going in? I fill my tractor with a five gallon no spill container.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I like that idea of a strainer. I've got some of that stainless mesh and the set up to solder it. My question is how much does it slow down the fuel going in? I fill my tractor with a five gallon no spill container.
As fast as you can pour;)..........now this strainer is 6" deep, almost hits the bottom of the tank, but does not!:)

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
It is really unfortunate that something like this even needs to be discussed. Kubota promotes itself as a world class manufacturer. Had I realized the truth of the Kubuta fuel filter situation on the BX I would have looked more at the competition. A fuel filter on a diesel machine is important and needs to be changed regularly. No fuel shut off means I need to pinch the line off to change the filters. FUN! Why does it need to be this way? Is profit more important that customer satisfaction? This is not the only short cut Kubota has taken. (cutting edge on buckets is soft, tie rod boots do not last and are not covered by warranty) I guess I got what I paid for.
My dealer covered my tie rod boots under warranty, no questions asked.

Bucknekid

Equipment
BX2370
Mar 24, 2017
Wellsburg WV
I replaced the rear filter before the pump with a filter/water separator off a L series. A few 90° fitting and clamps. I mounted it outside the frame using a loader bracket bolt. No more pulling the deck and skid plate.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I filter the fuel from my can before it ever gets to the tractor. Keep your fuel clean and you will have no worries. I did not need to change my fuel filters until I had almost 600 hours on my machine. That is considered normal maintenance according to the manual.

As a side note I also use an air hose to blow away grass clippings and dust away from the tractor fuel tank cap before opening it to fuel up. There is almost always a lot of loose crap around the filler cap that could fall into the tank if I did not blow it away before opening the filler cap.

The bottom line is, take reasonable care to prevent contaminants from entering the tank while re-fueling and you will prevent headaches down the line.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Ok...so around the same time I also ordered a filter from the same shop: Utah Biodiesel Supply.

Pros...mine fits inside the second lip of the BX25D tank...and hopefully I will not have to pull the tank the next time someone drops something in. Flush fit.

Cons...price...north of $70 with shipping. Took three weeks to get here.

Hopefully Utah Biodiesel Supply can take our designs, mass produce them and get the cost down.

The OD is 3.1" and the inner is 2.5". 100 micron mesh.

And yes...my cans have filters.

-Mac