Felling Ponderosa Pine Help

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
I have tripped lots of P pine. This one concerns me just a tad bit, and this time I am listening to my self. The tree on the left is dead but sound broken top snag approximately 70 feet tall and 24 inches in diameter. The tree on the right is a healthy P pine 34 inches in diameter. My first thought was to under cut it, back cut it and a couple of wedges and watch it fall. I can also duck behind the healthy p-pine. no problem. The voice in my head is saying barber chairing and smacking me in the head. I have had alder and birch barber chair but never a ponderosa. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
with that situation, I think I would cut it a little higher than "typical" - I take it that it can be fell to the left 90 degrees to the good tree? I would wedge it on left side of (picture) and then back cut to the point where you can get two wedge sets, one on either side of the "good" tree. Hammer away, and listen, then move like you said to the other side of the good pine.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I kinda, agree with 85Hokie, if you can go right or left of the good tree and cut it and waist height you should be good.
But with it already trying to go down parallel to the good tree, I would not fight forces, and drop it that way. Simple notch waist height (makes it faster to move) and then a slight downward back cut to help it from kicking back at the good tree.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Big wedge, half way through tree.
Angle back cut. If it can go the way its leaning the go with it.
If branches are intertwined you will likely need to tie a rope and pull it over.
Dry trees dont want to lean until almost cut right through,think cutting off a piece of dry lumber. Pulling it is even tricky as it wont lean.

Last edited:

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
One thing I've done while clearing jumbled trees in Alaska is get some heavy rope or 10K automobile ratchet straps and get on a ladder up high in two close trees. I created pressure high above where I was going to cut, in the direction I wanted it to fall, and use wedges and cuts to fall it in the correct direction. It takes a lot of time, and it's a PITA, but it has always worked for me

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
One inch drill bit,, modeling clay, 6 feet of cannon fuse and a pound of black powder yup that should do it

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I hear Primacord works pretty well.

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
When I was a kid most rural folks had dynamite. You could buy it at the local western auto store. A local neighbor logger also stocked it along with fuse and caps. My uncle use to dig ditches with primacord. He also salvaged houses by hanging a 1/4 stick down a couple of feet from the ceiling in each room. Did not blow it down but the concussion would loosen all then nails. Even now you here of people around here finding an old box of sawdust and a gooey mess.

and thanks for all the good advise folks...appreciate it. dropping it today and if you don't here back from me it has been good.

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
Everything worked like it should have. Had to pull it off lean by a couple of feet to keep from becoming a hanger. Undercut it more to the pull side, drove a wedge in and down it came on the mark. More next years firewood, hate burning ponderosa pine but that is what I have a lot of. It is shoulder season firewood and I save the Doug fir and tamerak for those sub zero times.

Thanks for the input

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Glad you got it down with out crashing something,, pine dont seem to work to well inthe air tight stoves but not bad inthe fire place

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Glad you were able to get it down safely and with no harm to the other trees