FEL level indicator

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I just purchased a new L3200 with a "Long" 4 in 1 bucket on it along with a backhoe attachment and box blade.
Is there any way to install a marker of sorts to show me that the front bucket is level?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Yes there is. I'm on vacation and can't get you a picture of it but, some tractors have a long skinny rod that is hooked to the top hinge of the bucket and comes up the arm to an anchor ( rod with a hole in it),. The skinny rod goes thru the other rod and has a paint mark on it ,or a bend, where the bucket is level . Hard to explain but easy to understand if you see one. Go to any tractor dealer and you'll probably see one. A friend has a Miranda that had one and I copied it.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
A piece of flat stock bent in a 90 and welded to the back of the bucket will work. Just set the bucket flat and weld it on at the correct angle on the back so you can see it from the seat. Here is a pic of the right side of my bucket. It's what mine came with from the factory. I had one with the rod on my B 7100 and it worked fine until it got bent by a limb. After that it was guess work anyway. After I got use to it I like the setup I have now.

Attachments

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Bulldog, I do have something similar to your picture on my Long Bucket now that I go by.
I thought there may be something better that I might be able to do or install that would allow me to see it better. I do not want to weld to the bucket just yet. I am still under warranty on the bucket, and do not want to do anything to the bucket that would give anyone ammo to cancel any future claim I may need to make.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I understand about not wanting weld on it. I felt the same way when I went to put my hooks on mine. That was one of the reasons I welded the hooks on plates and then bolted them on. Mine was only about 2 weeks old but I needed the hooks. Just couldn't make myself burn that shiny paint off.

Give the indicator a little time to get used to it. I didn't really like mine at first but after I got familiar with it I like it fine.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I don't worry much about the paint or it being shiny, although I do like to keep it clean and neat looking. I do know my purpose was getting it for working around the property. My only concern is "what if" something was to happen to the tractor or bucket? I would be up the creek without a paddle for warranty work. As it is, I already have an issue with the hydraulic pressure leaking somewhere. Dealer is coming to pick it up next week when they deliver my buddy's tractor who lives on the property next to mine.
Had I welded or modified the tractor already, I know the dealer would tell me I did something to the tractor to make it act this way.
As the old saying goes, "if it weren't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all".

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Maybe ask your dealer if they can weld on one for you, sometimes they dont mind doing small quick fab jobs to make a quick buck! I was in my local deal some time ago buying parts for mine and I over head them telling another customer they could modify his tractor to put a new seat on it. So perhaps thats one option you could try is see if the dealer will put one on.

Eddie Jr.

Equipment
B3200 HSD
Mar 27, 2011
Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada EH!
My dealer welded the hooks on my bucket for me before I even picked it up. I am sure they would do it for you for a few bucks.
I have the indicator like Bulldog has and find it works pretty well, even though I have to lean a little to the right to see it.
Good luck!
M.

53dudestoy

Equipment
94 B7100HST-D,FEL
Aug 24, 2010
sw pa
section of metal conduit+piece of all-thread or metal rod stock + couple hose clamps....you can make 1 pretty cheap & easy.
I painted metal rod tip orange...to see it better.

Attachments

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
53dudestoy,
That seems pretty simple to me. I will see if I can copy that one. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Last edited:

53dudestoy

Equipment
94 B7100HST-D,FEL
Aug 24, 2010
sw pa
No Problem Frankb!
you can add a couple nuts...double nutted to stay tight..if you use all thread. so as to not wear pipe as much & keep rod centered better.
nuts are optional anyways.
I just make things up as I go along. most of my "projects" arent fancy
or pretty but functional.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I am not sure about how to fasten the bottom side of rod yet. Just got home from Lowe's and got the clamps needed. Already have the outside tube, and hope I have the threaded rod, but if not, I have another excuse to go to town for the rod.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I got it all figured out and I have everything except a couple clamps which I will get tomorrow at my local Lowe's store. Everything has been measured, cut, mocked up and taken down for paint. All parts have been primed and are now drying with first coat of finish paint.

53dudestoy

Equipment
94 B7100HST-D,FEL
Aug 24, 2010
sw pa
I bent bottom end of rod in "L" shape & used a wooden block to give the correct height from cylinder ram to work in outer "tube"...so as to not rub as much on the tube & also to secure rod so it wont move,or change settings. hose clamped assembly on section of ram right above mounting,attaching pin hole section. still gives access to grease fitting.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Here is what I have done so far on my project.
I had a metal tube from a closet clothes rack that is about 3/4" in dia.
I used a 1/4" threaded rod. I put the "L" bend, but broke it the first time. Used heat to bend the second time and it did not break.
I installed 4 nuts to rod. Two to lock together in upper section and two locked together in lower section to keep centered in tube.
I used 4 #40 hose clamps. 3 to secure the tube to the cylinder, and one to secure the "L" portion of the rod to the end of cylinder ram on bucket side.
I bought a can of New Kubota Orange spray paint, and after cleaning and priming everything, I painted the tube and clamps orange. The rod I sprayed with gloss black Rustoleum paint to protect the rod from rusting in the tube.
I have the rod set to extend above the tube about 3/4" and will do final painting of the tip with a bright yellow to allow me to see it better.
I am putting it all together today in the garage on a level surface to make sure the rod is positioned properly.
It all worked on the mock-up, and I am sure it will work fine again now that it is all painted.
I would post pictures, but don't know how!

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Finished mounting the indicator and I think it looks great. It works perfectly as well.
I appreciate all the help and ideas. I have pictures if anyone can help me post them.
I now have some photos in an album, but need to get it to this area. Any ideas?
Frank

Last edited:

53dudestoy

Equipment
94 B7100HST-D,FEL
Aug 24, 2010
sw pa
Sure Frankb!
after clicking "post reply"...say what you want....scroll down on page
to "additional options" & click on "manage attachments"
a pop-up window will open. in that window click on "browse" in section
titled "upload file from your computer". another window will open
showing files/folders/sections on your pc.
search thru files/folders same as you normally would on your pc.
upon finding "picture" you want to add to post....double click on it.
that will add your file to "upload files from you pc" address bar.....
click on "upload"...wait until its finished uploading....will shows up as "uploaded attachments" then click on
"submit reply" at bottom of "additional options" section.

Attachments