FEL Bucket Strengthening

Jass

Equipment
L2501
Dec 26, 2016
Auburn,ca,usa
I plan to add some reinforcements to my front end loader bucket on a L2501 to strengthen the upper lip to add some hooks, plus add a thicker cutting edge at the bottom and sides for heavier duty scraping. Before i got started, I was wondering what some of you might have done to strengthen your buckets that you might be able to show pictures of to give me some ideas.

m35techa2

Equipment
Kubota BX1800
Dec 28, 2016
Galena, Ohio
I added some 1/4 plate to the top of the bucket, a while back a friend had an older skid steer that the bucket was in pretty bad shape, we cut out alot of it and replaced it with 1/4, 3/16 plate years later it is still going strong.

I think the weakest parts on the bucket are the sides, the base the cutting edge on most are thin, I know one of the members from Canada had installed a new cutting edge on the bottom of his FEL, hooks

Eldubya

Equipment
B7800FEL Bck hoe Box scraper Post auger Field rake
Apr 14, 2014
Quadra Island BC
That's a good idea and I wish I had done it. sooner.
I welded a 2' square tube receiver hitch (the kind you mount underneath your vehicle with a tow hitch) so that I could use the FEL for moving trailers around. Onto this I welded three chain-hooks. (works great!)
Well, on one occasion I had a huge trailer to move and the hitch weight was just about all I could lift. Dropping the bucket quickly actually bent the top of my bucket.:eek:
IF, the 2" tubing had been the full width of the bucket, I don't think that would have happened. So my advice here is: go the full width with whatever you do. It can't be "too strong".

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My bucket had the top edge bent down from the PO getting carried away when tightening the chain binders for the clamp-on forks. After I straightened it, I added a piece of 2" angle to the top edge to stiffen it. My buddy liked the idea, but he had grab hooks on the top edge, so he added his angle to the top edge inside the bucket. (sorry, no pics of that)

Attachments

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I plan to add some reinforcements to my front end loader bucket on a L2501 to strengthen the upper lip to add some hooks, plus add a thicker cutting edge at the bottom and sides for heavier duty scraping. Before i got started, I was wondering what some of you might have done to strengthen your buckets that you might be able to show pictures of to give me some ideas.
The top of the bucket on my B2650 has a nice 1/4" plate on it that I welded all of my hooks on so good shape there. I had always planned on putting a cutting edge on my bucket for wear and to strengthen it so it wouldnt bend in the middle. After one season of plowing and using it I was surprised the original cutting edge had worn. In all fairness, a couple of the drives I do are concrete so that really speeds up the process. Kubota doesnt make a bolt on cuttting edge the exact size, so I bought a longer one and cut it to length. You have to center the cutting edge exactly because they are reversible and you can unbolt them and turn it around when you need to. The other thing I had to do is weld in a 1" wide x 3/8" thick filler strip to support the back of the new cutting edge which also helps strengthen the bottom of the bucket . The hardest thing to do is drill the new holes to bolt the cutting edge on because I had to drill through the old cutting edge. I was able to borrow a mag drill from my buddy with the exact size cutter, which was 1/2". The mag drill drilled the holes like going through butter with one pass. I couldnt believe how easy that part was with the right tool. I then cut the new cutting edge to length with my 4 1/2 grinder with cut off blade and bolted the new edge on. It has worked out very well and really strengthens the bottom of the bucket.

View attachment 26266

View attachment 26267

View attachment 26268

View attachment 26269

View attachment 26270

Last edited:

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Pin on or SSQA bucket?

The SSQA buckets already have that thick plate across the top that makes a great place to bolt or weld hooks to.

If it's a pin on, then you can weld a piece of angle iron to "box" the top lip and add strength.

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Adding a cutting edge before existing one is gone is a great idea. Did one,it was a little long also. Tacked every nut after they were tight and cut excess off. Took a little getting used to but worked well.mounted ball to right side of bucket, could see it easier and also easier to see past trailer. Only on one side ,should have done both sides.

Last edited:

C15TA

Equipment
170 Allis Chalmers , 580E Case & BX25D
Oct 1, 2015
Castleton ON
rkidd did you buy the bucket edge from Kubota and if so do you happen to have the part number? My dealer's parts guy can only look stuff up by exact application and seems unwilling to do any searching. He has in his mind that my BX25 does not have a bolt on replacement edge so I am wasting his time.:confused:
Barry

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
rkidd did you buy the bucket edge from Kubota and if so do you happen to have the part number? My dealer's parts guy can only look stuff up by exact application and seems unwilling to do any searching. He has in his mind that my BX25 does not have a bolt on replacement edge so I am wasting his time.:confused:
Barry
That is pretty funny. All he has to do is look up a bigger tractor that has a bigger bucket with a bolt on edge! No problem. Yes it is a Kubota cutting edge that my dealer was happy to look up and sell to me. Part number is 75585-79810. I cut off about 5" from each end to make it fit my 60" bucket. Hope this helps. Any other questions feel free to ask. It makes a big difference to strengthen up the bucket!! As Paul Short said, it keeps the bucket from getting the smiley face. :)

Jass

Equipment
L2501
Dec 26, 2016
Auburn,ca,usa
Great inputs. How about the sides of the bucket? Has anyone beefed up the sides as well and maybe have some pictures of that?

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Great inputs. How about the sides of the bucket? Has anyone beefed up the sides as well and maybe have some pictures of that?
If you have the ssqa bucket as Kenny says it has a nice heavy plate on top already. If you do the cutting edge as I did you should not have any problem with the rest of the bucket unless you are doing something you should not be doing with a tractor bucket.

C15TA

Equipment
170 Allis Chalmers , 580E Case & BX25D
Oct 1, 2015
Castleton ON
rkidd, thanks for the info on the bucket edge. I was out again today wearing out my bucket. I will call the dealer on Tuesday and get that edge ordered.
Thanks again.
Barry

Jass

Equipment
L2501
Dec 26, 2016
Auburn,ca,usa
My bucket it the standard pin on bucket, not the SSQA. The standard bucket has side walls that are appro 3/16" steel, whereas if you look at the picture you posted of the SSQA bucket it has an extra 1/4" plate welded all along the side leading edge. I think it is a good idea to add the 1/4" on those sidewall leading edges.

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
A local guy welded this piece of round tube inside the back lip of my light material bucket. He ran a bead all across the top, the edges, and then where the hooks went. He left the rest of the bottom open so water could drain. Then he welded 2 hooks in front of the loader arm. It's been working great!

Attachments